|Alias(es)|| Tony Stark|
|Appeared in|| Iron Man|
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 3
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Captain America: Civil War
Avengers: Infinity War
|Actor|| Robert Downey Jr.|
Davin Ransom (young)
- "I am Iron Man. The suit and I are one. To turn over the Iron Man suit would be to turn over myself, which is tantamount to indentured servitude or prostitution, depending on what state you're in. You can't have it."
- ―Tony Stark[src]
Anthony "Tony" Stark is a billionaire industrialist and inventor. He is the former CEO of Stark Industries, a conglomerate originally started by his father, Howard Stark. While in Afghanistan, Stark was captured by Ten Rings, and was ordered to build the Jericho missile for them. Instead, he, along with Ho Yinsen, used their resources to build a suit of armor and make their escape. Returning to America, Stark improves his armor and becomes the superhero Iron Man.
Stark is still human, with the exception of an Arc Reactor in his chest. However, by the end of Iron Man 3, he has the shrapnel removed, no longer needing the arc reactor. He is one of the richest, smartest, and most powerful men in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. His power, however, comes from his high-tech battle suit known as the Iron Man Armor, which grants him extraordinary strength, durability, flight capabilities, and various on-board weaponry. He is a founding member of the Avengers.
Anthony Edward Stark was born to Howard and Maria Stark on May 29, 1970, but his early life was often dominated by the absence of his father who he would later describe as 'cold' and 'calculating'. Tony was also highly annoyed by Howard's constant talk about Captain America. However from an early age, he quickly stole the spotlight with his brilliant and unique mind. At age four he built his first circuit board, at age six his first engine, and at seventeen he graduated summa cum laude from MIT. Stark claimed that at age 14, he still had a nanny. Then his parents were killed in a car accident in 1991. Howard Stark's lifelong friend Obadiah Stane became the CEO of Stark Industries. At age twenty-one that same year, Tony became the new CEO and ushered in a new era for his father's legacy, creating smarter weapons, advanced robotics, and satellite targeting. He changed the face of the weapons industry.
On New Year's Eve in 1999, Stark, with his scientist paramour Maya Hansen, met Ho Yinsen who introduced Tony to Dr. Wu. After Tony arrogantly avoided crippled scientist Aldrich Killian, who wanted Stark's backing in his endeavor Advanced Ideas Mechanics. Tony completely forgot about the man, after promising to meet him on the roof, in favor of spending time with scientist Maya, offering some brief observations on her work and then leaving the morning after, unaware that Killian would become vengeful of Tony's set up.
- "I had my eyes opened. I came to realize that I had more to offer this world than just making things that blow up. And that is why, effective immediately, I am shutting down the weapons manufacturing division of Stark Industries."
- ―Tony Stark[src]
Tony skipped an award ceremony to gamble at a nightclub, forcing his friend Obadiah Stane to accept the award on his part, something Rhodey would confront him about later. When Tony was heading home, he was asked some questions by reporter Christine Everhart, but ended up sleeping with her instead. The next day he embarked on a trip he was 3 hours late for to Afghanistan.
During the business trip to demonstrate the Stark Industries' new weapon, the "Jericho" cluster missile, Tony's convoy is attacked by terrorists. One of his own company's bombs lands near him and explodes. The blast causes him to lose consciousness and embeds several pieces of shrapnel in his chest, one fragment dangerously close to his heart. He wakes up some time later with an electromagnet attached to his chest. Hooked up to a car battery, the electromagnet keeps the shrapnel from entering his heart and killing him.
Tony has been captured by the terrorist group Ten Rings, who order him to build a Jericho missile for them. Instead, he and fellow captive Dr. Yinsen secretly build a crude but strong power armor (Mark 1) fueled by a miniature "arc reactor", a smaller version of a power source previously invented by Tony. The arc reactor supplies energy to an electromagnet which prevents embedded shrapnel from reaching Tony's heart, which would kill him. Dr. Yinsen is killed in the ensuing escape attempt when he stalls the guards to buy Tony enough time to power up the suit. Using the suit, Tony kills several terrorists, destroys their weapons stockpile, and escapes, though his suit is destroyed as he crash lands in the desert. Upon being picked up by the Air Force and returning to the United States, Tony declares that his company will, for the time being, no longer manufacture weapons. His father's friend and business partner, Obadiah Stane, tells him that this move is blocked by the board members shortly after.
Tony retreats from public view, focusing on the design of his power suit, refining its size and flight capability (Mark 2). He asks Pepper to help him take his old arc reactor out and to put in a new one. During his first public appearance since his return to the United States, he is accosted by Christine Everhart, who shows him pictures of Stark Industries weapons in the hands of terrorist groups, including the Jericho missiles he refused to build for them. He also discovers that Obadiah has been "dealing under the table", supplying weapons to both the U.S. troops and the terrorists, as well as being the one to shut Tony out of the board while he recovers. Faced with the realization of what his company has done, Tony dons the power suit (Mark 3) and flies to Afghanistan, rescuing Yinsen's village from the Ten Rings. In destroying their weapon stockpiles, he accidentally draws the attention of the United States Air Force and his friend and company military liaison, Lieutenant Colonel James Rhodes. Two F-22 Raptors are ordered to take out the unknown target, and during the confrontation one of the Raptors loses its left wing when it accidentally collides with Tony. The pilot ejects shortly afterwards, but his parachute jams. Realizing this, Tony dives down to help the pilot release his parachute before escaping.
Determined to make amends for his mistakes, Tony sends Pepper to find the shipping records of Stark Industries, so he can track down the illicit shipments and destroy them. While hacking into the system, she discovers that it was Obadiah who hired the Ten Rings to kill Tony, but they had reneged on the deal when they realized who the target was. She also discovers that Obadiah has recovered the power suit prototype and has reverse engineered his own version. However, his team of scientists, not possessing Tony's genius, cannot engineer the miniature arc reactor to power the new suit.
Obadiah, upon realizing Pepper's discovery, paralyzes Tony and steals his arc reactor from his chest to power his new suit, leaving Tony to die, callously reminding him that 'just because you invented something. It doesn't mean you own it'. Using his first reactor, which was not designed to power his latest armor, Tony battles with Obadiah atop Stark Industries and the surrounding streets, defeating him when the full-sized arc reactor that powers the lab is deliberately overloaded by Pepper. Afterwards, Tony's alter ego is dubbed "Iron Man" by the press. Tony holds a press conference where his S.H.I.E.L.D. contacts advise him to state that Iron Man is Tony's bodyguard. However, he instead announces that he actually is Iron Man after Christine Everhart expresses her doubt.
Later, Tony arrives home and is greeted by a mysterious visitor standing by the window. He reveals himself as Nick Fury, Director of S.H.I.E.L.D., warns him that he is not the only 'super hero' in the world, and mentions the Avengers Initiative.
Iron Man: Security Measures
When S.H.I.E.L.D. was investigating the Iron Man armor, they tried to hack Stark's home computer, but Stark detected them and tracked the signal of the S.H.I.E.L.D. satellite through a shell corporation which he blew up.
Iron Man: Fast Friends
Sometime before Tony was captured by the Ten Rings, Rhodey was present in Arizona when Tony was presenting his accelerated wave explosion. One hour later Tony went to a nightclub along with Rhodey. In the nightclub, Tony is punched in the face by a man in the club upset with him after his girlfriend left with Stark a week prior. Rhodey then intervenes, and punches the man back.
After the death of Obadiah Stane, Rhodey had Tony go to the hospital. When Tony asked what hospital they were going to, Rhodey said it was a "surprise", when they were actually heading to a S.H.I.E.L.D. base where Agent Coulson was waiting for them. Coulson explains to Stark he is not efficient in battle, and Stark asks Rhodey what is going on. Rhodey tells Stark he may be getting recruited. Stark claimed he knows how to fight, but Coulson said "Not yet.". Coulson then presents Stark and Rhodey their headquarters explaining to them what they do at S.H.I.E.L.D. Coulson then told them that they had Pepper Potts schedule a conference about the battle. When Stark asked what he should say in the conference, Rhodey bets that they will give him a script and hopes Tony will stick with it, which Coulson confirms. As S.H.I.E.L.D. wants the whole episode as quiet as possible, Stark promises he knows when to be quiet. The next day Tony reveals to the world that he's Iron Man.
I Am Iron Man!
After Fury offered Stark the opportunity to join the Avengers Initiative, Stark rejected the offer and told Fury to leave, but Fury warned him that he will keep an eye on him.
Sometime after revealing that he's Iron Man, Tony uses his suit to have some fun on a yacht with some girls, and he later tells his personal chauffeur and bodyguard Harold "Happy" Hogan that he missed out on the fun.
Later at a party, Pepper told Tony that Colonel Rhodes wanted to speak with him, she told Rhodes to wait for Stark in his house. Stark asked her why she doesn't call him Rhodey like everyone else, but thanked her for relaying the message to him. When he returned home, Rhodey told him that ever since he revealed to everyone that he is Iron Man, he discovered a new hobby: covering for Tony. Tony simply joked saying that he was there for business unrelated to the military. As they went downstairs, Rhodey asked him if he was the one who hit the depot in Pavlodar. Tony said if he thought that he was interested in a Ten Rings sect in cahoots with rogue Russian nationalists, then that would be his next vacation spot, they could do worse in Kazakhstan in Spring. Rhodes confirmed that the Ten Rings were involved, but at least the Hostages were okay, as they could have died. Tony told him that nobody will die on his watch. Rhodey claims that it was a matter of protocol and that Tony was making people nervous by rushing and dealing with situations before they can officially deploy him. Tony appreciated that the military wanted him to work with them, but told Rhodey to try living with the Arc Reactor sitting in his chest, pointing out that if it wasn't for the reactor, he wouldn't be Iron Man. Rhodey informed Tony that his superiors had him writing an evaluation of Iron Man. J.A.R.V.I.S. tells Tony about an emergency at Al Kūt as Rhodey receives a phone call about the situation. He then asks Tony to do reconnaissance before going to Al Kūt, but Tony told him that people were dying, so he put on his armor and left.
In Al Kūt, Stark defeated all of the Ten Rings members and saved the news crew that was over there. Later in the Gulf of Aden, he took out a boat of Somali Pirates.
While visiting his father's mansion, Tony remembered something his former butler Edwin Jarvis said: "Time heals all wounds". J.A.R.V.I.S. asked him why he was installed there, Tony said it was a force of habit, stating that Jarvis had always been there and was always the happiest to see him when Tony visited from Boarding School. Tony checked his father's library, and told J.A.R.V.I.S. that his father never let him go in there, he always had to sneak in when Howard was out of the house, but never found anything good in there. J.A.R.V.I.S. interrupted Tony telling him that they had an incoming Priority Alert. Tony declared that it was time for another vacation in the desert. Tony then headed to Afghanistan where he called Pepper who was waiting for him in a board meeting at Stark Industries. He told her to keep his seat warm and to keep a smile like everything was fine. In Afghanistan, the Ten Rings had planted mines, so Stark thought they were trying to leave a message for him and decided to leave a message of his own, by firing his Magna-Drone which retrieved all of the mines.
When Tony returned from Afghanistan, Pepper and Rhodey visited. Pepper asked if he had a "nice holiday" and Rhodey told him that Justin Hammer had started to get friendly with his superiors and that Stark was coming across as more and more independent when it came to the work he's doing for them. Rhodey received a call informing him that the Aerodynamic Marvel was shot down and fell into enemy territory. Rhodey told Tony that they had a trained airman to pilot the machine and he had been taken captive. Tony put his armor on and went to save the pilot. Once successfully saving the pilot, General Ross ordered Stark to land on Cairo West Air Base immediately. Stark then met with Ross who informed him that they had picked up on a shoot-out with the Congolese army and yet Stark didn't return fire, stating that when someone fires on an American, that American has to fire back. He also told Stark that by claiming that he won't manufacture any more weapons, he was distancing himself from his father's legacy. Stark warned him if he heard about another innocent being put in harm's way that there will be consequences. Stark then left Egypt and returned home.
Iron Man 2: Fist of Iron
As Tony was driving to a meeting on Gorani Insurance, Pepper called him telling him that he gets easily distracted; telling Tony to make to the meeting on time. When Tony asks Pepper if Evetta Gorani is taking over the company, Pepper asks him if he's talking about her because she's attractive, and Stark replies by asking if she thinks he's the type of man who would be distracted in a business meeting just because he came across an attractive vice president. Pepper replies that she does think that. Tony is then stopped by the police, and Pepper thinks Tony did something wrong, but Tony assures her he didn't do anything. One of the officers tells Tony there was a museum robbery, in which five men stole over a hundred million dollars worth of impressionist paintings, and they escaped in a red SUV. Stark tells Pepper why he was stopped, but she isn't persuaded because it made him more late for the meeting and tells him to not stop for anything else. However as he drives, Stark passes by an attractive woman and he stops to ask if she had a flat tire, which she confirms. She also tells him she's late for a meeting. Stark then changes the tire and asks for her number, saying to write it on the tire, enter it on his phone, or wait till fate brings them together again. After she leaves Pepper calls again asking if he got dumped. Stark says that he's just waiting for fate and tells her she should have told him that she was still on the phone. Pepper jokes saying that if she had told him, she would missed all the fun and then reminds him to not miss the meeting. As they talk, Tony encounters the thieves the officer told him about, and sees the paintings inside the SUV. They see Stark, but Tony goes to his Audi, where he picks the glove off his suit, defeating the thieves. Stark then arrives at the meeting where he realizes the woman he encountered earlier was Evetta Gorani. Tony finds out that Gorani Insurance insured the museum the thieves robbed, and his actions saved the company over 100 million dollars by retrieving the stolen property.
Iron Man 2: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
As some S.H.I.E.L.D. agents discover the Ten Rings' cell control in a vessel, Iron Man arrived on the scene and destroyed the cell control and defeated many of the terrorists. Before leaving, he recorded a conversation that a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent had with Fury.
- "It's good to be back!"
- ―Tony Stark[src]
Six months after revealing his Identity to the world and has since then helped maintain world peace. Tony appears as Iron Man at the grand Opening of The Stark Expo in Flushing Meadows, New York, continuing the Legacy his Father started. Unfortunately Tony's life isn't as good as it appears. He is faced with two threats: One in the form of his own heart, it seems the Arc Reactor palladium core is poisoning him causing him a slow painful death due to over uses of the Iron Man armor.
The second threat is from a Senate committee hearing, led by Senator Stern, demanding that Tony should release his technology of the Iron Man armor for military applications. Tony refuses, believing that it's not in the best interest of the American people for the military to possess that which they'll use as a weapon that could very well be used against America. Senator Stern tries to turn Tony's best friend Lt. Colonel James Rhodes against him in an effort to force him. His competitor Justin Hammer tries to plead his case in the matter, Tony takes this opportunity to embarrass both Justin and Stern with a collection of video footage of Justin and others around the world attempting to recreating the complex technology. Tony arrogantly states that it will take years before anyone will be able to successfully recreate the tech.
Tony returns to his home where he and J.A.R.V.I.S. try to find a solution in finding a new power source for the Arc Reactor. Uncertain of his outcome of survival, Tony appoints his former personal assistant Pepper CEO of Stark Industries, replacing her with Natalie Rushman.
Growing increasingly despondent and thrill-seeking as a consequence of what he believes to be his impending death, Tony races at the Monaco Grand Prix, where Ivan Vanko, who has constructed an arc reactor of his own, along with whip-like energy weapons, attacks Tony. With the aid of Pepper and Happy Hogan who hands him his portable briefcase armor. Tony dons the Mark V armor and defeats Ivan.
Afterward, Tony pays Ivan a visit in a French prison to find out how he acquired the technology. During the conversation, Ivan reveals that he is the son of Anton Vanko, who collaborated with Howard on the first arc reactor but was deported back to the Soviet Union and died in poverty. Ivan blames the Starks for his family's fate, and seeks revenge. Ivan also mentions he's fully aware of Tony's current heart poisoning, saying it's a painful way to die.
On Route back home with Pepper to celebrate his upcoming Birthday, Tony attempts to tell her the truth behind his current series of reckless acts. Wanting to escape from all his current problems Tony tries to convince Pepper to take a detour in Italy. Unfortunately due to the media pressure of the recent incident in Monaco with Whiplash has everyone on edge demanding that Tony turn over the technology now. Ivan escapes prison thanks to Justin who intends to use Ivan's knowledge of Tony's technology to create his own army of armored soldiers to discredit Iron Man.
Tony throws what he believes will be his last birthday party, gets roaring drunk while wearing the Iron Man armor and indulges in dangerous activities, forcing his friend, Rhodey, to intervene. Rhodey dons Tony's Mark II armor and after almost destroying Tony's house in the resulting fight, delivers the armor to the military. The next day, Nick Fury, director of S.H.I.E.L.D., approaches Tony, revealing Natalie as undercover agent Natasha Romanoff and that Howard was a S.H.I.E.L.D. founder. Fury gives Tony some of Howard's old material to aid in finding a cure for the palladium poisoning. A hidden message in the diorama of the 1974 Stark Expo proves to be a diagram of a new element's atomic structure. With the aid of his computer J.A.R.V.I.S., Tony synthesizes the new element and cures himself. Afterward, Ivan contacts Tony, revealing he is still alive and set on revenge. Tony dons the newly-constructed Mark VI armor and files off to the Expo.
At the Expo, Justin unveils his new military drones, captained by Rhodey wearing a heavily weaponized version of the Mark II armor known as War Machine. Tony as Iron Man arrives to warn Rhodey, but Ivan seizes control of both the drones and Rhodey's armor, setting them to attack Iron Man. Pepper has Hammer arrested while Tony's bodyguard Happy Hogan and Agent Romanoff race to Hammer's Queens facility. They find Ivan has already left, but Natasha is able to turn over control of the Mark II armor to Rhodes.
Eliminating the remaining drones, Tony and Rhodey are confronted by Ivan in his new, more powerful suit of armor. He is defeated when Tony and Rhodey fire repulsor rays at each other, triggering an explosion beside Ivan. Too injured to continue the fight, Ivan ignites his and drones' self-destruct bombs, apparently killing himself in the process. Tony races to save Pepper amid a series of explosions. Pepper quits her position as CEO, and she and Tony kiss. Rhodey departs with the Mark II armor without serious objection from Tony.
At a debriefing, while showing news footage of another superhuman event, Fury informs Tony that while Iron Man is a suitable candidate for the "Avengers Initiative", Tony himself is not. S.H.I.E.L.D. wants Tony in a consultant position, to which Tony agrees on the condition that Senator Stern present himself and Rhodey with their medals for bravery.
By the night he was fighting Rhodey at his birthday party, Stark only had around 72 hours to live.
- "What if I told you we were putting a team together?"
- ―Tony Stark[src]
After failing to capture the Hulk and the Abomination is defeated General Ross goes to a bar to drink. Tony Stark walks in and the two trade a few jabs at each other. Tony finishes by saying "We're putting together a team." Ross replies "Who's we?" He also mentions the Super Soldier Serum, saying "it was put on ice for a reason".
To prevent General Ross from freeing the Abomination, Coulson sent Stark to deliberately offend Ross. After the conversation that was seen in The Incredible Hulk, Ross got angry at Stark and wanted him out of the bar but Stark bought the bar instead.
The Avengers Initiative
Tony goes to Dubai and is attacked by a couple of Raiders.
S.H.I.E.L.D. continued to observe Stark's actions as he was seen on their computer screens.
- "If we can't protect the Earth, you can be damn well sure we'll avenge it."
- ―Tony Stark[src]
Stark takes an instant liking to Bruce Banner and attempts to justify the Hulk's existence. He and Rogers become divided over Stark's attempt to hack and expose dark secrets S.H.I.E.L.D. is keeping. While the Avengers begin a heated argument, Stark and Rogers spit insults at each other and almost turn to blows before Loki's men attack the hellicarrier. Stark and Rogers attempt to reboot the power supply to a failing engine and Stark's suit is badly damaged during this. Tony is deeply hurt by the murder of Agent Coulson at the hands of Loki, after a talk with Steve, he individually works out Loki's next attack. Stark and Rogers agree that the Avengers should become independent from S.H.I.E.L.D. and assemble at Stark Tower.
Stark confronts Loki at Stark Tower where Loki is to open the portal to the Chitauri's fleet and swears to avenge the death of Coulson. After being thrown from the window, Stark assembles Iron Man Mark 7 and begins to attack the Chitauri invaders. While the battle intensifies, Stark intercepts a nuclear missile heading for New York and flies it directly into the portal, destroying the fleet but leaving him in deep space. Stark passes out before falling through the portal before it closes. Luckily, he is caught and revived by the Hulk. Waking up and realizing the Avengers have saved Earth, he suggests a celebratory meal at a shawarma restaurant, before helping the others arrest Loki. He is present when Thor teleports the Tesseract and Loki back to Asgard. Tony is last seen in Stark Tower with Pepper, designing new rooms for each member of the Avengers for whenever the team is needed to assemble again. An "A" is the remaining letter on the tower.
Tony reclaims the Mark II armor from Rhodey and removes all the modifications done to it by Justin Hammer. But Tony designs Rhodey a more advanced model. Since Tony was busy with the construction of Stark Tower and as a consultant to S.H.I.E.L.D. he had no time to fight against the terrorists as Iron Man. But knowing that the world expects Iron Man to be always there, he gave the armor to Rhodey to fight in his place.
When Loki launched his attack on Earth, Stark called Rhodey hoping that he could provide help, but War Machine was fighting terrorists in Asia so wouldn't be able to get to New York in less than an hour. When Loki is defeated and the portal is closed, Rhodey makes it to New York and Tony introduces him to the Avengers.
Later, Tony invited Rhodes to his workshop. Tony had realized that not even Iron Man and War Machine would be enough to protect the Earth so he revealed to Rhodes that he'd been developing the Iron Legion - several Iron Man armors that could be remotely controlled.
During the battle of New York, Iron Man asked Thor if he had ever seen Game of Thrones, but Thor had no idea what he was talking about, noting that despite Earth facing its doom, Stark still had the time to make jokes. Afterwards, Thor was eaten by a Leviathan, Stark then asked Thor if he'd seen Mad Men. Once Thor had killed the Leviathan with a lightning strike, Stark admitted that it was "pretty gross".
Whilst Tony was presenting how he could charge his armor with solar energy at Stark Tower, he was suddenly attacked by a villain called the Melter. The Melter quickly defeated Iron Man and announced he was going to sell his designs in a few days.
Two days later, Melter attacked again and defeated War Machine. This led Tony and Rhodey to team up and confront the Melter. They defeated him and put him in the custody of the United States Military.
- "My armor was never a distraction or a hobby, it was a cocoon, and now I'm a changed man. You can take away my house, all my tricks and toys, but one thing you can't take away - I am Iron Man."
- ―Tony Stark[src]
Sometime after the Chitauri invasion of New York, Tony built an array of new armors, some created for specific purposes. He tested the Mark XLII, which was built so that he could summon various pieces of the armor when needed. Meanwhile, a string of bombings by terrorist The Mandarin left intelligence agencies bewildered at the lack of forensic evidence. When Happy Hogan was caught in one such attack, Tony issued a public threat to The Mandarin.
Pepper approached Tony about his insecurities, claiming he had pulled away. Tony stated that he had been having trouble coping after his near-death experience in New York, claiming that "gods, aliens [and] other dimensions" are too much for him to handle. Pepper stated that his obsessiveness over his technology were a distraction. Later that night, Tony had visions of himself going against the Chitauri, causing him to go into distress. Pepper tried to wake him until his armor appeared, coming to Tony's aid.
Maya Hansen confronted Tony at his home, warning him about the effects of his recent public warning. Pepper appeared and told Tony that it was time for them to leave until they are attacked by several helicopters, lead by Eric Savin. Tony signaled his armor onto Pepper, protecting her. Once Pepper had gotten Maya to safety, Tony summoned the armor back to himself, fending off the several helicopters surrounding him. After being out gunned, Stark was pulled into the ocean while his home demolished over him, barely escaping. Stark found himself in rural Tennessee after J.A.R.V.I.S. followed his initial flight plan to find the Mandarin. Lacking the power to return to California, the world at large believed him to be dead. Tony sent a private call, hoping for Pepper to hear. Apologizing for putting her in harm's way, Tony stated that he cannot return home yet.
Stark broke into a work-shop belonging to 10-year old Harley Keener (and his family). Tony enlisted Harley's help in finding the truth behind the bombings. Seeking information, Stark set up a meeting with the mother of the recently killed (and Extremis-infected) Chad Davis. Once being handed valuable information regarding her son's death, Tony was attacked by Ellen Brandt and Eric Savin. Barely escaping from Brandt, Savin confronted Stark, threatening to kill Harley. Harley used a device given to him by Stark earlier, blinding Savin for a few moments in which the two were able to escape. With Harley's assistance, Stark tracked down the Mandarin's location in Miami - as the suit is recharging, Harley suggested that Stark builds his own gadgets.
Infiltrating The Mandarin's home, Stark discovered that The Mandarin is not a terrorist, rather a British actor employed by Killian to act as a threat to America, covering up Killian's test-subjects/Extremis program. Being held in captivity, he witnessed Killian murder Maya and discovered that he has captured Pepper and is currently infecting her with Extremis. Stark escaped captivity by summoning his armor, fending off several guards. Tony reunited with Rhodes who revealed that Killian had taken control of the Iron Patriot armor, intending to launch an attack on President Ellis aboard Air Force One. Remotely controlling his armor, Stark defeated Eric Savin and saved the surviving passengers and crew but was unable to rescue Ellis from Killian.
Stark and Rhodes traced Killian to an impounded oil drilling platform where he intended to kill Ellis on live television. Sneaking in, they were attacked by several Extremis soldiers. Over-powered, Stark summoned the remaining 35 armors to their aid (controlled by J.A.R.V.I.S.), armoring himself with the Silver Centurion. Tony found Pepper under wreckage when Killian unexpectedly attacked him, forcing him to bail from Mark XXXIII. Coming to Pepper's aid once again, she fell into a pit of fire after Tony tried to reach out to her, presumed dead. Enraged, Stark summons Mark XL ("Shotgun") and engages in a fight with Killian. Standing over a platform, Stark (armorless), summons Mark XLII onto Killian, trapping him. Tony orders J.A.R.V.I.S. to let it self-destruct while he escaped. Killian, alive, struck at Stark once more until Pepper, also alive (and infected with Extremis) appeared and killed Killian with the aid of Mark VII's repulsors. Shocked at Pepper's image, Tony apologized and promised to find a cure for her. Tony, seeing Pepper worried about their future, ordered J.A.R.V.I.S. to destroy all his armor/tech. Surrounded by the subtler explosions in the sky, the two embraced. Later, Dr. Wu, the very man Yinsen had introduced to him years earlier in Switzerland, performed surgery removing shrapnel the shrapnel from Tony's heart. Stark then returned to the ruins of his Malibu home and threw his obsolete arc reactor into the ocean, because he finally understood that Iron Man is the man who "built" the armor not the armor that wears the man.
Tony then recounted everything that had happened to Bruce Banner who had fallen asleep during the tale, telling Tony that he wasn't that kind of doctor.
Nick Fury revealed to Steve Rogers that, having repaired the Helicarriers turbines during Loki's attack, Tony suggested that S.H.I.E.L.D. replace them with his repulsor technology. During a meeting between Alexander Pierce and Nick Fury, Fury promised to have Iron Man attend Pierce's niece's birthday party in exchange for a favor. Stark was also targeted by the undercover HYDRA agents in S.H.I.E.L.D. as a potential threat for their plans. During the execution of Project Insight, it was revealed that he had moved into Stark Tower following A.I.M.'s destruction of his Malibu home.
Maria Hill mentioned to Melinda May that Tony would be privatizing Global Security.
To be added
- "This is the end, the end of the path I started us on."
- ―Tony Stark to Nick Fury[src]
With the rising threat of HYDRA, the Avengers were officially reassembled, with Stark's financial backing. Using the Avengers Tower as their headquarters, they embarked on several missions to ruin HYDRA's plans for world domination. Tony helped attack Baron Wolfgang von Strucker's HYDRA base, and while the other Avengers fought the soldiers on the ground, Stark worked on destroying the base's shields to allow the team access. When Stark swore during the mission, Steve Rogers told him to watch his language, much to Stark's amusement. Tony soon managed to disable to shields and entered the base; once inside he knocked out Dr. List before making his way through the hallways. Stark located a giant Leviathan inside the base which HYDRA had stolen after the battle of New York and the Scepter. While Stark was looking at the Scepter, Wanda Maximoff snuck up behind him and caused him to have a vision of the future, in the vision Tony saw the other Avengers lying dead after a mysterious battle. Shaken by what he had seen, Stark takes the Scepter.
The Avengers returned to the Avengers Tower, where Thor gave Tony three days to study the sceptre before taking it to Asgard. Tony discovered some kind of artificial intelligence embedded within the sceptre, and considered it could be the potential key to finish his peacekeeping project, the Ultron Program- an A.I. to control the drones of the Iron Legion. Tony convinced Bruce Banner to experiment on it. One night, while the Avengers had celebrated their latest victory against HYDRA, Tony left the rest of Ultron's syncing process to J.A.R.V.I.S. and Ultron awoke.
During Ultron's first moments of consciousness, it assimilated of all the information about the present world and humanity's history. Ultron then attacked and seemingly destroyed J.A.R.V.I.S. before building himself a body using damaged parts of the Iron Legion. When the party was winding down, Ultron confronted the Avengers, accusing them of preventing the world from achieving peace by not allowing it to evolve, declaring that for world peace, the Avengers had to be destroyed. Ultron took control of numerous Iron Legion drones, one of which escaping with Loki's sceptre while the rest fought the Avengers. Even though Ultron's body was destroyed, he used the Internet to escape.
The Avengers proceeded to investigate Ultron's next course of action, and discovered he was looking for Vibranium from its biggest illegal dealer, Ulysses Klaue. Tony and the team travelled to a shipyard in the coast of Africa, Klaue's base of operations, where they found Ultron and his two new allies, Wanda and her brother Pietro Maximoff. Tony engaged Ultron in combat, and while he managed to destroy his body, the Vibranium was no longer within reach. Additionally, Wanda had used her powers to let loose the Hulk in Johannesburg, completely out of control and blinded by rage. Tony flew to Johannesburg while summoning the Hulkbuster Armor, a contingency plan created by Tony and Bruce in case Hulk had to be stopped. A furious fight throughout Johannesburg between Tony and Hulk ensued. After pushing the Hulk through a collapsing skyscraper, Tony was finally able to stop him.
The Avengers left Johannesburg, with the rest of the members except Clinton Barton having been affected by Wanda's visions, and morally defeated. Maria Hill contacted the team, and told them the commotion in Johannesburg had caused a public backlash, and recommended that they lay low for a while. Clint took them to a safe-house, his farm in the countryside, where he lived with his family.
After having a discussion with Steve regarding their methods, Tony was lured by Laura, Barton's wife, to the farm's barn. There, Tony was confronted by Nick Fury, who later convinced the Avengers to stand up and fight against Ultron. Bruce deduced that Ultron was trying to evolve itself, and they soon discovered he could have used Helen Cho's expertise with cellular regeneration, and her regeneration cradle, to build himself a new body using Vibranium.
Steve and Natasha with Barton rushed to South Korea but Clinton returned to Avengers Tower with the android body, Natasha having been captured by Ultron, and Steve delayed. Tony decided to upload J.A.R.V.I.S. into the new synthetic body, and had nearly completed the process when Rogers and the Maximoffs returned and opposed him. After Pietro and Maximoff disconnected the synthetic body from its chamber, Thor used Mjölnir to finish powering it up, finishing the download of J.A.R.V.I.S. into the mainframe. The synthetic body came to life. Confuseion as to why this "vision" sounded like J.A.R.V.I.S. allowed Tony to explain that he reconfigured his matrix to create "something new". The Vision stated that he is not a child of Ultron, Ultron himself or J.A.R.V.I.S., he is only himself. The Avengers, along with the Maximoff twins, remained skeptical as to which side the Vision was on, to which the synthezoid explains that he is on the side of life while Ultron is not, and then went on to say that Ultron was waiting for the Avengers, especially Tony, in Sokovia. He then stated that Ultron is in pain, and that he will spread his rage and pain all across the globe. After finishing, he casually lifted Mjolnir and offered it back to Thor, much to the bewilderment and surprise from everyone in the room before leaving.
The Avengers prepared themselves to confront Ultron, who had returned to Sokovia and had used the Vibranium left to create a set of machines around a portion of the city powerful enough to raise it into the sky, and then ram it into the Earth from a distance high enough to cause an extinction-level event. During the preparation, Tony uploaded a new A.I. called F.R.I.D.A.Y. into his newest suit of armor, the Mark XLVI.
Tony in his new armor confronted Ultron in a church in the middle of Sokovia, where the control unit for the doomsday machine had been placed. Meanwhile, the Avengers evacuated the city at the same time they defended it from Ultron's army of drones. The Vision was able to assist Stark and cut Ultron off from the Internet, preventing him from escaping. However, Ultron's machine was still activated, and a portion of Sokovia started rising from the ground. Tony recommended overloading the device, but Steve refused to do so until the civilians could be secured. Fury and the remains of S.H.I.E.L.D. appeared with the helicarrier, using its lifeboats to rescue civilians. As Sokovia was being evacuated, the Avengers reassembled in the church, to protect Ultron's control unit from being activated by Ultron or the robot army. During the ensuing fight, Tony helped Thor and Vision to heavily damage Ultron's main body.
After the citizens were finally secured, Tony and Thor overloaded the core of Ultron's machine, causing the airborne portion of Sokovia to explode into pieces. Ultron's last remaining drone made it safely to the ground, but was finally destroyed by the Vision.
Sometime after the dust settled, the New Avengers Facility was built in upstate New York, in order to train potential recruits. Tony and Thor visited Steve at the facility, and Thor updated Tony and Steve about the resurfacing of four Infinity Stones within the last few years, with one of them being the Mind Stone they found within the sceptre. Thor reassured them that the Mind Stone would be safe with the Vision, before heading back to Asgard to investigate more on the Infinity Stones. Tony also took a leave of absence, joking that he would build a farm just like Barton.
- "If we can't accept limitations, we're no better than the bad guys."
- ―Tony Stark[src]
Tony was speaking at MIT. Where he gave a speech and after he tells the students he would funded all of their projects. When seeing Pepper Potts name pop out on the teleprompter, he is taken aback and abruptly ends his speech. Near an elevator, a woman introduces herself as Miriam Sharpe. She gets mad at Stark for the attack on Sokovia by Ultron and how a building dropped on her son Charles. She then retorts "You guys are only fighting for yourself. Who's going to avenge my son, Stark?". Tony looks down in regret after this.
At the New Avengers Facility, Tony and the team meet with the Secretary of State Thaddeus Ross about the Lagos attack by Brock Rumlow where twenty-six people were killed, eleven of them being relief aid workers from Wakanda. Ross tells the Avengers that some people look up to them as heroes, but others think they're vigilantes. He shows pictures of the destruction that follows the team from New York to Sokovia. Then he show them a document tells them it's the Sokovia Accords, ratified by 117 countries. The accords state that the Avengers will operate under a panel's supervision, only acting when the panel decides it's necessary. He says there will be a meeting in Vienna, and if they don't sign on, they'll have to retire. The team debating whether to agree to the accords, and Tony pulls out the picture of Charles who was killed in their battle with Ultron. Steve Rogers asks what will happen if there's somewhere they need to go, but the panel won't allow them. Tony and Steve than argued with each other and he even got surprising support from Natasha Romanoff. The argument ended when Steve left the room, Steve got a text that Peggy Carter has passed away in her sleep.
Tony has Wanda Maximoff put on house arrest by Vision. In Vienna, the United Nations convened to approve the Sokovia Accords. However, during the conference, a bomb was set outside the building, killing the Wakanda king, T'Chaka. The authorities suspected Bucky Barnes to be responsible for it. So Steve, knowing it was an illegal action, try to defended his best friend from the Joint Counter Terrorist agents and Wakand prince T'Challa, who tried to kill Barnes in order to avenge his father's death. This ended up with Rogers' arrest by James Rhodes in new the War Machine armor, along with Barnes, Sam Wilson and T'Challa.
The four were brought to the Joint Counter Terrorist Centre Building in Berlin, where Tony once again tried to convince Steve to sign the Accords, He told him about his breakup with Pepper. Tony tells him that if he signs the accords now, Bucky will be transferred to an American psych facility instead of a Wakandan jail. Steve agrees, but only if safeguards are put into place. Tony brightens telling Steve that this will get him and Wanda reinstated. Steve asks what he means about Wanda, and he tells Steve that she is being confined to the Avengers Facility by Vision. Tony says it's the best he can do, since she's not a U.S. citizen and they won't give her a visa. Steve says that she's only a kid, and doesn't deserve to be imprisoned. He leaves without signing onto the accords. Whilr Bucky had a psychological test by Helmut Zemo, who trigger a power outage occurred and activate the Winter Soldier mindset in Bucky. Bucky than managed to escape from his cell and Steve, Sam, Tony, Natasha, Sharon Carter and T'Challa tried to stop Barnes. After Steve prevented him from escaping in a helicopter, Steve, Sam and Bucky went into hiding.
Tony asked Secretary Ross to let him bring in Steve, Sam and the Barnes, which Tony promised he would within Seventy Two hours, although Ross remained somewhat skeptical and gave him thirty six hours. Tony than went to Queens, to get help from teenage superhero Peter Parker known as "Spider-Man." Tony has been following his Peter activities in New York and figured out his true identity. Tony informed Peter of the situation involving the Accords, and told him that Steve Rogers has made a wrong decision to oppose it, and was dangerous because of it. Tony recruited Peter to his team, made him a new suit. Meanwhile Steve assembles a team consisting of Bucky, Sam, Clint Barton, Wanda and Scott Lang to stop Zemo. By operating outside of authority, they all become renegades. Tony in his new Iron Man armor and his own team, made up of Rhodey, T'Challa, Natasha, Vision and Peter to arrest them at Lepzig/Halle Airport. In the epic battle, Scott in his new Ant-Man suit turns into a giant, distracting Tony's team and buying time for Steve and Bucky to escape to an aircraft hangar. Natasha appears intent on stopping them, but she turns on T'Challa, allowing Steve and Bucky to fly off. Rhodes tries to stop them from escaping, but Sam flies after him. Vision shoots an energy beam at Sam, but he dodges and it hits Rhodes instead, causing him to fall from the sky and nearly killing him, despite the best efforts of Tony and Sam trying to catch him. Sam told Tony he was sorry, in anger Tony blast him with a repulsor knocking him out. After the battle Tony sent Peter back home to Queens.
Back at New Avengers Facility, checking on Rhodey' state while his spine was x-rayed. Tony asked how Vision could make a mistake like that and Vision admitted he had become distracted by Wanda, which neither he nor Stark had known could happen. Vision stayed with Rhodes while Stark spoke with Natasha. Tony told her Rhodes spine had been damaged asked her why she still acting like a double agent. She replied that they had dealt with Steve wrong. Tony scoffed at her biases towards Rogers before informing her that T'Challa had told Ross of her betrayal, giving her a halfhearted warning that the government would come to arrest her. Insulted, she told him that she was not the one who needed to watch her back, and went to go into hiding.
F.R.I.D.A.Y. show evidence that Bucky was framed for the Vienna explosion by Zemo. Tony than flew to the Raft an underwater prison. Tony landed on the raft and was greeted by Ross. Tony watched on a monitor showing Wanda in her cell. He then made his way to where his former allies were being held. Tony was then mocked by Clint calling him 'the futurist', but Tony tells Barton that they shouldn't be in there as the Raft was built for maniacs and criminals, which Clint claimed that they are all now. Tony then walked past Scott who said that Hank Pym told him "never trust a Stark" which Tony came back by not knowing who he is. Tony make his way to Sam cell, Sam asked how Rhodes was is doing. Tony tells Sam that he believes Steve story about Zemo and that he needed his help to find out where Steve and Bucky has went. Sam told Tony that they gone to Siberia. As Tony was leaving, Ross asked if anyone said anything which Tony lied, he suit up and made his way to Siberia. However, unknown to him prince T'Challa was following him.
At Siberia Tony met up with Steve and Bucky at a Cold-War HYDRA missile silo and make peace. The Cold-War silo house frozen Winter Soldiers like Bucky. They find that the winter soldiers has been killed by Zemo. Who hidden behind indestructible glass, reveals that his real plan was to find footage of the Winter Soldier's mission in the early 90s. T'Challa who had been unseen, and hears Zemo admit responsibility for the explosion. Zemo shows them a videotape of Bucky causing the car crash, and then murdering the occupants, Howard and Maria Stark, in cold blood.
Tony demands to know if Steve knew that Bucky killed his parents, Steve weakly said "yes" Tony enraged knocks Steve away grabs Bucky as Zemo retreats. Steve throws his shield, deflecting an otherwise fatal repulsor blast. Tony restrains Steve as he once again goes after Bucky, who manages to disable the repulsor gauntlet with his bionic arm. Tony launches a rocket with destroys one side of the room as Steve destroys the restraints holding him back. As Tony is pinned down from the rubble. Bucky takes his chance and runs to an escape hatch located at the top of the silo. Steve attempts to calm Tony down but he just attacks Bucky again, forcing Steve to break one of armor's boots jet. In the resulting fight, Tony blasts off Barnes' bionic arm as he was attempting to remove the armor's Arc Reactor. Steve manages to use his shield to destroy Stark's Arc Reactor, effectively shutting down his armor. Tony then yells at him that his father made that shield and that he don't deserve it. In response, Steve drop the shield and walks away with Bucky.
Sometime later at New Avengers Facility, Tony is helping Rhodes with his recovery, giving him robotic legs to recover from paralysis. A FedEx delivery man appears and deliver Tony a package inside is a letter from Steve. In the letter, Rogers says that the Avengers are Tony's family and that he apologizes for not telling him the truth about his parents death. Steve then says that he wished they agreed could on the sokovia accords, and no matter what, if Tony would ever need Rogers' help, he and the rest of the team would be just a phone call away. By this time, Steve freed the imprisoned Avengers from the Raft and Ross called Tony for help. Tony said he busy and put Ross on hold, letting Steve and the others escape.
- "You just don't do anything I would do, and definitely don't do anything I wouldn't do. There's a little grey area in there and that's where you operate."
- ―Tony Stark[src]
To be added
To be added
To be added
Tony is an outgoing and extremely eccentric man, all the while possessing the capacity to become an expert in thermonuclear astrophysics overnight. Tony is shown to be a big fan of Australian hard rock band AC/DC. He was renowned for being lackadaisical, casually arrogant, callous and a hedonist who enjoyed the finer things in life, namely drinking, gambling, partying and flirting with complete strangers. In spite of this, he was highly intelligent and possessed a genius which made him one of the brilliant minds earth. However for all his flaws, Tony is a good man at heart and wants to use his technology to better the world.
An inventive mechanical engineering prodigy, Stark is constantly creating new technology and looking for ways to improve it. At the start of Iron Man, he has little concern for the effect his weapons have on others, so long as it made a profit and bulked his popularity. This all changed when he realized the brutal and indifferent world that he had never had to inhabit as a child, being held prisoner by terrorists who somehow had gained access to his own technology. His intense desire to escape was what provoked him into creating the Iron Man armor.
After this, he ceased all weapons productivity of Stark Industries, shocking everyone. However, the worst shock was still to come: Obadiah Stane - the man who had raised him and inspired him since the day his father died - had been usurping his company from the very beginning, had been involved in Howard Stark's death, and had been the very man who had orchestrated his kidnapping by the Ten Rings terrorists. This finally woke Tony up to how cruel the world could become.
From Iron Man to Iron Man 2, Tony has a unique friendship with Rhodey. Rhodey tries to keep Tony on the straight and narrow although he has stated at times it is not that easy. Although they have been friends for many years, Tony's erratic nature at times makes it difficult for Rhodey to choose between Tony and his duty to the military as clearly evident in the second film, however, near the end of the film, they have once again become friends of one accord.
In The Avengers, Tony has matured to an extent; while around Pepper he is able to openly express his feelings around her. However, upon being around the team, he still shows the same "qualities" that he is known for. He immediately clashes with Steve Rogers due to their very different personalities, and nearly come to blows when the Helicarrier falls under attack, partially due to Loki's influence clouding everyone's minds. The two quickly put their feud aside to help repair the ship.
Stark quickly strikes up a friendship with Dr. Bruce Banner, as the two have several things in common including a genius-level IQ. Stark relates to him that his arc reactor - which keeps shrapnel from reaching his heart--is a great power that he can control, which is not unlike Banner's abilities as The Hulk. In fact, Stark is the only one who doesn't fear the Hulk, and helps Banner realize that The Hulk is more of a blessing than a curse.
Upon Coulson's death, while he tries not to show it in front of Cap, Coulson's death has greatly affected him. By the time of the battle of New York, he has no problem taking orders from Cap, knowing what is on the line.
In Iron Man 3, Tony, is haunted from his near death experience from The Avengers. Fearing he couldn't protect people he cared for, he made repeated upgrades of his armors, not only inserting various remote control devices into his body that would allow him to summon the new Mark XLII with his thoughts alone, but also created the "Iron Legion" of multiple armors that could be controlled remotes by J.A.R.V.I.S.
Around this same time, Tony meets an inventive, 10 year old boy named Harley. Harley is immediate in awe of his idol, Iron Man, however the two, over a time, butt heads. Harley annoying Tony, and Tony hurling an endless stream of sardonic quips at Harley. Overcoming their differences, the two discover that a string of bombings claimed by a terrorist known as the Mandarin, are actually unstable test subjects for Aldrich Killian's experimental Extremis virus.
Throughout the entirety of Iron Man 3, Tony undergoes major changes from the beginning, in the end, finally losing his dependency towards the suits and realizing that it's not the armor that makes the hero, but the man that's inside. He destroys all of the suits and undergoes surgery to remove both the shrapnel and the Arc Reactor. Finally, he throws the Arc Reactor into the ocean at the site of his demolished mansion, and, before driving away with DUM-E in a trailer behind his car, asserts that he is Iron Man, even without the armors.
In Avengers: Age of Ultron, Tony reassembled with the Avengers, Tony fears that the Avengers may not be enough to protect the world from another alien invasion. In response Tony designed The Ultron Program as a global peacekeeping program using the decrypted code derived from within Loki's Scepter. However the program went horribly wrong, unleashing a genocidal machine called Ultron who was bent on human extinction. This put Tony at odds with the others Avengers, especially Steve. The Avengers was able to defeat Ultron, however the original Avengers were no more. Tony chose to retired from the team.
In Captain America: Civil War, Tony believes in the government and the supports the Sokovia Accords; due to his role in creating Ultron and almost destroying all life on earth, when T'Chaka, the king of Wakanda was apparently killed by Bucky Barnes, at first, he refused to believe that Bucky was innocent and was being framed for this crime and even stated that he was trying to keep Steve from tearing the Avengers apart, only for the latter to coldly point out that the Avengers were already torn apart from the moment Tony sign the Accords.
Despite having a deep capacity for regret, as noted by Natalia, Tony is incapable of seeing past his own ego; when he discovers that Bucky killed his parents (regardless the fact that he was under the influence of HYDRA at the time and was not in control of his actions) he reacts with anger and attacks him, after being defeated and stopped by Steve and Bucky, due to his wounded pride; Tony states that Steve's Vibranium Shield doesn't belong to him, as it was made by his father and arrogantly states he doesn't deserve it; however, the Vibranium Shield does not belong to Tony or his late father, as it is Wakanda property, therefore only T'Challa, the new the king of Wakanda; can decide who deserves the Vibranium Shield, not Tony.
Ultimately, his actions contributed to the Avengers being disbanded as Tony has also lost the complete trust and respect from his former allies, teammates and friends; such as Steve Rogers, Natalia Romanoff, Clint Barton, Sam Wilson and Wanda Maximoff, even Scott Lang, an non-member of the Avengers, now thinking that Hank Pym, his predecessor and mentor; was right not to trust a member of the Stark family.
Tony is arrogant to the point where he is not only incapable of admitting or learning from his mistakes, but he is also incapable of apologizing or admitting when he is wrong.
- Direct Cybernetic Interface: Thanks to the state-of-the-art microchips Tony injected into his left forearm he can now mentally control the Iron Man armor with his thoughts. This is similar to how Tony can instruct his armor to assemble at his own will after undergoing the Extremis process in the comics. However, since this was only designed for the Mark 42 armor, he now uses voice commands to control his armors remotely if he is not wearing them.
- Armor Link: Tony can mentally command the armor with his thoughts even when he was fully unconscious. The Mark XLII almost attack Pepper in bed when Tony was having a nightmare. Pepper's screams woke Tony in time to shut down the armor. Tony remotely controlled the Mark XLII aboard Air Force One and battled Eric Savin. After he defeated him, the Mark XLII saved the surviving passengers and crew, while Tony was on a speed boat with Rhodey searching for Killian. In Avengers: Age of Ultron, Tony commanded the Mark XLIII to "Sentry Mode", as he hacked into HYDRA's server in Wolfgang von Strucker's base.
- Armor Summon: Thanks to the new repulsor flight system, individual pieces of the armor can self-assemble themselves on to Tony or others. Tony is able to remotely summon the Mark XLII to Pepper for her to wear after his home is attacked by the Mandarin's forces. Tony summons the Iron Legion to fight against Aldrich's Extremis solders at the oil drilling platform. Tony is forced into confronting Killian, whom he attempts to defeat by ordering the suit to assemble it's self on Killian and then activate the self-destruct. This fails to kill him. Pepper intervenes, using her new Extremis abilities to finish off Killian once and for all. In Avengers: Age of Ultron, Wanda Maximoff "hex" the Hulk, that send him on a rampage in Johannesburg. Tony summon the Hulkbuster armor that assemble itself onto the Mark XLIII. A furious fight throughout Johannesburg between Tony and Hulk. Even though the Hulk was able to tear into the Hulkbuster easily, the external equipment pod Veronica sent a frequent supply of new parts to replace a damaged arm. After pushing the Hulk through a collapsing skyscraper, Tony was finally able to stop Hulk.
- Indomitable Will: Tony has proven time and time again why he is called Iron Man. When his back is against the wall Tony shows he has a tremendous strength of will. When the Ten Rings held Tony captive and ordered him to build them the Jericho missile, an extremely destructive, multi-warhead weapon, he begrudgingly agreed, but instead used the time to build the Mark I armor along with a miniature Arc Reactor to keep his damaged heart beating. When the Arc Reactor started to poison, him he found a cure in a diorama of the Stark Expo secretly left by his father, Howard Stark. Tony built a small particle accelerator in his workshop which he used create a new element that saved his life.
- Genius-Level Intellect: At age four Tony built his first circuit board, at age six his first engine, and at seventeen he graduated summa cum laude from MIT. Tony built the Iron Man Armor; One of the most powerful weapons on earth. When Extremis soldiers Ellen Brandt and Eric Savin attacked him, he improvised using his innovative skills and knowledge various equipment, to outsmart them and seemingly escape, killing Brandt. When Aldrich kidnapped Pepper and forcefully injected her with Extremis Tony was able to remove the Extremis from her body. With an intelligence classified as super-genius, he easily one of smartest men in the Universe among with Dr. Bruce Banner. Furthermore, this extends to his remarkable ingenuity dealing with difficult situations such as foes and deathtraps where he is capable of using his available tools, like his suit, in unorthodox and effective ways, for example when he built the first Iron Man Armor in captivity. He has also been able to easily hack the pentagon on a dare. Tony is known as a "futurist," he can intuit the future. Stark can use his superior intellect to the levels of dividing his consciousness and perfectly perform multiple tasks at at the same time, being able to move, fight, talk, watch a video, and process information at the same time. Tony is the world's best multitasker.
- Eidetic Memory: His mind works in the same way as a computer with unlimited storage capacity, only much faster, able to perform several mental functions at once without losing focus on any of them. He can instantly recall specific information with incredible speed and accuracy, storing everything that in a photographic memory and retrieve it immediately without the typical human pause for thought.
- Expert Engineer: Tony was able to create the Mark 1 Iron Man armor and the first miniaturized Arc Reactor, "With a box of scraps!" as stated by Obadiah Stane, while being held in captivity by the Ten Rings. Iron Man 3, Tony was able to use simple supplies he got from a hardware store to build a home-made arsenal to use to infiltrate the Mandarin's mansion. He is an excellent engineer and mechanic capable of fixing any machinery.
- Mechanical Intuition: Tony possesses intuitive understanding of mechanics and electronic, he can observe random scattered "junk" and subconsciously/effortlessly create detailed schematics (in there head), then create an complex/effective creation or device using the scattered "junk". Although he tends to use better quality parts. As shown with his chest piece arc reactor, and Ironman suit(s)
- Mathematical Intuition: Tony intuitively understands quantitative conventions, math, logic, and deduction/inductive reasoning, and easily do all calculations in head. He can perceive and comprehend the fundamentals of probability. In any situation, he can calculate the accelerated probability & apply it in a predicament. As stated in first Ironman film when he was taking with Yinsen, his math is always right.
- Elucidation: Tony is able innately understand and comprehend any complex concepts.
- Computer Operation: Tony possess intuitively high skills and knowledge at operating any computers.
- Hacking Intuition: Tony possess intuitively high skills in hacking any machinery and technological systems. He knows instinctively how to hack through any mainframes of information and bypass intensively difficult levels of online security. He mentioned in Avengers Age of Ultron that he hacked the Pentagon on a dare.
- Social Intuition: Tony intuitively determines and knows how to interact with others. He could tell exactly what to say to interact with certain people, or tell the rank of a person within a group. He has a great voice, eloquence and charisma. He is extremely handsome and has near irresistible level of charm that can be used to influence many.
- Marksmanship: Tony knows how to handle firearms, albeit with not as good of aim at far ranges.
- Skilled Hand-To-Hand Combatant/Martial Artist: In Iron Man 2, Tony is trained in unarmed combat and has become quite formidable on his own when the situation demands it. He was able to hold his own against Rhodey, a Lieutenant Colonel Air Force Combat Pilot. In The Avengers, Tony was able to battle Thor almost to a standstill for a time while in the Mark VI. In Iron Man 3, Tony further uses his hand-to-hand combat skills and shown using martial arts. Tony was able to take down the guards at the Mandarin's mansion with ease, with the help of a homemade arsenal. In Captain America: Civil War, it was shown that Tony is not as skilled as Steve Rogers, as he was forced to use F.R.I.D.A.Y., an A.I. he created, to analyze Steve's fighting style and create countermeasures, although Tony managed to briefly catch the latter off guard, Steve quickly changed his tactics and he was ultimately defeated by his former friend.
- Arc Reactor: Tony, with Yinsen's help, built a miniaturized arc reactor. The arc reactor power the electromagnet that protects Tony's heart from the shrapnel inside his chest, and also the Iron Man armor. In Iron Man 2, he develops a new element for the arc reactor power source. The new arc reactor is extremely powerful. In The Avengers, Stark's arc reactor prevents Loki from taking control of his mind. In Iron Man 3, Tony finally undergoes surgery to remove the shrapnel embedded near his heart by Dr. Wu along with the arc reactor. After Tony drops his no longer needed arc reactor into the sea.
- Armor: Tony uses high tech armor to become Iron Man. The armor allows him to fly and contains various weapons for battle. He frequently improves the armor, giving it upgrades for battles and to perfect the systems.
- Iron Man Gauntlet: Tony used a gauntlet that is watch piece of Mark XLVI. This piece was to shoot sound waves to shock opponents during fighting. It is also used for stopping guns from shooting in close combat.
The Iron Man Armor is arguably one of the most powerful forms of technology developed by Tony Stark. Alone, the Mark I was sufficient enough to allow him to go through armed terrorists in order to escape. The Mark II was sufficiently powerful enough to go toe to toe with a more advanced and updated version of the armor (the Mark IV). The Mark III was able to battle the Iron Monger suit, however, with some difficulty (due to the fact that it was powered by the first generation mini-arc reactor and the Iron Monger was powered by the second arc reactor he made upon his return from captivity). The Mark V, while lacking weaponry and flight capabilities, was still able to take on Vanko while just utilizing just the Whiplash harness. The Marks VI and VII proved to be the most powerful generations of suits used by Stark. The Mark VI being able to battle hordes of Hammer drones, as well as Vanko with his own armor, and the Mark VII being able to survive battles with two Asgardian gods (Thor and Loki) and hordes of alien foot soldiers and large transports (the Levithan). The Iron Legion through the Mark XLII proved to be equally powerful generation suits as they were able to battle Extremis-enhanced soldiers who themselves had enough strength to match any of the Iron Man armors. The Mark XLIII was strong enough to destroy Ultron, and the Mark XLIV was also powerful enough to match the incredible strength of the Hulk.
- Flight: One of the armors' most important features is it's ability of flight. The armor can reach speeds as fast as Mach 3 in moments. It also has various control surfaces for active flight control by J.A.R.V.I.S. to automatically stabilize the armor in flight. The armor is able to fly at speeds more than 1500 miles per hour. In the movie, the armor shows it can fly at supersonic speeds. In The Avengers, the armor's flight capabilities were improved with the addition of boosters on the back. These enable the armor to quickly evade enemy attacks and go faster than ever. This also gives Tony better stabilization while hovering and flying freeing up his hands to do other things, such as shooting down enemies. The Mark XLII was able to reach Tennessee from California in a matter of a few hours.
- Strength: Tony, inside the armor, is capable of lifting 10 tons and can achieve higher levels of strength when powered by a sufficient source. The armor shows to be strong enough to punch through a stone wall, or catch a minivan and put it down safely. It has also enabled Tony to stun Thor, catching him off-guard as well as battle Chitauri foot soldiers with ease. The Mark XLII was able to battle Extremis-enhanced soldiers to a standstill like Eric Savin. However, Killian proved to be strong enough to match the armor strength, if not surpass it. Tony with Bruce Banner created a armor that can to subdue the Hulk if he lost control or became a threat to people, the Mark XLIV was able to knock Hulk out after a fierce battle.
- Reflexes: The armors have motors for movement. It has shown to be extremely fast and responsive while in flight, and during fights.
- Armor Systems: The armor has remote assistance from J.A.R.V.I.S. who manages the armor's systems at Stark's command. The helmet contains a holographic HUD (Heads-up display) which provides information regarding navigation, power levels, armor status, weapons systems, and vital signs along with cellphone and computer connections and a loudspeaker. The armor is powered by a miniaturized arc reactor or an on-board generator in emergencies. The scanner systems are capable of scanning the environment, weather conditions and equipment for information. The suit also has flare launchers on the hips. Tony designed an automatic-eject system that can be trigger by the wearer. He also installed a self-destruct protocol in the case of the armor ending up in the wrong hands. In Avengers: Age of Ultron, J.A.R.V.I.S. is the core software of the android that would become the Vision. As a result, the armor use a new interface program called F.R.I.D.A.Y..
- Durability: The armor is made up of a strong, light weight, titanium alloy with interlocked plates for the shell, and a chest plate protecting the arc reactor. It has shown that it can withstand tremendous amounts of punishment, such as a tank shell exploding in close proximity to Stark, and a resulting fall from several thousand feet up, followed by hits from 20 mm Vulcan shells and a high speed collision with an F-22 Raptor with only minimal cosmetic damage. It was also able to survive a full-on fight with an older generation suit and it was able to withstand the fights with the Hammer Drones and Whiplash, in his own specialized suit, taking only minor damage. It also protects the wearer from the effects of extreme g-forces and it even allows Stark to withstand some of Thor's attacks, although it did start to take some damage (a dent in the helmet resulting from a headbutt administered by the thunder god). Both he and Thor were struck with Captain America's shield to get their attention and stop them from fighting; there was no damage done. He was also able to withstand the abuse of the Helicarrier's turbine though, only just barely. The Mark XLII was able to take damage from having most of Tony's house collapse on it at the bottom of the ocean. The Mark XLIV could take more extreme damage, such as the Hulk's brutal attacks than any previous armor.
- Energy Conversion Power Recharge: The armor is also able to absorb and convert nearby or far away energy sources, such as heat or kinetic energy or energy from the planet itself into electricity. In The Avengers, Thor strikes Iron Man with a lightning bolt from Mjölnir, but Stark is amazed to find that the bolt charges the suits power to 400% capacity, remarking with a simple "How bout that?". In Iron Man 3, Tony was able to recharge the Mark XLII with a car battery before going after Eric Savin.
- Self-Contained Life-Support System and Environmental Protection: The armor can be completely sealed for operations in vacuums or underwater, providing its own life support. It is also shielded against radiation. In The Avengers, the armor is shown operating underwater, as Stark uses it to activate the Arc Reactor connected to Stark Tower. However, the suit is not designed for deep space travel, as the armor's systems failed, when Stark is teleported through the Chitauri portal into space, causing him to lose consciousness as he plummets back to Earth. In Iron Man 3, Tony now has a specialized armor for space travel.
- Repulsors: A particle weapon in the palm gauntlets can repel physical and energy-based attacks. It comes in the form of bolts or beams and contain great concussive and explosive force on impact. Early repulsors needed time to recharge after use, because of the new arc reactor they become able to fire at a moments notice. When combined with an attack from another repuslor beam, it can create an energy shock wave that will decimate a small area, like when Tony and Rhodey both fired their repulsors at each other and the resulting event destroyed much of Stark's house. They later used it to defeat Ivan in his new Whiplash armor. The repulsors have shown to be strong enough to blast through The Hammer Drones. They were revealed to be able to be condensed into small energy beams for welding, as Stark used this welding beam to help install the Arc Reactor for Stark Tower. When the suit is charged with additional power, the repulsors are powerful enough to stun and even Thor, sending him flying through the air. It also enabled him to stun Loki on two occasions and take down Chitauri foot soldiers. The repulsors was able to take down low level Extermis soldiers with ease. The repulsors were strong enough to hold down Hulk, if only for a while and they was able to destroy Ultron's sentries.
- Unibeam: A more powerful version of the repulsor beams. It is located in the chest. However, it requires more power from the arc reactor to use and cannot be used as often. In Iron Man 3, Tony was finally able to kill Eric Savin with the unibeam, after the times Savin had survive several shots from the repulsor blasts. In Avengers: Age of Ultron, Tony used the unibeam together with Thor's lightning to destroyed Ultron's vibranium machine inside the city of Sokovia, preventing it from crashing down on the Earth.
- Lasers: A powerful weapon in the gauntlets that can cut threw common metals with no apparent effort, it however is not strong enough to penetrate a Leviathan's shell. It shows to be very proficient against the Hammer Drones. It was, in the Mark VI armor, a "one off", but Stark apparently equipped the Mark VII with multi-use laser systems, as seen in The Avengers. They draw power from the arc reactor for more sustained operations, and can theoretically reduce the armor energy reserves to a drained state if operated indefinitely. The Mark XLV lasers were incredibly powerful as they were able to cut into Ultron's vibranium machine.
- Smart mini-guns: Small anti-personnel guns in the shoulders can mark individual targets and fire with accuracy. It's proved to be highly effective against unarmored foot soldiers. In Avengers: Age of Ultron, Tony incapacitated the HYDRA agents during the assault on Wolfgang von Strucker's research base in Sokovia.
- Missiles: The armor holds a multi-fire adhesive grenade launcher in the upper arm. Including Anti-Tank, Armor-Piercing rounds. In The Avengers, The armor has mini rockets hidden in a secret compartment in the boosters on the back, that blew up numerous Chitauri ships. Tony is able to destroy a Leviathan by flying into its mouth and launching them throughout its body. In Iron Man 3, Tony was able use a missile hit by a repulsor to take down an helicopter-gunship, when his mansion was attacked by the Mandarin's forces. In Avengers: Age of Ultron, Tony was able to destroy Ultron's body in Johannesburg with a missile hidden in the Mark XLIII forearm.
- Howard Stark - Estranged father.
- Maria Stark - Mother.
- Happy Hogan - Personal driver/former body guard and friend.
- James Rhodes/War Machine - Best friend and ally.
- Pepper Potts - Former administrative assistant, and girlfriend.
- J.A.R.V.I.S. - Friend, former A.I. assistant; became Vision.
- F.R.I.D.A.Y - New A.I. assistant.
- Ho Yinsen - Fellow captive in Afghanistan, and eventual friend; deceased.
- Steve Rogers/Captain America - Team leader, rival and friend turned enemy.
- Natalia Romanoff/Black Widow - Former assistant, ally, friend and teammate turned enemy.
- Thor Odinson - Temporary enemy turned ally and teammate.
- Clint Barton/Hawkeye - Ally and teammate turned enemy.
- Bruce Banner/Hulk - Ally, teammate and friend.
- Vision - Ally and Teammate.
- Pietro Maximoff/Quicksilver - Enemy turned ally and teammate.
- Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch - Enemy turned ally and teammate, turned enemy.
- T'Challa/Black Panther - Ally turned enemy.
- Peter Parker/Spider-Man - Friend, protegé and ally.
- Thaddeus Ross - Associate who Stark met with to discuss the Avenger Initiative.
- Harley Keener - Ally.
- Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier - Enemy.
- Ant-Man - Enemy.
- Sam Wilson/Falcon - Ally and teammate turned enemy.
- Christine Everhart - Temporary love interest.
- Ten Rings - Enemies.
- Obadiah Stane - Friend turned enemy.
- Ivan Vanko - Enemy.
- Justin Hammer - Competitor and enemy.
- Loki Laufeyson - Enemy.
- Chitauri - Enemies.
- A.I.M. - Enemies.
- Ultron - Creation turned enemy.
- HYDRA - Enemies.
- Helmut Zemo - Enemy.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (10 films)
- Iron Man (First appearance) - Robert Downey Jr.
- Iron Man 2 - Robert Downey Jr. and Davin Ransom (young)
- The Incredible Hulk - Robert Downey Jr.
- The Consultant (Recycled Footage) - Robert Downey Jr.
- Thor (Mentioned only)
- The Avengers - Robert Downey Jr.
- Iron Man 3 - Robert Downey Jr.
- All Hail the King (Mentioned only)
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Photo and mentioned only)
- Avengers: Age of Ultron - Robert Downey Jr.
- Ant-Man (Mentioned only)
- Captain America: Civil War - Robert Downey Jr.
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Photo only)
- Spider-Man: Homecoming - Robert Downey Jr.
- Avengers: Infinity War - Robert Downey Jr.
- Avengers 4 - Robert Downey Jr.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (2 TV series)
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Season 1
- Season 2
- Season 3
- Luke Cage
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (12 comics)
- Iron Man: Fast Friends
- Iron Man: Security Measures
- Iron Man 2: Public Identity
- Iron Man 2: Fist of Iron
- Iron Man 2: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- The Avengers: Black Widow Strikes
- The Avengers Prelude: Fury's Big Week
- The Avengers: The Avengers Initiative
- Thor: The Dark World Prelude
- Iron Man 3 Prelude
- Iron Man: The Coming of the Melter
- Avengers: Age of Ultron Prelude - This Scepter'd Isle
- Avengers: Operation HYDRA
- Tony Stark: [looking through Natalie's resume] "She's fluent in French, Italian, Russian, Latin. Who speaks Latin?"
- Pepper Potts: "No one speaks Latin. It's a dead language."
- Agent Phil Coulson: [Over telephone] "Mr. Stark, we need to talk."
- Tony Stark: "You have reached the life model decoy of Tony Stark, please leave a message."
- Agent Phil Coulson: "This is urgent."
- Tony Stark: "Then leave it urgently."
- Tony Stark: [examines Loki's helmet] "Make your move, reindeer games."
- Steve Rogers: "Is everything a joke to you?"
- Tony Stark: "Funny things are."
- Steve Rogers: "Big man in a suit of armor. Take that off, what are you?"
- Tony Stark: "Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist."
- Tony Stark: "Yeah, takes us a while to get any traction, I'll give you that one. But let's do a head count here: your brother the demi-god; a super soldier, a living legend who kind of lives up to the legend; a man with breath-taking anger management issues; a couple of master assassins, and YOU, big fella, you've managed to piss off every single one of them."
Behind the scenes
- Robert Downey Jr.'s appearance was uncredited in The Incredible Hulk.
- Favreau had planned to cast a newcomer in the role but ultimately chose Downey (a fan of the comic) because he felt the actor's past made him an appropriate choice for the part.
- The best and worst moments of Robert's life have been in the public eye," the director explained. "He had to find an inner balance to overcome obstacles that went far beyond his career. That's Tony Stark. Robert brings a depth that goes beyond a comic book character who is having trouble in high school, or can't get the girl. Favreau also felt Downey could make Stark a "likable asshole", but also depict an authentic emotional journey once he won over the audience. Downey had an office next to Favreau during pre-production, which allowed him greater involvement in the screenwriting process. He brought a deeper sense of humor to the film not present in previous drafts of the script.
- Downey stated that he initially pushed Whedon to make Stark the lead revealing in The Avengers, "Well, I said, ‘I need to be in the opening sequence. I don’t know what you’re thinking, but Tony needs to drive this thing.’ He was like, ‘Okay, let’s try that.’ We tried it and it didn't work, because this is a different sort of thing, the story and the idea and the theme is the theme, and everybody is just an arm of the octopus."
- Iron Man 3 director Shane Black says, "Tony Stark is now relying on these suits to feel like he's in any way capable. He surrounds himself with these things almost like a blanket. In The Avengers, he fought aliens, but he was the one character I would not have picked to fight aliens. Now we've taken advantage of the fact that he's fought aliens and he talks about it.
- Before Robert Downey Jr. was cast as Tony, Nicolas Cage and Tom Cruise were interested in playing Iron Man. Cruise in particular was going to act in and produce the film. Cage played another Marvel superhero in Ghost Rider. According to Jon Favreau, Clive Owen and Sam Rockwell are among the actors that were considered for Tony Stark during pre-production. Rockwell would get a part in Iron Man 2 (2010) as Stark's rival Justin Hammer.
- Tony originally says he's not nostalgic when Pepper asked if he wanted to keep his original Reactor, yet he keeps every single known armor he has ever created. This is because, after Obadiah Stane stole his Arc Reactor, he needed to use his old one, teaching Tony the value of keeping his older technology.
- Tony Stark's ringtone is the original Iron Man theme song from the 1966 TV series.
- Tony's screen time in The Avengers is 37:01.
- In the comics, Tony was injected with reconfigured dose Extremis of in order to heal himself after being fatally injured by an Extremis-powered terrorist named Mallen.
- The song Tony uses for his introductions in Iron Man 2 and The Avengers was "Shoot to Thrill" by AC/DC. Conversely, the band's recent music video for the song features scenes from Iron Man 2 interspersed with the band's on-stage performance at a concert in Buenos Aires, Argentina (from the DVD Live at River Plate).
- Robert Downey Jr's performance as Tony Stark ranked 48 on Empire Magazine's Top 100 Greatest Movies Characters.
- Tony's screen time in Avengers: Age of Ultron is 45:34.
- Tony's screen time in Captain America: Civil War is 33:45.