Read on only if you don't mind reading spoilers for the film.
|Appeared in|| The Avengers|
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Avengers: Infinity War
Maria Hill is a former espionage agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., who was Nick Fury's second-in-command. She was born on April 4, 1982. Following the destruction of S.H.I.E.L.D., Maria was employed by Stark Industries as part of Tony Stark's campaign to privatize global security.
The high-ranking S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Maria Hill was present at S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Project: P.E.G.A.S.U.S. research facility when power spikes from the Tesseract, deep within the facility, prompted an evacuation, but became puzzled by Clint Barton emerging from the site with a stranger she didn't know. Radioed warnings to stop Barton had her diving for cover when he overheard and opened fire. This prompted a gun fight and a chase, but she proved unable to stop Barton from making his escape.
Following the Project Pegasus incident, Hill took up her post on the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier, carrying out executive officer duties on the bridge. It was here that she was thrown into combat once again when Barton, under hypnotic control, lead a daring commando assault on the carrier. She narrowly escaped serious injury when a live grenade detonating near her heralded the attackers reaching the bridge, and opened fire on the attackers in reply. After surviving the bridge attack, Hill proceeded to help coordinate further operations on the carrier, but there was little more that she could do with a crippled ship. She informed Nick Fury that a pilot went rogue and was going to bomb New York City. She last appeared on the Helicarrier with Nick Fury, agreeing that the Avengers would come back when they need to.
- "The battle of New York was the end of the world, this is the new world"
- ―Maria Hill[src]
- "Any attempt on the director's life had to look successful."
- ―Maria Hill[src]
Maria then took Rogers, Romanoff and Wilson to a secret location where the survival of Nick Fury was revealed to them. After being critically injured by the Winter Soldier following the discovery that S.H.I.E.L.D. had been infiltrated by HYDRA, Fury had successfully faked his death by using a drug which greatly reduced his pulse, as it was easier for him to operate under the radar, as he could no longer be targeted if he was allegedly dead. Fury and Maria revealed Steve a way to thwart HYDRA's plan to use S.H.I.E.L.D.'s three new heavily-armored Insight helicarriers to impose their new world order, which involved replacing one chip in each one of the helicarriers to allow their systems to be overridden.
Rogers and Wilson then infiltrated the Triskelion in order to access the Insight helicarriers. Following the replacement of the chips, Hill was allowed to override the helicarriers' systems and reprogram them to destroy each other. With S.H.I.E.L.D. in ruins and the secrets of both HYDRA and S.H.I.E.L.D. were unleashed to the world by Romanoff, Hill applied for a job at Stark Industries.
- "SHIELD implodes, and everyone wants answers. The CIA, NSA, NRO them I can handle. But Congress? Congress is like kindergarten. "Where is this Fridge?" "What was in there?" "Who or what is a man-thing?" I swear I need a cocktail and a lobotomy."
- ―Maria Hill to Pepper Potts [src]
Maria later led Colonel Glenn Talbot to Providence, where she attempted to convince Coulson to try to make a deal with the government. But upon being informed that his team member Grant Ward was a HYDRA double agent and was holding Skye captive, she helped Coulson and his team escape Talbot. They tracked down Ward on the stolen Bus, keeping Ward distracted while Coulson infiltrated the plane to rescue Skye. After safely hiding at a motel, Maria reminded Coulson that once he was done with Garrett, was done being an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. and his team must go their separate ways. However, Coulson didn't believe it to be fair for his team to either cut a deal with the government or work in the corporate sector. Before leaving, she reminded Coulson that he could always get a job at Stark Industries. Coulson was about to ask that she pass along his regards to Stark, but a glance from Hill reminded him that Stark still thought he was dead.
Coulson's team's successful rescue mission from HYDRA's Arctic base, Coulson called Hill to confirm that despite difficulties from Robert Gonzales, he had achieved his secret secondary objective, which was obtaining the location of the Chitauri Scepter the weapon that killed him. He then told Hill to implement the Theta Protocol by sending in The Avengers after the sceptre.
To be added
- "All set up, Boss."
- ―Maria Hill[src]
To be added
Maria operates by an almost by-the-book mentality, which results in her at times question some of the choices Fury makes, particularly around the Avengers. However, she does respect and trust most of the decisions he makes such as when the Council thinks that it was best to destroy New York with a tactical nuclear missile, even she showed concern about it and didn't approve of it.
As with all S.H.I.E.L.D. operatives, she is a talented commander, an expert marksman and capable hand-to-hand combatant. However, she was the second most powerful figure of S.H.I.E.L.D. behind Fury.
- Avengers - Allies.
- Pepper Potts - Ally.
- Glenn Talbot - Unwilling ally.
- Loki Laufeyson - Enemy.
- Chitauri - Enemies.
- Hydra - Enemies.
- Ultron - Enemy.
- Ultron Sentries - Enemies.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (4 films)
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (1 TV Series)
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (1 comics)
Behind the scenes
- Before Cobie Smulders was cast as Agent Hill, Morena Baccarin, Jessica Lucas and Mary Elizabeth Winstead screen tested for the part.
- Smulders cut her hair Bob Short for The Avengers.
- Smulders was going to work with Joss Whedon in Wonder Woman as the title character.
- Prior to SHIELD being disbanded in the comics, Maria Hill served as the head of SHIELD before Tony Stark took over due to Nick Fury having to go into hiding regarding his illegal operation of sending in a team of superheroes (consisting of: Spider-Man, Daredevil, Wolverine, Captain America, Luke Cage, and Black Widow) on an unapproved mission in Latveria during Marvel's Secret War Storyline (unrelated to the similarly named Secret Wars that was released several decades earlier).
- Maria Hill was also notably the head of the main Avengers team in the comics until Steve Rogers took command following his return to the role of Captain America.