|Appeared in||The Avengers|
Maria Hill is an espionage agent working for S.H.I.E.L.D.
The high-ranking S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Maria Hill enjoys a well-deserved reputation as tough-minded and by the book. Her clearheaded pragmatism is a valued source of reason during the critical discourse surrounding the Avengers Initiative.
Maria Hill operates by an almost by-the-book mentality, which results in her at times question some of the choices Fury makes, particularly around the Avengers. However, she does respect and trust most of the decisions he makes such as when the Council that it was best to destroy New York with a tactical nuclear missile, even she should concern about it and didn't approve of it.
As with all S.H.I.E.L.D. operatives, she is an talented commander, an expert marksman and capable hand-to-hand combatant. However, she is the second most powerful figure of S.H.I.E.L.D. behind Fury.
Friends and Allies
- Steve Rogers/Captain America
- Tony Stark/Iron Man
- Bruce Banner/Hulk
- Clint Barton/Hawkeye
- Nick Fury
- Black Widow
- Phil Coulson
Behind the scenes
- Before Cobie Smulders was cast as Agent Hill, Morena Baccarin, Jessica Lucas and Mary Elizabeth Winstead screen tested for the part.
- Smulders cuts her hair Bob Short for the film.
- Smulders was going to work with Joss Whedon in Wonder Woman as the title character.
- Prior to SHIELD being disbanded in the comics, Maria Hill served as the head of SHIELD before Tony Stark took over due to Nick Fury having to go into hiding regarding his illegal operation of sending in a team of superheroes (consisting of: Spider-Man, Daredevil, Wolverine, Captain America, Luke Cage, and Black Widow) on an unapproved mission in Lavteria during Marvel's Secret War Storyline (unrelated to the similarly named Secret Wars that was released several decades earlier).
- Maria Hill was also notably the head of the main Avengers team in the comics until Steve Rogers took command following his return to the role of Captain America.