|Appeared in|| The Avengers|
Guardians of the Galaxy
Thanos is an extraterrestrial warlord who allies himself with Loki, Nebula, The Collector, and Ronan the Accuser. He was featured in the post-credits scene of The Avengers and will be featured in the 2014 film Guardians of the Galaxy in a more predominate role.
Thanos is a powerful alien, a warlord who rules over a dead dimension. He allies himself with the exiled Loki Laufeyson, providing him with the deadly army of the Chitauri, who will help him in conquering Earth, in exchange for the Tesseract, a powerful energy source.
When Loki has arrived on Earth, Thanos is contacted by him, and the Other warns the God of Mischief of the price of failure and reminding him to not question the will of the master, declaring that if he fails in defeating the Earthlings, Thanos will make him know a new kind of suffering.
When eventually Loki is defeated, the Other complains that the Earth's inhabitants are not as weak as they were supposed to be and declares that challenging the Earth's heroes would be to court Death. To this, Thanos simply smiles.
To be added
Thanos is one of the most powerful beings of the universe, and even though none of his powers are actually shown (yet), he was able to threaten a god such as Loki and command the powerful army of the Chitauri unchallenged.
- Loki Laufeyson - Ally.
- The Collector - Subordinate.
- Ronan the Accuser - Subordinate.
- The Other - Subordinate.
- Chitauri - Subordinates.
- Leviathans - Subordinates.
- Gamora - Adopted daughter.
- Nebula - Granddaughter.
- Korath the Pursuer - Ally.
- The Avengers - Enemies.
- Guardians of the Galaxy - Enemies.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (2 films)
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (1 comic)
Behind the scenes
- Thanos' presence in the movie has been kept top secret from the production until the release of The Avengers.
- Damion Poitier was credited as playing "Man #1" in order to hide the identity of Thanos at the end of the film. It was later publicly announced after the film's release.
- Kevin Feige has said that Thanos will likely be played by a different actor in future films.
- Joss Whedon has said that Thanos will play a major role in the "Final Act", referring to Avengers 3 as a whole.
- In the comics, Thanos has no relationships with Loki Laufeyson nor the Chitauri, but he's nevertheless one of the historical foes of the Avengers.
- In the comics, Thanos is the master of the Infinity Gauntlet, which he used in the eponymous series in an attempt to court Death.
- Thanos is one of few antagonists not to be killed in their debut appearance, others being The Other, Loki, Justin Hammer, The Abomination, and Johann Schmidt/Red Skull.