Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Alias(es)|| Dr. Shaw|
|Appeared in||X-Men: First Class|
- "We are the children of the atom. Radiation gave birth to mutants. What will kill the humans, will only make us stronger."
- ―Sebastian Shaw [src]
Sebastian Shaw was a mutant with the ability to absorb almost any type of energy and transform it into raw strength or release it through a simple touch, a powerful punch, or a stomp to the floor.
Sebastian Shaw (under the alias Dr. Klaus Schmidt) was a scientist working for the Nazis during WWII. He was present in the concentration camp where a young Erik Lehnsherr's mutant powers first manifested. Shaw attempted to coax the boy into consciously using his ability but to no avail. He then threatened to shoot the boy's mother if he did not move a small gold coin made out of Nazi gold by the time he counted to three. When Erik failed to do so, Shaw executed his mother. Enraged, the boy lashed out with his powers, killing two guards by crushing their steel helmets and causing the metal objects in the adjacent examination room to fly about violently. Shaw was delighted and congratulated the traumatized young mutant.
18 years later, Sebastian emerged as the leader of the Hellfire Club, a group of mutants with aspirations of world domination. He was observed in Las Vegas by CIA Agent Moira MacTaggert meeting with U.S. Army Colonel Hendry where he threatens him into supporting the building of American missile sites in Turkey, near the Russian border. When MacTaggert witnesses Shaw's henchmen Azazel and Riptide using their powers, she attempts to warn her superiors; but Shaw has Azazel teleport Hendry to a Joint Chiefs meeting where he voices his support of the plan. Later, when Hendry comes to Sebastian's yacht to collect his payment, he threatens to kill himself and everyone with a hand grenade if they refuse to let him go. Shaw takes the grenade and pulls the pin himself, displaying his mutant power by absorbing the energy from the blast and using it to kill Hendry himself. That night, a now adult and vengeful Erik Lehnsherr, who had been hunting Shaw, sneaks aboard the yacht and attempts to murder the man who'd tortured him; only to be overwhelmed by Emma Frost's telepathy. At the same time, the U.S. Coast Guard arrived along with MacTaggert and mutant telepath Charles Xavier to apprehend him. Frost used her powers to shield Shaw from him and they all made their way to their submarine and narrowly escaped capture.
On their way to meet with a Soviet general, Frost senses Xavier's enhanced telepathy (through use of Cerebro) and informs Sebastian that he is recruiting his own team of mutants, consisting of Dr. Hank McCoy, Angel Salvadore, Sean Cassidy, Alex Summers, Raven Darkholme and Armando Muñoz. Shaw reveals a helmet he had built by the Russians that shields him from telepathic influence and orders her to meet with the general in his place. He, Azazel and Riptide track Charles and his team to a secret CIA facility where they proceed to kill everyone, leaving the young mutants as the only ones left. He then offers them a chance to join him in the upcoming war with humankind, an offer that only Angel accepts. When the others attempt to stop her, Shaw absorbs Summers' energy blast and kills Muñoz before leaving.
Shaw proceeds to Russia, where he meets with the Soviet general he sent Frost to see during which she was captured by Lehnsherr and Xavier; forcing the man to send Soviet missiles to Cuba. It is his plan to goad the U.S. and Soviet Union to use nuclear weapons on each other, causing WWIII which will cripple human civilization and allow mutants to rise up and rule. He accompanies the Russian fleet in his submarine to assure that the missiles reach their destination, but he is tracked by Xavier and his team. Lehnsherr uses his powers to lift the sub from the water before they both crash on a nearby beach. Shaw attempts to absorb the energy from the sub's nuclear reactor (becoming a human atom bomb) but is foiled by Lehnsherr. The two fight and Sebastian has the upper hand, until Erik manages to remove his helmet allowing Xavier to mentally freeze his body. Lehnsherr then takes Shaw's helmet for himself and uses his ability to force the Nazi gold coin he still kept through Shaw's brain, killing him. His body was then used by Erik, as a means of showing he was now in charge of Shaw's former comrades.
Sebastian Shaw's personality seems to be very cunning, able to project himself to be friendly on the surface but deep down, he is an evil man with a complete disregard for human life.
Powers and abilities
- Kinetic Absorption: As a mutant, Shaw has the unique ability to absorb energy, and once absorbed into his body ti can be used to empower his physical abilities. He is also able to absorb the energy of any blow he is struck by, including not only physical strikes, but also bullets, and energy blasts.
- Superhuman Condition: He use this energy to augment his strength, vitality, recuperation and speed to superhuman levels.
- Energy Projection: He is able to project the stored energy into something like an energy ball, allowing him to kill people.
- Near-Invincibility: He cannot be affected by any form of physical attacks, ballistic attacks or any explosions, as the energy is absorbed much faster than it can even start to affect him. This trait does make him almost impossible to defeat.
- Superhuman Longevity: Shaw can also use the energy he has absorbed to keep himself young- that is why he can live for multiple lifetimes.
- Master Strategist: He not only prides himself on his power and the connections it allows him, but on knowing his opponents and how best to defeat them, whether in battle or in business.
- Telepathy Blocker: He also possessed technology that can block telepathic intrusions by mutants like Professor X, as well as Emma Frost.
Sebastian Shaw possesed a powerful and mysterious metallic helmet given to him by the Russians. The helmet was made of an unknown magnetic metal that could block any telepath that planned to read Shaw's mind. The helmet was later doned by Erik Lehnsherr, who took it as both a token of victory and to hide him from Charles Xavier.
Behind the scenes
This article doesn't have any behind-the-scenes information about this character. Please add some!
- The character "Mr. Shaw" shown on TV in X2 was originally intended to be Sebastian Shaw, as an easter egg for fanservice to those who reads the comics. However since he died in X-Men: First Class it is more likely that this is merely a different person with the same surname. It is possible that they are related.
- In the comics, Shaw's powers are slightly different, since he only can absorb kinetic energy and transform it into physical strength.
- Curiously, Shaw's Nazi alias, Klaus Schmidt, has got the same surname as the Red Skull.
- As his death predates the point of divergence from the original timeline in 1973, Shaw is the only deceased main antagonist in the series, the others being William Stryker and Ichirō Yashida, whose death is known to remain certain by the revised 2023.