|Appeared in||Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer|
|Actor|| Doug Jones|
Laurence Fishburne (Voice)
- This article is about the character. For the 2007 film, see Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. For the film that was in development and later abandoned, see The Silver Surfer (film).
- "All that you know, is at an end."
- ―Silver Surfer[src]
In this continuity, the Surfer's origins are highly similar to that of his comic-book incarnation, in that he agreed to become Galactus' herald in return for the safety of his home-world, Zenn-La, and the woman he loved, Shalla-Bal. The movie incarnation differs from his comics counterpart in that instead of having innate power (the Power Cosmic), his power comes from the surfboard itself, which also serves as a beacon for Galactus. After Doctor Doom renders him unconscious, he steals the board. The Fantastic Four free the Surfer from imprisonment to help them defeat Doom. Doom throws a cosmic spear at the Surfer to kill him, but Sue Storm steps in an attempt to save him. She tries to use her force fields to block the spear, but it passes through the field and impales Sue. The Surfer turns on Galactus after he witnesses Sue dying in Reed's arms. The Surfer brings Sue back to life and then goes off to destroy Galactus, appearing to implode when he does. At the end of the film, Surfer is floating aimlessly through space, with his board in the background. As he drifts off screen, his eyes open and his board flies towards him.
Powers and Abilities
- Superhuman Strength: Radd's strength is comparable to the Thing who can lift a maximum of 1 000 tons.
- Invulnerability: Radd's invulnerability allows him to survive anything the Fantastic Four, Doom, or the military could throw at him with ease. Even when removed from his board and being tortured by a government agent, he seems to show no signs of damage.
- Massive Superhuman Speed: Radd's speed in space is massively faster than light as seen when he travelled an at least inter-steller distance in a little more than a few seconds, but he appears to hold back a lot when in an atmosphere propably around mach-10 due to that being the limited safe speed in an atmosphere.
- Superhuman Reflexes: He has amazing reflexes as seen when he easily reacted to a salvo of missiles headed for him.
- Superhuman Stamina: Radd hasn't shown to tire at all.
- Matter Manipulation: Radd can also manipulate matter allowing him to freeze large bodies of water, create massive holes in the ground without digging, and make Johnny Storm's molecules unstable.
- Intangibility: Radd can traverse through solid materials without breaking them, probably through matter manipulation.
- Space Breathing: Radd could breath in space, probaly through matter manipulation.
- Projection: Radd was shown to be able to project images of the surface of his stomach.
- Skilled Combatant: Radd has shown he is very capable of fighting off multiple obstacles and opponents including, but probably not limited to a salvo of missiles, the Fantastic Four, and Doctor Doom without to much problem.
- Fantastic Four - Allies
- Sue Storm - Ally, who reminds him of his girlfriend on his home planet
- Johnny Storm - Helps him pick up speed while heading towards Galactus
- Ben Grimm - Helps break him out of imprisonment
- Reed Richards - Ally who is able to study the Surfer's board
- Doctor Doom - Enemy who briefly stole his board
- General Hager - Enemy who briefly captured him
- Galactus - Former Master
- Story series (1 film)
Behind the scenes
- It has been said that he could have a his own film and is more in chance of happening than another fantastic four film.
- A solo film for the Silver Surfer was planned, and even scripted, before the project was eventually abandoned. The solo film would have better explored his origins, and would have revealed Galactus in his true form (which would be similar to the blue and purple attire he wears in the comics). It was even more likely to be made than a third Fantastic Four film.
- Unlike in the comics, the Silver Surfer's cosmic power comes from his surfboard instead of being possessed by himself.
- Silver Surfer forms a friendship with Alicia Masters in the comics.