Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Appeared in||X-Men: First Class|
Janos Quested is a mutant with the ability to spin his body at an incredibly fast rate to create whirlwinds, or just directly make them from his hands.
Never far from the side of his leader, Sebastian Shaw, Riptide creates powerful whirlwinds that can demolish buildings - and challenge even the most powerful mutants. He is responsible for demolishing the first version of Cerebro. During the final battle, Riptide was knocked out by Magneto with a chunk of the ship. On the aftermath of the battle of the X-Men against Shaw, he is one of the mutants who joined Magneto's first group of The Brotherhood of Mutants.
Powers and abilities
Janos Quested is a powerful but egocentric mutant. He can generate powerful whirlwinds from his hands, with varying degrees, going from tossing a human to a wall, to pushing a submarine and the X-Jet to a nearby island. He can also use the air to make it spin himself eventually becoming a human vortex.
- Sebastian Shaw - Former leader.
- Magneto - Leader.
- Hellfire Club - Former teammates.
- The Brotherhood of Mutants - Teammates.
- The X-Men - Enemies.
Behind the scenes
- The character of Quested is silent.
- González's part was originally announced as being named "Tornado", before Álvaro Sánchez corrected the announcement, officially naming the character Riptide.
- In the comics, Riptide is a villainous character who works for Mr. Sinister’s Marauders. His powers allow him to spin incredibly fast; differently from the movie, his spinning abilities allow him to generate calcium deposits in the form of sharp objects for which he uses his speed to launch at enemies as spikes or shuriken-type projectiles.
- Riptide is the only character in the movie that never speaks.
- A character with similar powers appears as one of Stryker's captive mutants on X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
- He is never referred to by his real name, Janos Quested.
- Of the mutants from First Class to vanish in Days of Future Past, Riptide is the only one whose name was not mentioned by Magneto when listing names of mutants who were killed. This is likely because Riptide was a more minor character than the other four. It is possible Riptide was among those experimented on and killed by Trask.
- The Bent Bullet lists contains an article claiming that Azazel and "Tempest" were killed in 1963, during an ambush with the US government's Project WideAwake. While in the comics Tempest is a codename used by Angel Salvadore, given she only goes by her first name in the movies, the site could be providing a mislabeled reference to Riptide.