|Alias(es)|| Bobby Drake|
|Appeared in|| X-Men|
X2: X-Men United
X-Men: The Last Stand
X-Men: Days of Future Past
|Status|| Deceased (Original Timeline)|
Alive (New Timeline)
- "Call me Iceman."
- ―Bobby Drake[src]
Robert "Bobby" Drake, also known as Iceman, is a mutant who can create ice from water or any moisture.
Robert Drake was born in Boston, Massachusetts, to William and Madeline Drake. When Bobby Drake first discovered his mutant ability, he hid it from his parents and his brother. He convinced his parents to enroll him in Xavier's school, telling them it was a prep school.
- "Welcome to Mutant High."
- ―Bobby Drake [src]
Bobby is only a minor character. Bobby is one of the first students to reach out to Rogue and begins a romantic relationship with her.
- "Call me Iceman."
- ―Bobby Drake[src]
Bobby has an uneasy friendship/rivalry with Pyro. His relationship with his family is also strained, and his brother actually turns Bobby in to the police out of jealousy. He also becomes more of a member of X-Men but the older X-Men still think, he and Rogue, are too young to start fighting. His relationship grows with Rogue during the course they're together. He also stops the conversation between Wolverine and William Stryker by creating a ice wall with his powers. He also freezes Wolverine's soda and his mother's cup and turns the coffee to ice showing how much his powers have grown.
Bobby is part of the X-Men, a full fledged member of the group, and is seen in the Danger Room with the rest of the X-Men. With one of the Sentinels coming to him and Kitty Pryde with the Sentinel firing a rocket with his power even stronger. He used it and stopped the rocket hitting them with another one about to hit when Bobby had his back turned, Kitty saw it with her power grab him and the rocket that went right through them with Rogue appearing in the distant saw them and assumed that they were hugging. His relationship with Rogue appears to be deteriorating, strained by their inability to have physical contact and by his close friendship with Kitty Pryde. Seeing them both almost "kiss" prompts Rogue to seek out "the cure" so she can finally touch Bobby without fear of hurting him. He takes part in the X-Men's final confrontation with Magneto's army and shows his true power by fighting Pyro one-on-one. During this battle, Iceman's ability to transform his body into ice is finally shown, giving him the form of Iceman from the comics and allowing him to defeat Pyro. Being first implied in a previous confrontation between the two former best friends in which Bobby's fist ices over. After the battle, he finds Rogue in her room, having taken the cure. Unlike his mainstream counterpart, Bobby Drake is more of an every-man and not a cynical underachiever.
- "They'll find us, they always do"
Bobby, Kitty Pryde and Colossus meet up with fellow survivors Bishop, Warpath, Blink and Sunspot. They form a way to survive; Warpath detects a Sentinel and alerts Kitty and Bishop. While they fight off the Sentinels as long as they can, Kitty sends Bishop back a few days ago to warn them of the attack. During the opening battle Bobby freezes one Sentinel solid that was chasing Kitty and Bishop, but during the battle the Sentinel breaks free and grabs Bobby around the neck, before decapitating him. However the death was erased thanks to Kitty and Bishop. This goes on for a while as they travel the world. They eventually meet up with their old teachers Storm, Charles Xavier, Wolverine, and Magneto. They decide to send Logan back in time to end the war before it ever begins. Iceman stays with Kitty as she sends Logan back in time. During which, Logan stabs Kitty and she begins to lose a lot of blood so he tries to convince Charles and Magneto to let her rest but they insist she continues. Later the Sentinels attack the place and kill most of the X-Men. Iceman freezes the door to buy time but the Sentinels manage to break through. Bobby attempts to hold them off, but a series of energy blasts rip through his abdomen as he screams in pain, treating him to a painful death. Iceman did not die in vain however, as his tactics bought just enough time for the plan to go through, and time is successfully altered before the Sentinels can kill the remaining survivors.
Iceman and Rogue were still together at the school. They smiled at Logan and walked away holding hands.
Powers and Abilities
- Organic Ice Transformation/Mutant Physiology: Iceman is a very powerful mutant with the power of cryogenesis, cryokinesis and an ice form that is nearly indestructible; by the events of X-Men: Days of Future Past Iceman has become powerful to the point of transforming into pure ice and travelling on ice slides.
- Cryogenesis: With the power to generate sub-freezing temperatures, Iceman can create ice projectiles, ice shields, and even coat himself in a full body suit of ice armor. He can also create ice from water or any moisture.
- Cryokinesis: Iceman can manipulate sub-freezing temperatures and ice.
- Invulnerability: Iceman's ice armor is durable to the point where bullets cannot penetrate it, even Pyro's flames' could not melt it. In X-Men: Days of Future Past, the ice armor was pushed to its limit; a Sentinel Mark X was able to decapitate Iceman, despite the latter being in his ice form as the ice armor is extremely durable.
- Superhuman Immunity: Iceman is immune to sub-zero temperatures and environments.
- X-Man uniform: Bobby wears a protective suit, when he is out on the field in battle.
- Marie D'Ancanto/Rogue - Girlfriend.
- John Allerdyce/Pyro - Best friend turned archenemy.
- Peter Rasputin/Colossus - Friend and teammate.
- Kitty Pryde/Shadowcat - Teammate and former love interest.
- Ororo Munroe/Storm - Teacher and friend.
- Scott Summers/Cyclops - Teacher.
- Logan/Wolverine - Teacher, teammate and friend.
- Charles Xavier/Professor X - Teacher.
- Erik Lehnsherr/Magneto - Enemy turned ally.
- Lucas Bishop/Bishop - Teammate and friend.
- Clarice Ferguson/Blink - Teammate and friend.
- Roberto DaCosta/Sunspot - Teammate and friend.
- James Proudstar/Warpath - Teammate and friend.
- Ronny Drake - Brother turned enemy.
- Madeline Drake - Mother.
- William Drake - Father.
- Canon (4 films)
Behind the scenes
- The Ultimate Marvel series used Iceman and Rogue as boyfriend and girlfriend much like X2.
- In X-Men: The Last Stand, Iceman fights Pyro at Alcatraz while in X-Men: The Official Game he fights Pyro at a power plant.
- In the novelization for X-Men: The Last Stand, Iceman saves Pyro from the destruction of Dark Phoenix.
- In the Rogue cut X-Men: Days of Future Past Bobby dies much earlier. Along with Magneto he heads back to Xavier's mansion and rescues Rogue. The Sentinels discover they have arrived and Bobby remains behind to hold them off so Magneto and Rogue can escape. While successful for a time he is eventually overpowered and melted in the same manner to the theater version. Ultimately his sacrifice was not in vain as Magneto and Rogue both manage to escape the Sentinels and get Rogue back to the others where she takes Kitty's powers and takes over for her.