|Alias(es)|| Weapon XI|
|Appeared in|| X-Men Origins: Wolverine|
|Status|| Alive (Original Timeline)|
Alive (New Timeline)
|Actor|| Ryan Reynolds|
Scott Adkins (stunts only)
- "All I ever wanted was to travel to far-off, exotic places, meet new and exciting people, and then kill them, so I became a mercenary. My name is Wade Wilson. And I love what I do."
- ―Wade Wilson[src]
Wade Wilson is a mercenary. He has superhuman strength, stamina, agility and reflexes. He is an expert marksman, swordsman, and martial artist. Due to experimentation he was given mutations of other mutants and was called Weapon XI or Deadpool.
During the Vietnam War, Wade Wilson is recruited by William Stryker and teamed up with Logan, Victor Creed, Fred Dukes, John Wraith, Chris Bradley, and Agent Zero on Team X. He is shown to be an excellent mercenary, however his witty comments are his flaw, William Stryker even says "If you didn't have that mouth on you, Wade, you'd be the perfect soldier."
When the team breaks up, Stryker experiments on him, giving him additional abilities, acquired from other mutants, such as optic eye blasts (from Scott Summers), teleportation (from John Wraith), technopathy (from Chris Bradley) and regenerative healing (from Wolverine). Stryker also seals Wade's mouth, gives him an Adamantium skeleton and two retractable arm blades and renames him Weapon XI - the mutant "Deadpool".
After Logan frees the captured mutants, Dr. Carol Frost said the project was not finished but Stryker said to do it anyway. Stryker activates Weapon XI to fight Logan. In the ensuing fight, Victor shows up fights alongside Logan. Working together the two are able to defeat him when Victor distracts Wade long enough for Logan to decpitate him.
Later Deadpool's arm slowly pulls its implanted blade back inside his body, then it moves further, in search. Deadpool's head is seen, mouth no longer sealed, opening his eyes and whispering a short "Shh", revealing that he is still alive.
There is file on Wade on one of Stryker's computers.
His name was on a prison cell door.
- "Just promise me you'll do right by me, so I can do right by someone else. And don't make the suit green... or animated!"
To be added
Powers and Abilities
Wilson's reflexes are enhanced to levels unobtainable by normal human beings. He has demonstrated this by dodging and deflecting bullets. He even cut one in half with a katana.
- Superhuman Agility: Wilson's agility, balance, and body coordination are enhanced to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of even the finest human athlete.
After Weapon X experimentations Wade also gained the following abilities:
- Optic Blasts: Wilson's eyes were engineered to allow him to emit similar optic blasts to those Scott Summers produces. He has limited control of this however and when he unleashes these blasts the surrounding skin is burned creating his signature eye markings.
- Implanted Blades: Two Adamantium blades were implanted in his forearms, and can retract at will much like Wolverine's claws.
- Healing Factor: During his transformation, Weapon XI was given Wolverine's regenerative healing factor (although slightly slow at first), allowing him to heal most wounds (he was able to survive decapitation).
- Phase-Jumping: Wilson was given John Wraith's ability to teleport from place to place almost instantaneously.
- Technopathy: Chris Bradley's ability to control electrical/wireless devices and receive electrical/wireless signals was also given to Wilson. William Stryker used this to activate, command, and control Weapon XI.
It is possible that some of these powers (such as the implanted blades and optic blasts) were damaged or rendered ineffective as a result of Wade's decapitation. It was also mentioned that his procedure was "incomplete".
Wilson is an expert martial artist, marksman, and sword fighter.
- Wolverine - Former Teammate turned enemy.
- Victor Creed - Former Teammate turned enemy.
- John Wraith - Former Teammate.
- Chris Bradley - Former Teammate.
- William Stryker - Former Boss.
- Agent Zero - Former Teammate.
- Fred Dukes - Former Teammate.
- Weasel - Friend.
- Copycat - Love interest.
- Ajax - Enemy.
Behind the scenes
- Deadpool was supposed to have only a cameo in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, but his role grew larger after Ryan Reynolds was cast.
- Ryan Reynolds went through an intense training to match Hugh Jackman's physical form.
- In the scenes featuring the Weapon XI, Ryan Reynolds does all the closeups and the standing shots, while Scott Adkins performs some of the dangerous stunt works.
- During filming the test footage for Deadpool, Reynolds wore a motion capture suit.
- Canon (3 films)
- Canon (1 game)
- X-Men: The Official Game (Name only)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
- Wade Wilson: "Great. Stuck in an elevator with five guys on a high-protein diet dreams really do come true."
- Logan: "Oh, my God. Do you ever shut up, pal?"
- Wade Wilson: "No. Not when I'm awake."
- Wade Wilson: "Okay... people are dead."
- Wade Wilson: "I love this weapon more than any other thing in the whole wide world, and you wanna know why?"
- Victor Creed: "No."
- In the comics, Deadpool is a mercenary who wears a red and black costume, uses a wide variety of firearms, swords, and knives in battle, uses a small device to teleport, has an unstable healing factor superior to Wolverine's, is mentally insane, and breaks the fourth wall. In X-Men Origins: Wolverine, however, Deadpool's mouth is closed, his only weapons are long swords that come from his wrists, he only wears red pants and black shoes, can naturally teleport, fires Cyclops' optic blasts from his eyes, and shows no signs of insanity. In fact, Wade Wilson before his transformation to Weapon XI shares much more in common with the comics version of Deadpool, such as his mercenary status and comedic nature.
- Weapon XI is mocked in the 2011 video game Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds. If the player plays as Deadpool and beats Wolverine, he says, "And that's how you beat Wolverine, people... AND YOU DON'T EVEN NEED OPTIC BLASTS! MUAHAHAHAHA!" This is a reference to the fact Deadpool can fire Cyclops' optic blasts from his eyes in the film.
- In Deadpool's comic book appearances he is known for breaking the fourth wall, and has even interacted with his writers and tends to speak to the reader.
- Blade: Trinity director David S. Goyer was going to write and directed the film for New Line Cinema with Reynolds as Deadpool.
- In 2011, it was announced that there will be created a Deadpool movie, with Ryan Reynolds as the main character which is aimed for 2014. Producer Lauren Shuler Donner has stated it will be more faithful to the comics, discarding the Weapon XI incarnation seen in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
- In the credits Weapon XI is credited solely for as Scott Adkins, but Reynolds also played the character - he mentioned in an interview of how he managed to speak and drink, when his mouth was being "gone" meaning when he was portraying Weapon XI.
- Along with his extra mutant powers, one of the things Stryker did to Wilson was have his mouth surgically shut, making him the perfect soldier in Stryker's eyes, which is why Weapon XI is shown without a mouth.
- In X-Men: The Official Game, his name appears above a cell door in one of Wolverine's levels, though he doesn't make an appearance.
- The black tattoos Wilson recieves when he becomes Weapon XI in several cases outline the areas where patches of his comic book suit are black.
- The scar tissue and occasional black coloring around Wilson's eyes as Weapon XI, as well as his lack of a mouth, are designed to evoke his comic book mask.
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Behind the scenes
Promotion, Filming, and Concept art
- ↑ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1431045/combined
- ↑ De Semlyen, Nick. The Future of the X-Men Franchise: Deadpool; Empire (2009-10-16)