Read on only if you don't mind reading spoilers for the film.
|Appeared in|| Captain America: The Winter Soldier|
Avengers: Age of Ultron
- "You didn't see that coming?"
- ―Pietro Maximoff to Clint Barton[src]
Pietro Maximoff was a genetically enhanced Sokovian citizen who was capable of moving and thinking at superhuman speeds. He was twin brother of Wanda Maximoff.
As HYDRA was harnessing the power of the scepter for a variety of effects, such as powering paraphernalia ranging from their own technology to Chitauri tech recovered from New York, Strucker approaches a group of Sokovian rioters, offering them the power needed to save their country. Among the rioters are twins Pietro and Wanda Maximoff. The Sokovians agree, and each undergo a number of tests where they are exposed to the scepter's energy; out of all of the test subjects, only the Maximoffs survive.
Pietro and his sister Wanda were waiting with Baron Strucker when the Avengers raided the Sokovian HYDRA outpost. The Twins joined the fight and Pietro caught Hawkeye's arrows before they could hit their target and taunted him asking "you didn't see that coming?" He also punched Captain America, knocking him down before rejoining his sister who decided to let the Avengers take Loki's Scepter after seeing inside Tony Stark's mind.
Ultron, knowing that the Twins hated Stark, met with them in a Sokovian monastery where Pietro explained how their family was killed by Tony Stark's bombs. Ultron offered them a position by his side and they accepted.
They went to South Africa to get Vibranium from Ulysses Klaue but were attacked once more by the Avengers. Pietro engaged Captain America and managed to land several blows before being knocked down. After finding Wanda injured from her fight with Hawkeye they both left with Ultron for Seoul.
In Seoul, Wanda read the mind of the currently-being-built Vision who was embedded with the Mind Gem and saw the cataclysmic future that Ultron desired. Pietro lifted his sister and escaped the laboratories. When the Avengers came to stop Ultron, Pietro and Wanda assisted them and once the Vision was retrieved they return with Captain America to Avengers Tower.
Pietro sided with Captain America when it was discovered that Stark had began to upload J.A.R.V.I.S. into the Vision, wishing to create another android. Pietro pulled out the power sources when Hawkeye shot the glass floor he was standing on. After the Vision explained his alliance, the group left for Sokovia where Ultron had returned to.
During the Battle for Sokovia, Pietro managed to help evacuate some of the civilians and destroy several dozen Ultron Sentries. When Ultron attempted to gun down the Avengers using the Quinjet Pietro saved Hawkeye and the injured child he was carrying. After he stopped running he realized that the bullets had actually hit him and fell down next to Hawkeye, his last words being "You didn't see that one coming."
In the aftermath of the battle, Hawkeye gave his newborn child the middle name Pietro in honor of his fallen ally.
Pietro and his sister Wanda have Eastern European accents. Pietro has an impatient personality because it seems to him that the rest of the world is moving in slow motion and that he is constantly waiting for it to catch up. He had a fun-loving, semi-serious flare to him.
Powers and Abilities
Wanda and her brother Pietro are classified as "Enhanced" by the Avengers. The twins were experimented on by Strucker using Loki's scepter. The ending results gave the twins different and unique power sets as a result:
- Superhuman Speed: Quicksilver has the ability to run at extremely high, even supersonic speeds. When imprisoned by Wolfgang von Strucker, he was able move from one end of his cell to another in less than a fraction of a second.
- Speed-induced resistance: Quicksilver can resist the effects of friction, reduced oxygen, and kinetic impact, while moving at incredible speeds.
- Superhuman reflexes: Quicksilver's increased speed also augments his reaction time, allowing him to react to danger and events much faster than a normal human.
- Scarlet Witch - Sister.
- Ultron - Ally turned enemy and killer.
- Vision - Ally.
- Dr. Helen Cho - Enemy turned ally through brainwashing.
- Baron Von Strucker - Ally.
- Dr. List - Ally.
- The Avengers - Enemies turned allies.
- James Rhodes - Ally.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (2 films)
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (1 comic)
Behind the scenes
- The film's character is loosely based on the Ultimate Marvel version of the character.
- On October 30th, Aaron Taylor-Johnson officially signed on as Quicksilver.
- Taylor-Johnson's Kick-Ass co-star Evan Peters portrayed the X-Men version of the character in 2014's X-Men: Days of Future Past and 2016's X-Men: Apocalypse.
- Two cinematic versions of Quicksilver currently exist simultaneously. Quicksilver can be used by either Marvel Studios or 20th Century Fox providing that the latter doesn't mention anything about his allegiance to the Avengers and the former doesn't refer to him as a "mutant" or name him as Magneto's son. Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige stated that the Marvel Studios' version of Quicksilver would differ from Evan Peters' version of the character from X-Men: Days of Future Past in that they would focus on his history in Eastern Europe, while the X-Men version of the character omitted this background detail.
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson's mid-credits role in Captain America: The Winter Soldier was uncredited.
- Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn revealed that both the twins were originally going to appear in the film's post-credit scene.
- Despite his character's death, Aaron Taylor-Johnson is contracted to reprise his role in future pictures. This has led to fan speculation that his character may be revived in Infinity War. As shown on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., those with Inhuman DNA, such as Daisy Johnson, were revived with the GH.325 drug without any ill effects, even before their latent abilities were awakened.
- Pietro's screen time in Avengers: Age of Ultron is 26:43.