The Marvel Cinematic Universe is a shared fictional universe which crosses over superhero films independently produced by Marvel Studios. The timeline below chronicles the major events that led to each disparate Marvel Universe character to the Avengers film produced by Marvel Studios. Avenger team members include Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, Hawkeye, and Black Widow.
- Malekith, the leader of the Dark Elves of Svartalfheim, planned to use the Convergence to release the Aether, a relic from before the universe, and plunge the Nine Realms back into darkness. The Asgardians intervened and took the Aether from the Dark Elves by force, watching as that race was apparently decimated in the destruction of their warships. Bor, the father of Odin then had the Aether hidden away where no one could find it. (Thor: The Dark World)
- Malekith and the remaining Elves escape in the Harrow into space. (Thor: The Dark World)
- The monstrous race known as the Frost Giants attacks a Norwegian village with the Casket of Ancient Winters in the first step of their plan to conquer the Nine Realms. The Asgardians, led by their king, Odin, step in and defeat the Jotuns and banish them back to Jotunheim, and confiscate the Casket of Ancient Winters to leave them powerless. Odin presumably leaves the Cosmic Cube on Earth. (Thor)
- After defeating Laufey, Odin takes his child Loki and raises him alongside Thor as his own son. (Thor)
- The Asgardian that would come to be known as Elliot Randolph was a stone mason for thousands of years before being recruited for a military mission to Midgard. Tired of his mundane existence in Asgard and desiring to travel the Realms, Randolph signed on. while on Earth, the Asgardian served with an Asgardian army called "The Berserkers" who gained superior strength, even by Asgardian standards, by touching a device known as the Berserker Staff, which brought all of the rage and hatred that the wielder keeps suppressed and transforms it into strength. During his time on Earth, Randolph fell in love with the planet and its people, and when the rest of the Asgardian host returned home, Randolph stayed behind. The Berserker Staff was left behind as well. Randolph did not care for the thing or the power it possessed, and so he broke the staff into three pieces and spread them across Europe. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "The Well")
- Sometime later the remaining Dark Elves return to their planet. (Captain America & Thor: Avengers!)
- Loki, Sif, Hogun, Volstagg, and Thor save Fandral from the Dark Elves. (Captain America & Thor: Avengers!)
- Thor fights Imir and defeats him. (The Avengers: The Avengers Initiative)
- The Asgardian who would become known as Elliot Randolph lived on Earth for several centuries until the year 1546, when he met and fell in love with a French girl. He told her his story and her brother, who happened to be a priest, wrote the story down and created the legend of "The Warrior Who Stayed". (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "The Well")
- Steve Rogers is born in Brooklyn, New York. (Captain America: The First Avenger)
- Between September 1917 and November 1918.
- Joe Rogers dies from a Mustard Gas attack with the 107th during the First World War. (Captain America: The First Avenger)
- June 1st
- In Hell's Kitchen, Manhattan, a young Steve Rogers talks to his mother about his father. Soon after, his mother dies from tuberculosis and Rogers is sent to an orphanage. (Captain America: First Vengeance, tie-in comic #1)
- January 1st
- September 1st
- In Hell's Kitchen, Manhattan, Steve meets James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes during a back ally scuffle with some bullies. The two become friends. (Captain America: First Vengeance, Digital Comic #1)
- June 30th
- Johann Schmidt meets Adolf Hitler, Himler and Erst Kaufmann head of the Special Weapon Division meet after a Wagner opera, where Schmidt reveals his theory that Norse gods and their magic could be more than myth.
- Dr. Abraham Erskine and Howard Stark meet at an Engineering Conference.
- Johann Schmidt assassinates Erst Kaufmann and seizes control of his weapons program. (Captain America: First Vengeance, Digital Comic #3)
- July 5th
- September 1st
- World War II begins.
- Howard Stark begins a demonstration which would showcase vibranium, a metal discovered by Stark Industries researchers in Africa, and then meets with Colonel Philips. After being attacked by HYDRA assassins Stark agrees to join Col Philip's newly created Strategic Science Reserve (SSR).
- Johann Schmidt takes part in an test involving Erskine and his Super Soldier Serum which turns Schmidt into what he would become known as the Red Skull. Erskine is rescued by Agent Thirteen (Peggy Carter) and brought into the (SSR) (Captain America: The First Avenger)
- Erskine spots Steve Rogers at a recruitment office. (Captain America: The First Avenger)
- Steve Rogers is recruited by Abraham Erskine into the trials to determine the first test subject. (Captain America: The First Avenger)
- Johann Schmidt and Arnim Zola successfully transfer energy from the Cosmic Cube into their HYDRA weapons. (Captain America: The First Avenger)
- Steve Rogers is injected with the Super Soldier Serum. Heinz Kruger assassinates Abraham Erskine on Johann Schmidt's orders. (Captain America: The First Avenger)
- Steve Rogers tours with the USO as Captain America. (Captain America: The First Avenger)
- Captain America arrives in Italy with the USO. (Captain America: The First Avenger)
- Captain America rescues American POWs and first encounters the Red Skull. His success earns him official active duty status. (Captain America: The First Avenger)
- Howard Stark creates a unique shield and costume for Captain America. (Captain America: The First Avenger)
- Rogers invades a castle in the Nazi occupied Danish Straits. The castle is controlled by Nazi special weapons unit HYDRA. Here Cap fights a Nazi wearing an arc reactor powered battle suit, as well as an arc powered tank. Schmidt attempts to destroy them by using a mystical Viking runestone, but Rogers slows the relic from exploding to allow time for the Commandos to escape. (Captain America: First Vengeance)
- Rogers boards and captures the HYDRA submarine Leviathan. (Captain America & Thor: Avengers!)
- Rogers invades Castle Zemo in Bavaria. He battles Baron Wolfgang von Strucker, Madame Hydra, and Iron Cross. Arnim Zola recreates the Super Soldier Serum from Rogers' blood but Rogers destroys the sample. (Captain America: Super Soldier)
- After falling off a moving train while attempting to capture Arnim Zola, James Barnes is presumed dead.
- Captain America and US forces raid a HYDRA base. The Red Skull is destroyed when he touches the Cosmic Cube. (Captain America: The First Avenger)
- On board The Valkyrie was the Tesseract, which falls to the ocean. Captain America crashes the plane into the arctic, where he is frozen in suspended animation. He is presumed dead. (Captain America: The First Avenger, Nick Fury’s Big Week Prologue)
- Howard Stark recovers the Cosmic Cube, while searching for Steve. (Captain America: The First Avenger)
- Peggy Carter works for Agent John Flynn. (Agent Carter)
- Howard Stark recruits Peggy Carter to work alongside him at S.H.I.E.L.D.. (Agent Carter)
- Anton Vanko defects to the US and begins work with Howard Stark in developing Arc Reactor technology. (Iron Man 2: Public Identity, Iron Man 2)
- Howard Stark deports Anton Vanko as a spy. Howard Stark took credit for all Arc Reactor research. Vanko returns to the Soviet Union, but because Anton couldn’t develop the technology on his own he was exiled to Siberia. (Iron Man 2: Public Identity, Iron Man 2)
- During the Cold War, Fury was sent on a mission to Russia. (Nick Fury: Spies Like Us)
- Emil Blonsky is born in Russia.
- Tony Stark is born in Manhattan, New York.
- Howard Stark hides the secret to perfecting the Arc Reactor in layouts of the Stark Expo for Tony to find. (Iron Man 2)
- Tony Stark graduates MIT at the top of his class.
- Peter Quill leaves Earth. (Guardians of the Galaxy)
- Skye is born in a small Chinese village in the Hunan Province. Skye's parents and her entire village were killed defending her when she was just an infant. Designated as an 0-8-4 by S.H.I.E.L.D., a team was sent in to investigate. After losing contact with the main team, the back-end team, consisting of Richard Lumley, Linda Avery, and three other agents, investigated only to find the infant sleeping in the arms of the dead lead agent. The rest of the main team was dead. Once back in the States, the other members of the team started to be eliminated. To ensure her safety, Skye was dropped off by Avery at the St. Agnes orphanage and arrangements were made for her to be moved to different foster homes to keep her safe. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Seeds")
1990s - 2005
- Howard Stark dies when his son Tony is 20. (Iron Man, Iron Man 2: Public Identity, Iron Man 2)
- Bruce Banner meets Betty Ross while an undergrad at Harvard. They begin dating and at one point volunteer for an experiment involving hallucinogenics. (The Incredible Hulk)
- Tony Stark inherits Stark Industries becoming, at age 21, the youngest C.E.O. of a Fortune 500 company. In addition to the company’s numerous military contracts, Stark Industries also does pioneering work in medical technology and in combating world hunger with their Intelli-Crops program. In the process he becomes something of a media celebrity and a self-glorified capitalist. (Iron Man)
- Ivan Vanko is imprisoned for fifteen years for selling Soviet era, weapons grade plutonium to Pakistan. (Iron Man 2)
- New Years Eve 1999, Tony Stark, with his scientist paramour Maya Hansen, met Ho Yinsen who introduced Tony to Dr. Wu. After Tony arrogantly avoided crippled scientist Aldrich Killian, who wanted Stark's backing in his endeavour Advanced Idea Mechanics. (Iron Man 3)
- Melinda May, Phil Coulson and a team of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents were dispatched on a "Index Asset Evaluation and Intake" (or "Welcome Wagon") mission, investigating a newly discovered powered individual to Manama, Bahrain, that went south. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Repairs")
- When a civilian girl and several S.H.I.E.L.D. agents were being held by the followers (or worshippers) of the "Gifted" individual they had come to investigate, Melinda May took it upon herself to solve the problem. May went in by herself without a weapon and "crossed off" the enemy force, rescuing the agents. The incident earned May the nick-name "The Cavalry" within S.H.I.E.L.D., a designation she despises. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Repairs")
- Melinda May withdrew from combat duty, retreating to a desk-bound administrative position within the S.H.I.E.L.D. bureaucracy. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Repairs")
- General Ross revives the Super Soldier Program to make humans immune to Gamma Radiation. (The Incredible Hulk)
- Dr. Bruce Banner and Betty Ross, joins the group at Culver University in Willowdale, VA in southwestern Virginia working on way to strengthen cellular resistance to radiation. (The Incredible Hulk)
- Phil Coulson did a mission in Peru in 2000. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "0-8-4")
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Akela Amador led a team into one of the Gulag's run by Vanchat, where she was captured and lost an eye and the rest of her team was killed. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Eye-Spy")
2006 - 2008
- Akela Amador spends four years caged in a copper mine in the Shanxi Province. Amador's jailers performed multiple types of surgery on Amador, eventually installing a bionic eye in her head. Through this eye, she received instructions for jobs she was to perform. At first, she ignored the instructions, but found that she experienced great pain if she did. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Eye-Spy")
- A gamma radiation accident transformed scientist Bruce Banner into the Hulk. During his ensuing rampage, Banner hospitalizes his then lover, Betty Ross, General Ross' daughter. Banner goes on the run from General Thaddeus Ross, who wants to use Banner's power as a weapon. (The Incredible Hulk)
- Nick Fury meets with Banner in a bar, for see what he can do and in attempt to find a Super Soldier for themselves. Hulk escapes the bar. After this encounter, Fury declares that everything else including Banner is secondary, and that General Ross is who they must deal with. (The Incredible Hulk: The Fury Files)
- Agent Ward was in Georgia in 2008. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "The Hub")
- Obadiah Stane contacts Raza, leader of a Ten Rings terrorist cell, and offers him Stark weapons in exchange for the capture and execution of Tony Stark.
- Tony Stark demonstrates his Jericho Missile system in Afghanistan, where he is kidnapped by Ten Rings terrorists. They forced him to build version of Jericho for them. He instead builds an miniaturized Arc Reactor that protects his heart, from the shrapnel embedded inside his chest, and powered a suit of armor. (Iron Man)
- Nick Fury and Phil Coulson start to watch over Tony Stark after his capture, afraid that he could end up being a threat. (Iron Man: Security Measures )
- Stark builds the Iron Man Mark I armor with the help of Dr. Yinsen while being held captive. (Iron Man)
- On June 25, Aldrich Killian begins work on Extremis, using it on various people with missing limbs and disabilities. (Iron Man 3)
- Stark escapes using his Iron Man armor prototype and learns the terrorist cell was armed with weapons created by Stark Industries Dismayed, Stark returns to the US and announces he will no longer make weapons. (Iron Man)
September - October
- Tony Stark develops Mark II and Mark III Iron Man suits. Stark tests his weapon system on a Ten Rings terrorist cell and learns friend and Stark Industries business partner Obadiah Stane supplied weapons to the terrorists. (Iron Man)
- Stane retrieves the remains of the Mark I armor from a Ten Rings cell. (Iron Man)
- Virgina "Pepper" Potts, Tony's friend and secretary, learns that Stane had arranged Tony's kidnapping. Pepper contacts S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Phil Coulson for help. (Iron Man)
- Obadiah Stane has a group of scientists build the Iron Monger armor, based on the designs of the Iron Man Mark I armor. When his researchers can't build a miniaturized Arc Reactor to power the suit, he visits Tony Stark and takes the arc reactor used to power Tony's heart, almost killing him.
- Stane attacks Pepper and S.H.I.E.L.D. agents with his Iron Monger armor. Tony Stark fights Stane who is later killed by Pepper. (Iron Man)
- Coulson reveals to Stark and Rhodey that there will be press conference about the battle with Stane. (Iron Man: Fast Friends)
- At a press conference the day following his showdown with Obadiah Stane, Tony Stark rejects S.H.I.E.L.D.’s constructed alibi for the events of the previous evening and reveals to the world that he is Iron Man. (Iron Man)
- Anton Vanko dies in poverty in Moscow. His son, Ivan, vows revenge on Tony Stark. He begins building his own portable Arc Reactor to power his Whiplash rig. (Iron Man 2)
- Fury orders Agent Coulson to recruit Mr. Hendricks to S.H.I.E.L.D. (Iron Man 2: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.)
- Bruce Banner heads into the Rio De Janeiro favela known as Rocinha, to find a way to clandestinely contact Dr. Samuel Sterns, professor in Cellular Biology Department at NYC’s Grayburn College on the Upper East Side, for help in developing a cure. They communicate using codenames of “Mr. Blue” and “Mr. Green.” (The Incredible Hulk)
- Tony Stark is confronted by Nick Fury about the “Avengers Initiative.” Stark declines, and Fury calls in Black Widow. (Iron Man 2)
- As Tony was heading to meeting on Gorani Insurance, an Officer tells Tony that there was a Museum robbery, Tony then finds the robbers, defeats them and returns the paintings. (Iron Man 2: Fist of Iron)
- As some S.H.I.E.L.D. agents discovered the Ten Rings cell control in a vessel, Iron Man arrived on the scene and destroyed the cell control and defeated some members of the Ten Rings. Before leaving, he recorded an conversation that a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent had with Fury. (Iron Man 2: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.)
- Nick Fury keeps watching over Stark. (Iron Man 2: Public Identity')'
- With Tony Stark getting worse, Senator Stern have General Ross and Justin Hammer work on a new weapon named the Aerodynamic Marvel. (Iron Man 2: Public Identity)
- The Aerodynamic Marvel gets shot down. Stark saves the pilot and meets with General Ross and warned him that if he heard about another innocent being put in harm's way there would be consequences. (Iron Man 2: Public Identity)
- After Stark saved the pilot, Coulson believed that Tony may have finally figured out the role he could play at S.H.I.E.L.D. Fury decides that they will keep watching Stark. (Iron Man 2: Public Identity)
- Fury had the Black Widow get a job on Stark Industries under the alias of Natalie Rushman for get closer to Stark. (Iron Man 2: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.)
- Tony Stark as Iron Man manages to bring about a period of relative peace and is credited by some press as having stabilized East-West relations. Stark realizes that the Palladium core of his Arc Reactor is slowly poisoning him. He begins searching for a cure but keeps his condition a secret. (Iron Man 2)
- The Stark Expo is opened with plans to run for one year. (Iron Man 2)
- Bruce Banner accidentally drops his blood into a soft drink bottle, allowing General Ross to track Banner down, forcing him to flee back to the United States. (The Incredible Hulk)
- Tony Stark appears before the Senate Armed Services Committee’s Weaponized Suit Defense Program Hearings chaired by Pennsylvania Senator Stern. Stern pushes Stark to turn the Iron Man suit and technology over to the military but Stark refuses. Stern calls Justin Hammer, C.E.O. of Hammer Industries and Lt. James Rhodes to testify against Tony. Tony testifies that although other countries, including North Korea and Iran are working to replicate the technology, they are years away from being able to do so. He also reveals that Hammer Industries have also had their share of lack-of-success, leading to the cancellation of Hammer Industries’ contacts with the Department of Defense. (Iron Man 2)
- Tony Stark promotes Pepper Potts to Director of Stark Industries. (Iron Man 2)
- Natasha Romanoff is sent by S.H.I.E.L.D. to monitor Tony Stark under the alias of Natalie Rushman. (Iron Man 2)
- Tony Stark is attacked by Ivan Vanko in Monaco. (Iron Man 2)
- The next day, Ivan Vanko escapes prison and is hired by Justin Hammer to build Drones based on the Iron Man armor. That night, Rhodey sees the extent of Tony’s Palladium intoxication. (Iron Man 2)
May (Fury’s Big Week)
- Fifteen days after the bottle factory incident, S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Sitwell reports that Bruce Banner cleared customs and Agent Coulson detects an atmospheric disturbance. Nick Fury hears that Tony Stark has seventy-two hours until his death and asks for scientists to find a cure to the Palladium toxicity. (Fury's Big Week)
- Ivan Vanko begins working on Hammer Drones. That night, after Tony Stark drunkenly wields the Iron Man suit at his birthday party, friend and Colonel James Rhodes takes the Mark II armor, briefly fights Stark, then leaves with the suit. (Iron Man 2)
- Natasha Romanoff phones Nick Fury to tell him Tony Stark is losing control. Fury asks her to stay put and don’t blow her cover. (Fury’s Big Week)
- While Rhodes delivers the Mark II to the US military, Nick Fury meets with Stark regarding the incident and assigns Agent Phil Coulson and Natasha Romanoff (aka Black Widow) to watch over and guard Stark. Meanwhile, Justin Hammer turns the Mark II into War Machine by adding guns on it. This evening, Tony watches footage recorded by his father for the inauguration of the ’74 Stark Expo. (Iron Man 2)
- At Stark’s Mansion, Phil Coulson watches video surveillance of Jane Foster and Intern Darcy Lewis, stationed at Puente Antiguo, New Mexico. Sharing with Fury this information about electromagnetic storms and the fact Foster just called Erik Selvig, Banner’s old colleague, Fury urges Coulson to get out to the desert. (Fury’s Big Week)
- Bruce Banner arrives at Culver University to see Betty Ross and continue his research in hiding. (The Incredible Hulk)
- Tony Stark solves the problem with the Arc Reactor when Agent Coulson says goodbye and travels to New Mexico. That night, Tony Stark and James Rhodes fight Ivan Vanko and his Drones at the Stark Expo. Pepper has Justin Hammer arrested. Black Widow infiltrates Hammer Industries and disables Vanko's control over War Machine, allowing Rhodes and Stark to defeat and kill Vanko. (Iron Man 2)
- Before the explosion of Hammer Industries, Romanoff hacks the mainframe and downloads what Hammer had been developing. (Fury’s Big Week)
- In Asgard, Frost Giants attack Odin's weapon vault during Thor's coronation. Odin uses the Destroyer to kill the attackers. As retribution, Thor and his friends travel to Jotunheim, nearly getting themselves killed. In response to his behavior, Odin banishes Thor and his hammer Mjølnir to Earth. There, Jane Foster and Dr. Erik Selvig detect the wormhole created by Thor's descent and locate Thor in New Mexico. (Thor)
- On the way to New Mexico, Agent Coulson stops a burglary. (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor’s Hammer)
- Coulson gathers S.H.I.E.L.D. forces from Roswell outpost and direct them to Puente Antiguo. Clint Barton is called by Fury and assigned to New Mexico. (Fury’s Big Week)
- A civilian discovers Mjølnir. Agent Coulson finds it shortly after and refers to Fury. Erik Selvig considers Thor a madman for his claims to be Thor but Jane intends to help him. Meanwhile, Loki learns of his Frost Giant heritage. When Odin falls into Odinsleep, Loki is given his spear Gungnir and claims control over Asgard. On Earth, Coulson shuts down Jane Foster's research lab. That night, Thor breaks into the S.H.I.E.L.D. station to retrieve Mjølnir. Hawkeye makes his appearance watching over the break-in. Thor is captured and interrogated by Coulson. During his detention, Loki appears to Thor and tells him Odin has died. Minutes later, Dr. Selvig helps Thor escape, while Loki allies himself with Laufey. (Thor)
- In the meantime, Phil Coulson contacts Elliot Randolph for help in New Mexico. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "The Well")
- Natasha Romanoff brings Hammer data to Fury, who tells her Ross is about to make a move on Banner at Culver University. He needs her to replace Sitwell, sent to New Mexico, on surveilling Banner. (Fury’s Big Week)
- That night, Betty Ross sees Banner and meets him on a bridge, after what she gives him data concerning the Gamma Incident. Meanwhile, Captain Emil Blonsky is given the Super Soldier Serum and tasked to capture Bruce Banner. (The Incredible Hulk)
- A task force including Emil Blonsky attacks Bruce Banner at Culver University. Banner transforms into the Hulk, saving Betty and severely injuring Blonsky, then makes his escape. (The Incredible Hulk)
- Meanwhile, Nick Fury brings Tony Stark into the Avengers Initiative as a consultant. (Iron Man 2)
- Heimdall allows Sif and the Warriors Three, friends to Thor, to travel to Earth, but Loki sends the Destroyer, then turns on Laufey moments before he kills Odin. Thor regains his power, defeats the Destroyer, and returns to Asgard. Thor battles Loki and destroys the Bifrost Bridge. Refusing to atone for his sins, Loki allows himself to fall into the void of space. (Thor)
- Clint Barton finds the Destroyer and phones Coulson to recover the “extraterrestrial object,” which is brought back to the Roswell S.H.I.E.L.D. Airbase. (Fury’s Big Week)
- Bruce Banner and Betty Ross travel to Samuel Sterns’ in hiding. Via S.H.I.E.L.D., General Ross intercepts an email and prepare to close on Banner with Blonsky, now fully recovered. (The Incredible Hulk)
- (Approximate date) Rhodes and Stark receive medals from Senator Stern. (Iron Man 2)
- At a Greenland S.H.I.E.L.D. base camp, a HYDRA “Chicago” airbone pilot is found in the ice. (Fury’s Big Week)
- In the morning, The World Security Council asks Fury to “stop wasteful programs” like finding Rogers, coddling Stark and maintaining surveillance on Banner: funding, equipment and manpower will be dedicated to analysis of the Tesseract in Project P.E.G.A.S.U.S.. In the afternoon, Nick Fury tries to dissuade General Ross from continuing research on Super-Soldiers and strongly suggests him to pull Captain Blonsky from the field. Ross refuses then leaves, “having a Hulk to catch.” Fury sends Romanoff. (Fury’s Big Week)
- That night, Dr. Samuel Sterns attempts to cure Bruce Banner. General Ross appears and captures Banner. Emil Blonsky then forces Sterns to inject him with Banner's blood, transforming him into Abomination. During the transformation, Sterns also becomes infected with a small amount of Banner's blood. (The Incredible Hulk)
- Natasha Romanoff finds Sterns, brain-enhanced by Banner’s blood. She shoots him in the knee to stop him from leaving the scene then asks S.H.I.E.L.D. for cleanup. (Fury’s Big Week)
- Abomination rampages across Harlem. Banner becomes the Hulk, defeats Abomination, and escapes pursuit. (The Incredible Hulk)
- Fury asks the World Security Council for an increase on budgetary allocations after the recent events: Stark's discovery of a new element perhaps useful for reigniting the Tesseract, an alliance with Thor and Dr. Selvig, the recovering of the Destroyer, the conceiling of Ross’ Super-Soldier experiment, and the future recovering of Rogers, the only human being who saw the Tesseract in action. (Fury’s Big Week)
- With the destruction of the Bifrost, the balance on the Nine Realms starts to shift. (Thor: The Dark World Prelude)
- Constructicon on Stark Tower begins. (Iron Man 3 Prelude)
- Bruce Banner remains hidden in remote woods as he tries to control the Hulk powers. (The Incredible Hulk)
- The World Security Council requests the release of Emil Blonsky into the Avengers Initiative, blaming his rampage on Banner. Agent Sitwell and Agent Coulson send Tony Stark to meet with General Ross and sabotage the meeting. (The Consultant)
- Annoyed by Stark, Ross refuses to release Blonsky. (The Consultant, The Incredible Hulk)
- Tony Stark strips the War Machine armor of Hammer Industries weapons and builds a new War Machine suit. (Iron Man 3 Prelude)
- Tony goes to Dubai and is attacked by a couple of Raiders. (The Avengers: The Avengers Initiative)
- Bruce Banner heads to Afghanistan, then Pakistan and then India and is attacked by some Mercenary Bandits. He becomes the Hulk and attacks them. (The Avengers: The Avengers Initiative)
- Natasha arrives in Moscow, Russia disguised as Tatiana Sokolova. She encounters and later defeats Sofia who was trying to take the name "Black Widow". (Black Widow Strikes)
- James Rhodes attempts to get to the bottom of the Ten Rings terrorist organization. (Iron Man 3 Prelude)
- Nick Fury recruits Dr. Selvig and shows him the Cosmic Cube. Loki is revealed in the reflection to be controlling Selvig. (Thor)
- Jane Foster tries to find a way to open a wormhole from Earth to Asgard in hopes of bringing Thor back to Earth. (Thor: The Dark World Prelude)
- S.H.I.E.L.D. locates Captain America trapped in ice. (Captain America: The First Avenger, Nick Fury’s big week)
- Captain America wakes up in a S.H.I.E.L.D. facility and panics, escaping into the streets. Nick Fury explains what happened and recruits Captain America to the Avengers. (Captain America: The First Avenger)
- James Rhodes continues to track down the Ten Rings organization. (Iron Man 3 Prelude)
- Loki Laufeyson's self-exile brings him into contact with Thanos who gives him knowledge not only of the Tesseract, a cosmic cube left on earth, but also ancient knowledge of more potent magic as well. Thanos gives him a golden scepter with a blue gem that acted both as a weapon and as a mind control device. Thanos introduced Loki to the leader of the Chitauri and the three formed a pact that would allow him to become ruler of the Earth. (The Avengers, Thor: The Dark World Prelude)
- Frigga sees the meeting between Loki and Thanos, discovering that he was still alive. (Thor: The Dark World Prelude)
- Tony Stark completes the constructicon on Stark Tower and uses an Arc Reactor as a power supply to have it power itself for over a year. (The Avengers)
- The Tesseract begins to emit low levels of Gamma Radiation. Nick Fury arrives at the scene moments before Loki Laufeyson travels through a portal generated by the Tesseract and assaults the base. Loki then posseses Clint Barton, Erik Selvig and several S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents with the Chitauri scepter given to him by Thanos before escaping the facility with the Tesseract. Nick Fury proclaims that Earth is now at war and reactivates The Avengers Initiative. (The Avengers)
- Natasha Romanoff interrogates Georgi Luchkov. Agent Coulson calls and tells her that Clint Barton has been compromised. (The Avengers)
- Heimdall confirms that Loki is on Earth after the Tesseract. (Thor: The Dark World Prelude)
- Nick Fury sends Natasha Romanoff to find Bruce Banner and convince him to help them trace the Gamma Radiation traces given off by the Tesseract, and sends Phil Coulson to meet with Tony Stark to convice him to assist S.H.I.E.L.D. in finding the Tesseract. Meanwhile, Fury visits Steve Rogers and gets him to join the Avengers Initiative. (The Avengers)
- S.H.I.E.L.D. contacts Jane Foster and Darcy Lewis and send them to Tromso, Norway. (Thor: The Dark World Prelude)
- Loki Laufeyson sets up shop in an unknown location and gains enough support to allow Selvig to build the device to open the gateway for the Chitauri forces to come through. He is eventually contacted by the Other, emissary of Thanos and is reminded that if he fails, there will be no place in the universe he will be able to hide. Now fearful of any kind of failure, he consults with Barton on what was the next step which is getting iridium to help stabilize the wormhole and knows where to get it. (The Avengers)
- Arriving on S.H.I.E.L.D.'s main base, the Helicarrier, Rogers, Romanoff and Banner all meet with Fury and see the Helicarrier in action. (The Avengers)
- Loki is spotted in Stuttgart, Germany. Rogers is then sent to go after him, armed with his trusty shield and a new modified uniform, along side Romanoff. (The Avengers)
- Odin uses Dark energy to send back Thor to Midgard, as Thor heads back he ends up landing in a forest. (Thor: The Dark World Prelude)
- Captain America confronts Loki. Iron Man joins him and Loki surrenders to S.H.I.E.L.D. (The Avengers)
- En route back to the Helicarrier, Thor returns to get Loki and the Tesseract back. Thor tries to reason with Loki but is stopped by Stark and after a battle with him that is intervened by Captain America, do they realize they are after the same thing and escort Loki to the Helicarrier. (The Avengers)
- the Avengers begin to argue with one another about Loki, the Tesseract being used to possibly create weapons as deterrence to future threats and to some extent, with one another. At the same time, Barton, along with other brainwashed agents, attack the Helicarrier to free Loki. Stark and Rogers try to fix the damaged engine, while Romanoff had to fend off the threat of Banner, now transformed into the Hulk but survives only with the intervention of Thor. (The Avengers)
- Loki escapes but kills Phil Coulson and jettisons Thor out of the Helicarrier, trapped in an cage meant to be used for the Hulk. The Hulk is also jettisoned out of the Helicarrier. However, the death of Coulson finally brings the team together. Rogers, Stark, Romanoff and Barton, now freed of Loki's control, decide to go to New York after Loki. (The Avengers)
- War Machine arrives in Hong Kong and continues fighting the Ten Rings organization. (Iron Man 3 Prelude)
- Loki commandeers Stark Tower to be used as the location to open the wormhole for the Chitauri to invade as it has a clean supply of energy thanks to the Arc Reactor powering it, But also as a means to satisfy his own ego. Tony Stark arrives and confronts Loki to "threaten" him, assuring Loki that the Avengers will defeat him. Selvig activates the device powered by the Tesseract, opening the gateway for the Chitauri forces to come through and begin their attack on the city. (The Avengers)
- Tony contacts Rhodes, asking him if he can help him on New York. But Rhodes is unable to make it in time. (Iron Man 3 Prelude)
- The Avengers rally in defense of New York and follow the command of Captain America. The Hulk beats Loki into submission. The team hold off the invasion well but are outnumbered by the aliens. A nuclear missile is sent by the World Security Council to destroy the city. Iron Man intercepts the missile and throws it through the portal, destroying the Chitauri fleet. The invaders die immediately. Hulk catches an unconscious Stark, who is revived. The Avengers arrest Loki. (The Avengers)
- After the battle, the Avengers head to a Shawarma restaurant for eat. (The Avengers)
- James Rhodes meets the Avengers. (Iron Man 3 Prelude)
- Thor returns to Asgard with the Tesseract and Loki. (The Avengers)
- the Avengers go their separate ways: Barton and Romanoff return to S.H.I.E.L.D., Banner and Stark leave for new horizons and Rogers rides off to explore the world he is now a part of. However, Fury realizes, reminded by Maria Hill, that should another similar threat come, the Avengers would be needed again. (The Avengers)
- The Other informs Thanos of Loki's defeat and warns him that going against Earth would be to court death. Thanos smiles. (The Avengers)
- Loki and Thor make it back to Asgard, Odin no longer considers Loki his son and sends him to the Dungeons. (Thor: The Dark World Prelude)
- Tony Stark begins building his Iron Legion army. (Iron Man 3 Prelude)
- Pepper Potts goes to live with Stark. (Iron Man 3 Prelude)
- A member of A.I.M reports to The Mandarin that they're hidden agents under the disguise of Ten Rings members managed to scan the War Machine armor, thus obtaining invaluable information data for use against Tony Stark. (Iron Man 3 Prelude)
- Claire Wise and Benjamin Pollack find a Chitauri gun and start using it to get anything they want. (Item 47)
- Jasper Sitwell apprehends Claire Wise and Benjamin Pollack and recruits them into S.H.I.E.L.D. (Item 47)
- Thor and Heimdall use the Tesseract to rebuild the Bifrost. (Thor: The Dark World Prelude)
- Tony and Rhodey fight The Melter (Iron Man: The Coming of the Melter)
- Days after Coulson's death, Nick Fury ordered extreme measures be taken to save him. S.H.I.E.L.D. medics cut open Coulson's skull and connected his brain to a machine of unknown origin. By stimulating the sensors of the brain (and after at least seven operations), Fury's doctors were actually able to bring Coulson back to life days after he had been killed. The process was extremely, inhumanly agonizing for Coulson, who begged the doctors to let him die. During the process, they altered some of his memories to make him believe that he was revived in Tahiti, in order to cope with the pain he felt and to make him less suicidal, as he wanted to die due to the intense agony he was experiencing. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "The Magical Place")
- Coulson returned to S.H.I.E.L.D. where only agents in Level 7 can know he survived Loki's attack. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Pilot")
- A.I.M begin experimenting with Extremis, using an device called the Centipede, injecting Mike Peterson and another person with it. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Pilot")
- During one of the Extremis explosions, Mike saves Debbie, he appears on the news as result, a girl named Skye records all this. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Pilot")
- Skye meets up with Mike Peterson and warns him about S.H.I.E.L.D. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Pilot")
- After Broadcasting a threat to S.H.I.E.L.D., Coulson and Agent Ward takes her in, planning to inject her with a truth serum to know more about Peterson. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Pilot")
- Later Mike Peterson confronts his former boss, Gary, as he looks desperately for work that will allow him to take care of his son. He ends the interaction by killing his boss. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Pilot")
- Peterson takes Skye hostage in an attempt to save her and himself, also requesting that she delete any and all of his presence so he can effectively disappear and keep himself and his son safe from the powers behind Centipede. Skye skillfully triggers a security breach and gives Coulson the coordinates of her position. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Pilot")
- A fight breaks out as Peterson tries to escape both Coulson’s team and the assassin that the doctor had instructed to kill him, and results in Ward being forced to shoot Mike in the head. Fortunately, due to his superhuman abilities, Mike Peterson survives and recovers from his wounds. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Pilot")
- Skye and Coulson are driving Lola, Coulson's hovercraft vintage red car toward what Agent Ward called a “0-8-4”, after Coulson requests that Skye seriously consider joining the team long-term and helping them further their cause. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Pilot")
- The team heads to Peru to find the "0-8-4" item which was left behind by the Germans and was powered by the Tesseract, in there Coulson meets up with Camilla Reyes, who betrays him and ended in the Bus being damaged. She was taken into custody and they got rid of the item. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "0-8-4")
- Sometime later Fury meets with Coulson after his mission in Peru and is enraged about the damage made to the plane. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "0-8-4")
- Tony inserts a micro-repeater implanting device into his arm which allows him to summon the new Mark XLII armor with his thoughts. (Iron Man 3)
- Tony's Iron Legion starts creating friction with his girlfriend Pepper Potts. A string of bombings by terrorist the Mandarin has left intelligence agencies bewildered by lack of forensic evidence. (Iron Man 3)
- When Happy Hogan is badly injured in an attack on the Chinese Theatre, which was triggered by an Extremis subject, Jack Taggert. (Iron Man 3)
- Tony Stark visits Happy in a hospital. While walking out a group of reporters try to interview him about the Mandarin. Tony overcomes his stupor and issues a televised threat to the Mandarin . (Iron Man 3)
- The Mandarin responds to Tony's threat by destroying Stark's home with helicopter gunships. Maya Hansen, who had come to warn Tony and Pepper. Tony was pulled into the ocean while his home demolished over him, just barely escaping. Pepper and Maya went into hiding after they survive the attack. (Iron Man 3)
- Tony then finds himself in rural Tennessee after his artificial intelligence J.A.R.V.I.S. followed a flight plan from Stark's investigation into the Mandarin. Stark's experimental armor lacks sufficient power to return to California, and the world believes him dead. (Iron Man 3)
- Teaming with young Harley Keener, Tony investigates the remains of a local explosion bearing the hallmarks of a Mandarin attack. He discovers the "bombings" were triggered by soldiers subjected to Extremis, which at this stage of development can cause certain subjects to explosively reject it. After veterans started exploding, their deaths were used to cover up Extremis' flaws by manufacturing a terrorist plot. Stark witnesses Extremis firsthand when Mandarin agents Ellen Brandt and Eric Savin attack him, Tony improvised and used his innovative skills and knowledge with different equipment and technology to outsmart them and seemingly escape, killing Brandt. (Iron Man 3)
- With Harley's help, Tony traces the Mandarin to Miami and infiltrates his headquarters using improvised weapons. Inside he discovers the Mandarin is actually a British actor, Trevor Slattery, who says that he is oblivious to the actions carried out in his name. The Mandarin is a creation of Killian, who appropriated Hansen's Extremis research as a cure for his own disability and expanded the program to include injured war veterans. After capturing Stark, Killian reveals he is the true Mandarin; he has kidnapped Pepper and subjected her to Extremis to gain Stark's aid in fixing Extremis' flaws and thereby saving Pepper. Killian kills Hansen when she has a change of heart about the plan. (Iron Man 3)
- Killian has also manipulated American intelligence agencies regarding the Mandarin's location, luring Iron Patriot into a trap to steal the armor. Stark escapes and reunites with Rhodes, discovering that Killian intends to attack President Ellis aboard Air Force One. Remotely controlling his Iron Man armor, Stark saves some surviving passengers and crew but cannot stop Killian from abducting Ellis. They trace Killian to an impounded damaged oil tanker where Killian intends to kill Ellis on live television. The vice president will become a puppet leader, following Killian's orders in exchange for Extremis to cure his daughter's disability. (Iron Man 3)
- On the platform, Tony goes to save Potts, and Rhodes saves the president. Stark summons the Iron Legion, controlled remotely by J.A.R.V.I.S. to provide air support. Rhodes secures the president and leads him to safety, while Stark discovers Potts has survived the Extremis procedure. However, before he can save her, a rig collapses around them and she falls to her apparent death. Stark confronts Killian and traps him in an Iron Man suit that self-destructs, but fails to kill him. Potts, whose Extremis powers allowed her to survive her fall, intervenes and kills Killian. (Iron Man 3)
- After the battle, Tony orders J.A.R.V.I.S. to remotely destroy each Iron Man suit as a sign of his intention to devote more time to Potts. The vice president and Slattery are arrested. (Iron Man 3)
- Tony removed Extremis from Pepper body. (Iron Man 3)
- Tony undergoes surgery to remove the shrapnel embedded near his heart. He pitches his obsolete chest arc reactor into the sea, musing he will always be Iron Man. (Iron Man 3)
- Tony Stark goes to speak to Bruce Banner about the Mandarin and Killian incident, but Banner falls asleep as Stark begins his story, stating he's not that type of doctor. (Iron Man 3)
- Ian Quinn discovers gravitonium. He kidnaps Dr. Franklin Hall, Hall then "allies" with Quinn to aid him with the gravitonium. In reality, Hall wants to sabotage the project. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "The Asset")
- Coulson's team goes to rescue Hall, Ian Quinn escapes. Coulson apparently kills Hall when he's fused with the gravitonium. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "The Asset")
- The gravitonium is taken by S.H.I.E.L.D. with Hall still inside, Hall moves his arms in an attempt to break out the gravitonium revealing that he's still alive. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "The Asset")
- Akela Amador's handler sent her on a number of jewelry heists, including one in Stockholm Sweden, totaling 30 million dollars. The complexity of these thefts put her back on Coulson's radar. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Eye-Spy")
- Phil Coulson's team was able to hijack the signal to Akela Amador's eye, which allowed Agent Grant Ward to carry out her mission without alerting her handler to the fact that she had been compromised. While this was happening, Coulson's science team, Agents Leo Fitz and Jemma Simmons, performed surgery on Amador, removing her bionic eye. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Eye-Spy")
- When Melinda May tracked down the location of Akela Amador's handler, Coulson confronted him. As soon as he did, the handler's own eye-piece activated its own failsafe, killing him instantly. In the end, Amador's handler was as much of victim as she was. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Eye-Spy")
- Finally freed from her unknown masters, Akela Amador was taken into S.H.I.E.L.D. custody. Coulson assured her that she would get a fair trial and that he would testify on her behalf. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Eye-Spy")
- Skye's teammate in Rising Tide, Miles Lydon hacks S.H.I.E.L.D. and sells info on super-powered beings to Raina, a member of The Centipide working with A.I.M. in order to stabilize Extremis. she kidnaps the magician Chan Ho Yin who can manipulate fire. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Girl In The Flower Dress")
- S.H.I.E.L.D. goes after Miles. He and Skye re-encounter each other and they make up, only to be discovered by S.H.I.E.L.D. Skye is arrested for treachery alongside Miles. who reveals what he did. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Girl In The Flower Dress")
- Chan Ho Yin is injected with Extremis, The Centipide tries to remove his powers and S.H.I.E.L.D. arrives to save him, but he turns against them, thinking they will do the same, killing a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and a doctor in the process. Chan is killed when the Extremis becomes unstable and explodes. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Girl In The Flower Dress")
- Coulson is angry with Skye for her treachery, but she explains why she joined the Rising Tide and became interested in S.H.I.E.L.D. in order to find the truth about her parents as S.H.I.E.L.D. censored a file about them, Coulson promises to help her out. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Girl In The Flower Dress")
- Sometime after the battle of New York, some firefighters takes one of the Chitauri helmets and they get infected with a virus that kills them which is contagious, S.H.I.E.L.D. takes custody of the helment, but Jemma is infected in the process. she and Fitz tries to find a cure, but when all hope seems lost Jemma tries to commit suicide by jumping out of Bus, but after a cure is made. Ward goes to save her and injects her with the cure (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "FZZT")
- Coulson's team brings the helmet to Agent Blake, who notices that Coulson acts different, but Coulson tells him to get used to it. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "FZZT")
- Fitz and Ward are sent to a Level 8 mission to Russia. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "The Hub")
- Coulson gets some info on Skye's past, which reveals that she was left behind to an orphanage, but he doesn't tell her why. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "The Hub")
- Coulson tries to get acess to the file about his "death", but he doesn't have the permission to do so. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "The Hub")
- The Asgardians prepare for fight the Marauders and protect the Nine Realms from them. (Thor: The Dark World Prelude)
- Erik Selvig begins to suffer mental issues after Loki took over his mind, he goes to Stonehenge completely naked and is taken by the police. (Thor: The Dark World)
- Odin sentences Loki to the dungeons after one final conversation with him. (Thor: The Dark World)
- Thor, Sif and the Warriors Three battle the Marauders in Vanaheim. After the battle is won, Thor tells Hogun to stay there with his people as the rest of them go back to Asgard. (Thor: The Dark World)
- Jane Foster, Darcy Lewis and Ian Boothby investigate the Convergence in London. (Thor: The Dark World)
- Jane Foster finds the Aether. (Thor: The Dark World)
- Thor takes Jane Foster to Asgard. (Thor: The Dark World)
- Malekith feels the call of the Aether and plants Algrim among the captured Marauders. Algrim becomes the last of the Kursed and breaks out of the holding cell. (Thor: The Dark World)
- Frigga is killed by Kurse. Thor burns half of Malekith's face with a lightning strike. Malekith and Kurse escape. (Thor: The Dark World)
- A funeral is held for the dead Asgardians including Frigga. (Thor: The Dark World)
- Heimdall, Sif, Volstagg and Fandral help Thor, Loki and Jane escape Asgard into Svartalfheim. (Thor: The Dark World)
- Loki pretends to betray Thor and Malekith absorbs the Aether. (Thor: The Dark World)
- Kurse is stabbed by Loki, stabs Loki in return and then is killed by being sucked through a Black Hole Grenade. Loki apparently dies. (Thor: The Dark World)
- Thor and Jane Foster find a portal to Earth. (Thor: The Dark World)
- Loki disguises himself as an Einherjar and returns to Asgard where he lies to Odin telling him that Loki is dead. (Thor: The Dark World)
- Darcy Lewis and Ian Boothby find Erik Selvig in a mental hospital and have him released. They meet up with Jane Foster and Thor. (Thor: The Dark World)
- Malekith and the Dark Elves begin to attack Earth in order to use the Convergence to plunge the universe back into darkness. Thor battles him, travelling through various portals to other realms including Jotunheim where the Frost Beast follows them through the portal back to Earth. (Thor: The Dark World)
- Malekith starts to release the Aether. Thor used Erik's devices to teleport Malekith back to Svartalfheim. Erik Selvig transports the Harrow back to Svartalfheim where it crushes and kills Malekith. (Thor: The Dark World)
- Thor returns to Asgard and tells Loki, disguised as Odin, that he does not want the throne. (Thor: The Dark World)
- Sif and Volstagg take the Aether to The Collector. (Thor: The Dark World)
- Thor returns to Midgard to be with Jane. The Frost Beast still remains in London. (Thor: The Dark World)
- Coulson's team goes to Greenwich to clean up in the aftermath of Malekith's defeat. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "The Well")
- Jakob Nystrom and Petra Larsen find one of the pieces of the Berserker Staff. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "The Well")
- Coulson's team goes to ask Elliot Randolph about the staff. Later, he finds a second piece of his staff, and his Asgardian status is revealed. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "The Well")
- The team finds the final part of the staff and defeats Jakob, Petra and their team. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "The Well")
- Tobias Ford, a man who is stuck between Earth and Hell, haunts his old friend Hannah Hutchins. He thinks that if Hannah forgives him, he will be out of Hell. When Coulson's team gets on the case, Hannah tells Tobias that only God can forgive him and Melinda May states that he will not forgive him for what he did and tells him to let go of Hannah, he does and is stuck in Hell permanently. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Repairs")
- Mike Peterson joins S.H.I.E.L.D. after Edison Po escapes prison. Po and Raina become interested in Peterson and Coulson. Skye finds out that Coulson won't tell her the truth about her parents. Raina kidnaps Ace Peterson in order to exchange him for Coulson. Coulson is taken away and Mike is apparently killed. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "The Bridge")
- Edison Po is killed. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "The Magical Place")
- Coulson's team try to find Coulson as he learns that he was captured in order to find out how he was resurrected in order to resurrect fallen Centipide soldiers, using a machine Coulson is able to remember bits of his Resurrection, but he's rescued before he can reveal to Raina how he returned. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "The Magical Place")
- Coulson meets with Dr. Streiten. Streiten confirmed that the process had been ordered by Director Fury himself and that Fury had brought Streiten in with the seventh procedure to restore Coulson. Streiten informed Coulson that the process to restore him had robbed him of his will to live and that they had implanted the false memory of Tahiti to help restore the man he had been. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "The Magical Place")
- Mike Peterson was recovered by Centipede agents, badly burned, missing his right leg, and implanted with a monitoring ocular implant similar to Akela Amador's Backscatter X-Ray Eye Implant. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "The Magical Place")
- Ian Quinn attempted to buy Donnie Gill's freezing device, and his request for a demonstration led to the formation of an icy 'superstorm' over the S.H.I.E.L.D. Academy. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Seeds")
- May and Coulson went to Mexico to find Richard Lumley in order to find more of Skye's past and about the murder of the woman who left her in the orphanage. Lumley warns them to stay away from Skye. Coulson later tells Skye about this. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Seeds")
- While testing the freezing device, Donnie's friend Seth is killed, Donnie is taken into custody by S.H.I.E.L.D. after obtaining ice powers. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Seeds")
- Coulson made a call to Quinn's personal phone to warned him against his malicious dealings. Quinn retaliates with a cryptic mention of "the Clairvoyant", revealing that he has had some form of dealings with the enigmatic figure. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Seeds")
- After the mission at the S.H.I.E.L.D. Academy, the team found a lead to the whereabouts of the Clairvoyant through Ian Quinn. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "T.R.A.C.K.S.")
- Tracking a mysterious package that Quinn acquired from Cybertek Technologies, the team went undercover and boarded the train transferring the package to Quinn's care. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "T.R.A.C.K.S.")
- The team was jeopardized by Luca Russo, and Cybertek sent operatives to neutralize them. In the ensuing chaos, the group was separated. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "T.R.A.C.K.S.")
- Leo and Skye arrived at Quinn's compound, where Skye proceeded inside alone and was shocked to find Michael Peterson, still alive but horribly scarred. Skye is shot by Quinn as Coulson's team arrives and arrests Quinn, while Mike escapes. Skye is put inside a Hyperbaric Chamber in order to keep her alive. (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. "T.R.A.C.K.S.")
- Captain America, Black Widow and Brock Rumlow went to a mission to retrieve a stolen Zodiac weapon from S.H.I.E.L.D. (Captain America: The Winter Soldier Infinite Comic")
- The Mandarin sends Jackson Norriss to capture Trevor Slattery, posing as a documentary filmmaker. ("All Hail the King")
In chronological order:
- Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
- Iron Man (2008)
- Iron Man 2 (2010)
- Marvel One-Shot: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor’s Hammer (2011)
- The Incredible Hulk (2008)
- Thor (2011)
- Marvel One-Shot: The Consultant (2011)
- The Avengers (2012)
- Marvel One-Shot: Item 47 (2012)
- Marvel One-Shot: Agent Carter (2013)
- Iron Man 3 (2013)
- Thor: The Dark World (2013)
- Marvel One-Shot: All Hail the King (2014)
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
- Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
- Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
- Ant-Man (2015)
In chronological order:
- Captain America: First Vengeance (2011)
- Captain America & Thor: Avengers (2011)
- Nick Fury: Spies Like Us (2008)
- The Incredible Hulk: The Fury Files (2008)
- Iron Man: Fast Friends (2008)
- Iron Man: I Am Iron Man! (2010)
- Iron Man: Security Measures (2008)
- Iron Man 2: Public Identity (2010)
- Iron Man 2: Fist of Iron (2010)
- Iron Man 2: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (2010)
- The Avengers Prelude: Fury's Big Week (2012)
- The Avengers: Black Widow Strikes (2012)
- The Avengers: The Avengers Initiative (2012)
- Thor: The Dark World Prelude (2013)
- Iron Man 3 Prelude (2013)
- Iron Man: The Coming of the Melter (2013)
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier Infinite Comic (2014)
- Captain America: Homecoming (2014)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Prelude (2014)
In chronological order:
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (2013-present)
In chronological order:
- Captain America: Super Soldier (2011)
- Iron Man (2008)
- Thor: God of Thunder (2011)
- The Incredible Hulk (2008)
- Iron Man 2 (2010)
- Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth (2012)
References to the broader Marvel Cinematic Universe
Captain America: The First Avenger
- Tønsberg, Norway is the same place where the war between the Asgardians and the Frost Giants took place in the beginning of Thor.
- Johann Schmidt references Odin's chamber moments after taking the Tesseract is Asgardian in origin.
- Howard Stark is the father of Tony Stark.
- The Stark Expo theme introduced in Iron Man 2 ("Make Way for Tomorrow Today") is heard after Howard Stark's presentation at the 1942 World's Fair.
- Stark presents an early version of the repulsor technology that his son would perfect in Iron Man.
- When Steve Rogers is injected with the Super Soldier Serum, the film cuts to a close up of his eyes opening wide, a shot better known in association with the transformation of the Hulk. The film The Incredible Hulk ties Bruce Banner's gamma ray research into trying to re-create the super soldier serum, (Banner's experiment went wrong, which resulted in Banner's first Hulk transformation) which was destroyed here.
- Consistent with the serum seen in The Incredible Hulk, it is blue in color and is activated by Vita-rays. The canister containing the serum in The Incredible Hulk was labeled with a Vita-ray radiation warning.
- Tony Stark had a Captain America shield prototype in his lab in the two Iron Man movies. Stark's father, Howard, is depicted here designing the shield and Captain America's armor. Obadiah Stane also mentions in Iron Man that Tony's father worked on the Manhattan Project, which ties into his World War II activities depicted here.
- When the Red Skull is seemingly destroyed by the Tesseract, he appears to be transported across space rather than destroyed, shooting into what seems to be Yggdrasil mentioned in Thor.
- The Asgardians, referred to as "gods", are mentioned.
Marvel One-Shot: Agent Carter
- The short uses scenes directly from Captain America: The First Avenger.
- Nick Fury makes an appearance after the credits, discussing the Avengers Initiative .
- When Tony was taking off his suit in the background, Captain America's shield can be seen. Howard Stark, Tony's father, designed the shield in Captain America: The First Avenger.
- Obadiah Stane mentions that Tony's father worked on the Manhattan Project, which ties into his World War II activities depicted in Captain America: The First Avenger.
- In the climatic fight scene, you can see the Roxxon Energy Corporation building behind Iron Monger when he shoots Iron Man with his back rocket.
Iron Man 2
- Natasha Romanoff appears as a member of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- As Nick Fury debriefs Tony near the end of the film, the television screen on the right shows a news report of a destructive aftermath on a university campus. This is the same news report of the Culver University battle caused by the Hulk that was featured midway in the film The Incredible Hulk, indicating that the last moments of Iron Man 2 is concurrent with the events of the later film.
- When Phil Coulson was looking around Tony's workshop he finds a familiar, incompleted shield in a crate. It's heavily hinted to be either Captain America's actual shield or a prototype of it. It was previously featured midway in Iron Man.
- In New Mexico, Phil Coulson finds Mjolnir, the magical hammer of Thor, in a crater.
- Nick Fury mentions problems in the southwest region, clearly referencing New Mexico which is where Mjolnir was lying.
- Tony Stark looks at a folder and has "Avengers Initiative" printed on it, again a reference to his upcoming participation with the Avengers.
- Wakanda is shown on a map.
The Incredible Hulk
- Nick Fury and Rick Jones names are seen in the intro.
- Stark Industries logo is also seen in the intro showing they created the Sonic Cannons used later and it is also on the Cyrosync container containing the Super Soldier Serum.
- The S.H.I.E.L.D. logo is seen in the intro, it's again seen when Bruce Banner is being tracked down in New York.
- General Ross talks about a program in World War II to create Super Soldiers with the Super Soldier Serum which is obviously referring to the creation of Captain America depicted in Captain America: The First Avenger.
- When General Ross first takes the Super Soldier Serum out of its Cyrosync container, the label on the container says it was developed by Dr. Reinstein, the alias of Abraham Erskine. The label also says the program was called Weapons Plus. The serum is blue, as it is in Captain America: The First Avenger, and the canister is labeled with a warning about Vita-rays, the radiation type used to activate the serum later in the film.
- When General Ross is sitting in a bar, Tony Stark appears and talks to him about The Avengers. The circumstances leading to Stark's arrival are revealed in Iron Man 2 and the Marvel One-Shot The Consultant from the Thor Blu-ray.
- Samuel Sterns gets some Bruce's blood in a cut in his forehead and his head began to bulge alluding to him becoming The Leader.
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer
- The Roxxon logo is shown.
- The prologue takes place in Tonsberg, Norway. It is believed that during this time the Asgardians gave or lost the Tesseract to the Earth. Tonsberg is shown early in Captain America: The First Avenger when Johann Schmidt aquires the cube.
- Mjolnir was shown in the post-credits sequence of Iron Man 2, a scene that appeared once again in Thor.
- Clark Gregg returns as S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Phil Coulson, who previously appeared in Iron Man and Iron Man 2 .
- Erik Selvig references Bruce Banner's gamma incident.
- Kevin Feige has confirmed that the "friend" Erik Selvig plans to email is Henry Pym.
- Clint Barton appears as an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Thor temporarily goes under the alias Donald Blake.
- When The Destroyer arrives on Earth, Jasper Sitwell asks "Is that one of Stark's?" to which Phil Coulson replies "I don't know... the guy never tells me anything".
- Thor makes it clear that S.H.I.E.L.D. can consider him an ally.
- Erik Selvig has a conversation with Nick Fury after the credits.
- Nick Fury shows Selvig a metal case containing the Cosmic Cube, which was recovered by Howard Stark in Captain America: The First Avenger.
- In Odin's Trophy Room there is the Casket of Ancient Winters, Infinity Gauntlet and Warlock's Eye.
- The Tesseract is one of the Infinity Stones.
Fury’s Big Week
- Project P.E.G.A.S.U.S. is created.
- Agent Coulson picks up atmospheric disturbances above Mexico.
- Fury’s team work on a lithium-based solution to Tony Stark’s palladium poisoning.
- Natasha Romanoff is engaged to follow both Tony Stark and Bruce Banner.
- Clint Barton and Phil Coulson retrieve The Destroyer and send it to Roswell where it is secured.
- Nick Fury meets with General Ross before the General catches Hulk, to dissuade him from continuing experiments with the Super-Soldier serum.
- Romanoff finds Samuel Sterns after his transformation into The Leader, shoots him in the knee then asks for S.H.I.E.L.D. to clean the scene.
- Phil Coulson asks S.H.I.E.L.D. scientists to dismantle the Destroyer and make it a human-size weapon.
- After Steve Rogers is found in Antarctica, Fury leads Barton to Project P.E.G.A.S.U.S. so he can keep an eye on Dr. Erik Selvig.
- The short uses scenes directly from The Incredible Hulk.
- Howard Stark found the Tesseract at the end of Captain America: The First Avenger, studied it as seen in his notebook in Iron Man 2 and it was in S.H.I.E.L.D's custody ever since as seen at the end of Thor.
- Erik Selvig is shown to be working on the cosmic cube, trying to find out how to harness its power. This shows that it is a continuation from Thor.
- In the beginning of the film, Selvig made mention to Fury that the Tesseract was giving off low levels of gamma radiation, nothing harmful to hurt humans. However, Fury reminds him that even low levels of gamma radiation can be harmful, clearly reminding him of what happened to Bruce Banner and how he became the Hulk.
- Steve Rogers has a number of flashbacks to his time in the war as he punches a boxing bag, many of these are events that occurred in Captain America: The First Avenger. His montage also includes a glimpse of his half-frozen body and a S.H.I.E.L.D. scientist exclaiming that he's alive, a moment that was not seen in the earlier film.
- Steve Rogers discovered that S.H.I.E.L.D. phase 2's contingency plan is to use the Cosmic Cube's energy to make weapons using Arnim Zola's Hydra energy weapons as seen in Captain America: The First Avenger as a reference point to create their own arsenal of weaponry.
- When Phil Coulson tries to contact Tony Stark in Stark Tower, Stark claims that "This is the Life Model Decoy of Tony Stark." This is a reference to Life Model Decoys (LMDs) that appear in the comics as duplicates for characters.
- Tony Stark reminds Phil Coulson that he was "unsuitable" for the Avengers Initiative, as stated in Nick Fury's evaluation file on Tony at the end of Iron Man 2. Instead, he remains a consultant.
- When Thor returns to Earth, Loki asks him how much dark energy Odin had to use to send him there, confirming that the Bifrost is still destroyed.
- Phil Coulson refers to The Destroyer 's attack on New Mexico depicted in Thor and reveals that S.H.I.E.L.D. is developing weapons made from parts of it.
- Bruce Banner refers to his fight with Abomination in The Incredible Hulk when Stark offers a visit to Stark Tower, saying "Thanks, but last time I was in New York, I kind of broke... Harlem."
- Bruce Banner is said to have avoided a Hulk incident for over a year, meaning that the events of The Avengers take place over a year after The Incredible Hulk. During this time, he has spent his time travelling Asia to help the sickly.
- A mid credits scene reveals that Loki's ally and the Other's master was Thanos, setting him up as the villain in later films.
- Agent Coulson tells Thor that his love interest Jane Foster has been hidden from Loki by S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Nick Fury tells Bruce Banner he has been protecting him from other forces searching for him, meaning General Ross.
- Pepper Potts' friendship with Phil Coulson echoes (much to Stark's dismay) the extended opening sequence of Iron Man 2 as seen on the Blu-ray.
- Bruce Banner refers to the alternate opening sequence of The Incredible Hulk where Bruce tried to commit suicide. In the Wishbone lab, Banner tells the rest of the team "I got low. I didn't see an end to it, so I put a bullet in my mouth and the "Other Guy" spat it out."
- Captain America references either Adolf Hitler or Johann Schmidt when he comes face to face with Loki in Stuttgart, Germany.
- The song Tony Stark plays from the Quinjet when he makes his grand entrance in Captain America and Loki's fight, Shoot to Thrill by Australian rock band AC/DC,was also played during Tony's arrival at the Stark Expo at the beginning of Iron Man 2.
- When Rogers talks to Stark about Coulson and why he did what he did, Rogers mentions "sometimes there's no way out." Stark replies he has heard that before, refering back to Yinsen, who saved his life in Iron Man. This makes it the first time in any way that Yinsen is somewhat mentioned since Iron Man.
- Jasper Sitwell of S.H.I.E.L.D. appears.
- A weapon left by the Chitauri from The Avengers is the titular Item 47.
- A new S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent is introduced Agent Blake. Benny and Claire are also recruited into S.H.I.E.L.D.
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Phil Coulson appears and despite allegedly dying in The Avengers is alive. His apparent death at the hands of Loki is also acknowledged.
- It is revealed that Coulson believes Nick Fury faked his death to bring the Avengers together, however, the exact method of his resurrection may have more sinister origins due to an exchange between Maria Hill and Dr. Streiten.
- Maria Hill appears and oversees Coulson's creation of a team.
- Agent Ward has the best espionage scores since Agent Romanoff aka Black Widow.
- Nick Fury is mentioned.
- The Battle of New York is mentioned.
- The Avengers are mentioned.
- Tony Stark, Iron Man and the Stark Tower are mentioned.
- Thor Odinson is mentioned and seen in recycled footage.
- The Hulk is mentioned and seen in recycled footage.
- Captain America is mentioned and seen in recycled footage.
- There are toys of Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Captain America, Black Widow and Hawkeye.
- The Chitauri are mentioned and seen in recycled footage.
- Extremis appears and is being harnessed in a new way.
- Project Puente Antiguo (New Mexico) and Project P.E.G.A.S.U.S. are mentioned.
- Gamma Radiation and the Super Soldier Serum are mentioned.
- The S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier is mentioned.
- Abraham Erskine is mentioned.
- Abomination is seen in recycled footage.
- It seems that Lola is a perfected version of the flying car Howard Stark effortlessly tried to present at the World Exposition of Tomorrow in Captain America: The First Avenger.
- Nick Fury makes an appearance.
- Mjölnir is mentioned and was the last 0-8-4 before this object.
- Captain America is mentioned.
- HYDRA, WWII and the Tesseract are mentioned.
- Battle of New York is mentioned.
- Loki is mentioned as the Asgardian.
- The Chitauri Scepter is mentioned.
- Tony Stark is mentioned.
- The Chitauri are mentioned as aliens.
- Franklin Hall is fused with gravitonium, hinting at his transformation into Graviton.
- The Avengers are mentioned.
- Coulson's "death" is mentioned.
- Nick Fury is mentioned.
- The Battle of New York is mentioned.
"Girl In The Flower Dress"
- Coulson's "death" is mentioned.
- A Chitauri helmet appears.
- The Battle of New York is mentioned.
- Captain America is mentioned.
- Agent Blake makes an appearance.
- Iron Man is mentioned.
- Agent Sitwell appears.
- Triskelion is mentioned.
- Clint Barton and Natasha Romanoff are mentioned.
- Nick Fury is mentioned.
- Victoria Hand is introduced.
- Asgard is mentioned and seen in recycled footage.
- Destroyer is seen in recycled footage.
- Thor is mentioned and seen in recycled footage.
- Harrow is seen in recycled footage.
- The Hulk is mentioned.
- The Chitauri are mentioned.
- An Asgardian appears.
- Coulson's "death" is mentioned.
- The Bus interrogation room is revealed to be made from Vibranium amongst other materials.
- Captain America is mentioned.
- Thor Odinson is mentioned.
- Avengers are mentioned.
- Toys of Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America and Hawkeye are seen.
- Coulson's death is mentioned.
- Michael Peterson returns.
- Raina returns.
- Edison Po returns.
- Akela Amador and the technology she had implanted in her eye are mentioned.
- Centipede, which uses Extremis, appears.
"The Magical Place"
- Coulson's "death" is mentioned.
- A Chitauri metal scrap appears.
- Centipede, which uses Extremis, appears.
- The device The Clairvoyant used to kill Edison Po is similar to the one Obadiah Stane used on Raza in Iron Man.
- Nick Fury appears in a recycled footage, while Maria Hill and Jasper Sitwell are mentioned.
- The Battle of New York is indirectly mentioned.
- HYDRA is mentioned.
- SSR is mentioned.
- Bucky Barnes is mentioned.
- Nick Fury is mentioned.
- A.I.M. is mentioned.
- Asgard is mentioned.
- Emil Blonsky is mentioned.
Iron Man 3
- Tony Stark built 35 new armors since the Chitauri Invasion of New York in The Avengers.
- Scenes of the invasion from The Avengers are seen in Tony's nightmares.
- Ho Yinsen appears in a flashback to 1999.
- A.I.M. is established.
- Extremis is similar to the Super Soldier Serum, giving its patients superhuman strength.
- The Chitauri are referred to multiple times as "aliens".
- S.H.I.E.L.D. is mentioned.
- Thor Odinson is mentioned by Killian when speaking to Tony, stating "Ever since that big dude with the hammer fell out of the sky, subtlety's kinda had it's day."
- The Avengers are referenced. Happy Hogan mentions them as the "Super Friends".
- Thomas Richards was an accountant for the Roxxon Corporation.
- The Mandarin has a tattoo of Captain America's shield on his neck.
- The government paint the War Machine Mark II with the color-scheme based on Captain America's uniform dubbing it the Iron Patriot.
- The post-credits scene reveals the entire movie was Stark recounting the events to Bruce Banner, who had fallen asleep at the beginning of the story.
Thor: The Dark World
- Jane slaps Loki stating "That was for New York!", referring to the Chitauri that attacked New York in The Avengers.
- Jane mentions The Avengers.
- Erik is suffering mental anguish from the events of The Avengers. News reports claim that Selvig was responsible for the Chitauri invasion.
- The Tesseract is mentioned.
- Darcy attempts to contact S.H.I.E.L.D. while awaiting Jane's return. She also states how S.H.I.E.L.D. is likely to appear and conceal the strange occurrences.
- Loki has been imprisoned in Asgard for his crimes depicted in Thor and The Avengers.
- Loki briefly masquerades as Steve Rogers while talking to Thor.
- Taneleer Tivan/The Collector is approached by Sif and Volstagg with the Aether, one of the six Infinity Stones, entrusting him with its care.
All Hail the King
- Trevor Slattery was taken away by the authorities at the end of Iron Man 3.
- Seagate Prison and Jackson Norriss are introduced.
|Marvel Cinematic Universe|
|Phase 1||Iron Man | The Incredible Hulk | Iron Man 2 | Thor | Captain America: The First Avenger | The Avengers|
|Phase 2|| Iron Man 3 | Thor: The Dark World | Captain America: The Winter Soldier | Guardians of the Galaxy|
Avengers: Age of Ultron
|One-Shots|| The Consultant | A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor’s Hammer | Item 47 | Agent Carter |
All Hail the King
|TV Shows||Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.|