|Appeared in|| The Avengers|
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Maria Hill was an espionage agent formerly working for S.H.I.E.L.D., where she was Nick Fury's second in command. She was born on April 4, 1982. Following the destruction of S.H.I.E.L.D., Hill was employed by Stark Industries as part of Tony Stark's campaign to privatize global security.
The high-ranking S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Maria Hill enjoys a well-deserved reputation as tough-minded and by the book. Her clear-headed pragmatism is a valued source of reason during the critical discourse surrounding the Avengers Initiative.
- "The battle of New York was the end of the world, this is the new world"
- ―Maria Hill[src]
Sometime after the Battle of New York, Maria Hill brought Agent Grant Ward to one of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s secret bases. She talked with Ward about the presence of beings with supernatural powers, including the Hulk, Captain America, and Thor before Agent Coulson walked in. During a conversation with a one of S.H.I.E.L.D. doctors, she told him that Coulson must never know the truth about his survival.
Agent Maria Hill proved her worth and her loyalty to both S.H.I.E.L.D. and Nick Fury during the events in New York with The Avengers. When she is called to come to Fury’s aid, Hill is drawn into the wide-ranging conspiracy unfolding in Washington, D.C. that has completely entangled both him and Steve Rogers.
After the battle, Agent Hill went to work for Stark Industries.
To be added
To be added
Maria Hill operates by an almost by-the-book mentality, which results in her at times question some of the choices Fury makes, particularly around the Avengers. However, she does respect and trust most of the decisions he makes such as when the Council thinks that it was best to destroy New York with a tactical nuclear missile, even she showed concern about it and didn't approve of it.
As with all S.H.I.E.L.D. operatives, she is a talented commander, an expert marksman and capable hand-to-hand combatant. However, she was the second most powerful figure of S.H.I.E.L.D. behind Fury.
Friends and Allies
- Steve Rogers/Captain America
- Tony Stark/Iron Man
- Bruce Banner/Hulk
- Clint Barton/Hawkeye
- Nick Fury
- Black Widow
- Phil Coulson
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (3 films)
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (1 TV Series)
Behind the scenes
- Before Cobie Smulders was cast as Agent Hill, Morena Baccarin, Jessica Lucas and Mary Elizabeth Winstead screen tested for the part.
- Smulders cut her hair Bob Short for The Avengers.
- Smulders was going to work with Joss Whedon in Wonder Woman as the title character.
- Prior to SHIELD being disbanded in the comics, Maria Hill served as the head of SHIELD before Tony Stark took over due to Nick Fury having to go into hiding regarding his illegal operation of sending in a team of superheroes (consisting of: Spider-Man, Daredevil, Wolverine, Captain America, Luke Cage, and Black Widow) on an unapproved mission in Latveria during Marvel's Secret War Storyline (unrelated to the similarly named Secret Wars that was released several decades earlier).
- Maria Hill was also notably the head of the main Avengers team in the comics until Steve Rogers took command following his return to the role of Captain America.