Read on only if you don't mind reading spoilers for the film.
|Writer(s):|| Rhett Reese|
|Expected Release:||Feburary 12, 2016|
Deadpool is an upcoming film now in development as part of the X-Men franchise.
To be added
In February 2004, New Line Cinema attempted to produce a Deadpool film with writer/director David S. Goyer working on the spin-off and actor Ryan Reynolds in the title role. However, by August, Goyer lost interest in favor of other projects. In March 2005, 20th Century Fox became interested in moving forward on production for Deadpool after New Line Cinema put the project in turnaround.
The studio considered the Deadpool spin-off early in the development of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, with Reynolds being cast for the role. After the opening weekend success of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, the studio announced that it was lending Deadpool out to writers with Donner acting as a producer. Donner said that she wants the film to ignore the Deadpool of X-Men Origins: Wolverine and reboot the character. She also stated that Deadpool will have the attributes that the character has in the comics, such as breaking the fourth wall.
Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick were hired to write the script in January 2010. Robert Rodriguez was sent an early draft of the screenplay in June 2010, but negotiations broke down and Adam Berg as the top contender to direct.
In April 2011, visual effects specialist Tim Miller was hired as director.
On July 28, 2014, visual effects test footage for the film was leaked on the internet through social news sites and movie blogs. The test footage features the motion capture work and the voice of Ryan Reynolds, and was produced in 2012. On July 29, the test footage was officially released online by Blur Studio, the company who created the test footage. Fan reaction to the test footage was overwhelmingly positive.
On September 18, 2014, the film was officially announced with a release date of February 6, 2016 with Tim Miller set as the director.
On October 4, 2014, ComicBook.com stated that producer Simon Kinberg confirmed that the film would be set in the same shared cinematic universe with the other X-Men films. On October 16, Kinberg told ComicBook.com, "There's definitely a sort of overall plan that we've all been talking about for the X-Men universe now, and Deadpool obviously fits into that. So yeah, I guess I would say it's part of certainly an overall timeline and thought process that goes into these films."
On January 6, 2015, The Wrap reported that T.J. Miller and Ed Skrein are being eyed for roles in the film. Specifically, Miller is reportly in talks to protray a character who "serves as an additional comic voice to compliment Deadpool, who often breaks the fourth wall and speaks directly to the audience." while Skrein is being eyed as a villian for the film.
- A 3 minute test reel was shot in January 2012 in an attempt to convince the heads of the studio to move forward with the movie. On August 1st 2014, the footage was released to the public, and based on the overwhelmingly positive response from fans, the film's chances of being made are higher than ever.
- This movie is the second X-Men spinoff that does not revolve around Wolverine. The first being X-Men: First Class in which Hugh Jackman plays a cameo appearence and Gambit, which will focus on the title character.
- ↑ Deadpool And Gambit: The Long Road To 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'... And Beyond?
- ↑ Goyer Confirms Deadpool
- ↑ Goyer Nixes Deadpool
- ↑ The Latest on The Flash & Deadpool
- ↑ 'Deadpool' spinoff in works at Fox
- ↑ The Future of the X-Men Franchise: Deadpool
- ↑ Fox taps Deadpool writers
- ↑ Comic-Con: Robert Rodriguez Has Read 'Deadpool' Script, Doesn't Know If He'll Direct
- ↑ A New Entrant Into The 'Deadpool'
- ↑ Fox Sets Tim Miller to Direct 'Deadpool'
- ↑ Leaked! VFX Test Footage From DEADPOOL Movie!
- ↑ Deadpool Test Footage by Blur Studios
- ↑ Ryan Reynolds Talks Reaction To Leaked Deadpool Footage
- ↑ X-Men Spinoff ‘Deadpool’ to Hit Theaters Feb. 12, 2016
- ↑ Simon Kinberg Confirms Deadpool Movie Is Part Of Shared X-Men Cinematic Universe
- ↑ Simon Kinberg Talks X-Men, Fantastic Four, And Deadpool
- ↑ Uh... It's Chimichanga Time. pic.twitter.com/ZlknW4HOtj
- ↑ Ryan Reynolds In 'Deadpool' Deal
- ↑ Ryan Reynolds Announces His Return as Deadpool on Twitter
- ↑ Ryan Reynolds’ ‘Deadpool’ Eyes ‘Silicon Valley’s’ T.J. Miller, ‘Transporter Legacy’s’ Ed Skrein (Exclusive)
- ↑ Deadpool Set to Begin Production in March as Ryan Reynolds Signs on to Return
- ↑ Ryan Reynolds to shoot 'Deadpool' in hometown Vancouver
|Films|| X-Men | X2 | X-Men: The Last Stand | X-Men Origins: Wolverine | X-Men: First Class | The Wolverine|
X-Men: Days of Future Past
|Development||Deadpool | X-Men: Apocalypse | Wolverine 3 | X-Force | Gambit | Other|
|Released||X-Men | X2 | The Last Stand | First Class | Days of Future Past|
|Development||Apocalypse | X-Force | Other|