|Thor: The Dark World|
|Writer(s):|| Don Payne|
|Expected Release:||November 8, 2013|
Thor: The Dark World is the tentative title of the upcoming sequel to Thor and the eighth film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It will be released on November 8, 2013 and will be available in 3D. Chris Hemsworth and much of the cast from the first film reprise their roles in the film. The film is being directed by Alan Taylor.
Marvel’s “Thor: The Dark World” continues the big-screen adventures of Thor, the Mighty Avenger, as he battles to save Earth and all the Nine Realms from a shadowy enemy that predates the universe itself. In the aftermath of Marvel’s “Thor” and “Marvel’s The Avengers,” Thor fights to restore order across the cosmos…but an ancient race led by the vengeful Malekith returns to plunge the universe back into darkness. Faced with an enemy that even Odin and Asgard cannot withstand, Thor must embark on his most perilous and personal journey yet, one that will reunite him with Jane Foster and force him to sacrifice everything to save us all.
- Chris Hemsworth as Thor Odinson
- Christopher Eccleston as Malekith
- Tom Hiddleston as Loki Laufeyson
- Natalie Portman as Jane Foster
- Jaimie Alexander as Sif
- Anthony Hopkins as Odin
- Ray Stevenson as Volstagg
- Zachary Levi as Fandral
- Tadanobu Asano as Hogun
- Rene Russo as Frigga
- Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Algrim the Strong/Kurse
- Idris Elba as Heimdall
- Alice Krige as a to-be-confirmed character
- Stellan Skarsgård as Erik Selvig
- Kat Dennings as Darcy Lewis
- Clive Russell as Tyr Odinson
- Richard Brake as Captain of the Einherjars
- Chris O'Dowd as a to-be-confirmed character
Natalie Portman and Kat Dennings are both contracted to reprise their roles in future installments in the Thor franchise. Chris Hemsworth will return as Thor Odinson in the sequel and Thor director Kenneth Branagh announced that he'll not return to direct the sequel.
The studio then selected Alan Taylor, best known for directing episodes of the HBO fantasy series Game Of Thrones, to direct the sequel.
The film will be shot in Iceland and London, England.
- Asgardian Sorceress Amora (The Enchantress) and Jotunheimian Warrior Skurge (The Executioner), long-time enemies of Thor and associates of Loki have been favorites for a Thor movie even going back to the initial planning stages of the first movie. They are now top contenders for the sequel.
- Josh Dallas was supposed to return as Fandral but commitment with his TV show Once Upon a Time prevented him from returning. He was replaced with Zachary Levi who was the original choice for the role.
- Mads Mikkelsen was considered for the role of Malekith, but he dropped out due to scheduling conflicts with Hannibal. Christopher Eccleston was cast instead.
- Despite The Avengers and Iron Man 3 to be the last films with a Paramount logo based on the original five-movie deal between Marvel and Paramount that was made following Iron Man before Disney bought the distribution rights to those two films from Paramount after the Marvel acquisition by Disney. The Marvel Studios logo appears instead of any Disney logo.
- Former Doctor Who actor Christopher Eccleston has been cast to play Malekith, who is presumed to be the primary villain.
- Chris Hemworth has stated that, under Alan Taylor's direction, the second installment is to have a more Viking-influenced with more resemblance to Norse mythology when compared to the more science-fiction-themed first installment.
- Though Tom Hiddleston reprises his role of Loki, the actor has stated that he is not expected to be a central villain and is rather seen taking responsibility for his crimes in The Avengers.
- In August 2012, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje was cast as Algrim the Strong / Kurse.
- Kat Dennings will reprise her role as Darcy Lewis. Deadline.com reported that Denning's role was expanded from that of a comic relief sidekick.
- In late 2011, Patty Jenkins was officially announced as director for this film. In December 2011, she backed out of the project due to "creative differences".
- In Thor, the casket of Ancient Winters was held by the Frost Giants of Jotunheim; in the comics it was held by the Dark Elves of Svartalfheim, in particular their leader Malekith the Accursed. In the film Loki holds the Casket and asks Odin if he is accursed, in homage to Malekith. Malekith himself appears in this film.
- At the end of September, Jaimie Alexander was injured on the London film set: "It was raining, it was dark outside, it was like 5 in the morning - and I went down a metal staircase and slipped and slipped a disc in my thoracic spine and chipped 11 of my vertebrae. I knocked my left shoulder out of place and tore my rhomboid on my right side... It took me out of filming for a month!"
- Natalie Portman was reportedly so upset that talks between Marvel and Patty Jenkins broke down that she refused to return for the sequel but she was forced to return due to her contract.
- Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje described Kurse as "an amalgamation of a bull and a lava-like creature." For his role as Kurse, he underwent a daily three hours of make-up and 40-pound prosthetics: "I'm sure there will be a certain amount of CGI, but a good 80% was me in that suit."
- The film was shot in England under the title "Thursday Morning". In Norse mythology, Thursday was named after Thor ("Thursday" - Thor's Day).
In the comics, Malekith is scarred on the right side of his face; in this film it's on the left side.
- As a nod to the comics, Malekith's armor has a star emblem in the center.
- See main article: Thor: The Dark World/Gallery
- ↑ 
- ↑ Marvel And Disney Setting 'Thor 2' For Summer 2013; Chris Hemsworth's Back But Kenneth Branagh Won't Return
- ↑ 
- ↑ Director Patty Jenkins Exits Marvel’s 'Thor 2'
|Marvel Cinematic Universe|
|Phase 1||Iron Man | The Incredible Hulk | Iron Man 2 | Thor | Captain America: The First Avenger | The Avengers|
|Phase 2|| Iron Man 3 | Thor: The Dark World | Captain America: The Winter Soldier | Guardians of the Galaxy|
The Avengers 2
|One-Shots||The Consultant | A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor’s Hammer | Item 47|
|Pre-Production||Ant-Man | Other|