Read on only if you don't mind reading spoilers for the film.
|Janet van Dyne|
|Alias(es)|| Janet Pym|
|Appeared in|| Ant-Man|
Ant-Man and the Wasp
|Actor|| Michelle Pfeiffer|
Janet van Dyne persuaded her husband, Hank Pym, to let her go on his Ant-Man missions with him as his partner. She was given a suit and became known as "The Wasp". During a mission in 1987, Ant-Man and Wasp needed to disable a Soviet missile but Hank couldn't get inside the missile because the space was too small. Janet didn't hesitate and removed her regulator, shrinking to subatomic size so she could fit through the gap and successfully disarmed the missile. However, without her regulator she was unable to regrow to normal size and was lost in the Quantum Realm. Hank told his daughter that her mother died in a plane crash until twenty-five years later, in 2015, when he finally told her the truth. When Scott manage to escape the Quantum Realm, by rewiring the suit's regulator with an enlarging Pym discs, it is now possible if Janet is still alive somewhere within the Quantum Realm and can be saved.
To be added
In Ant-Man, according to Hank Pym, Janet is a selfless individual who would not hesitate to give her life to save millions; as proven when she used her regulator to shrink between the molecules to disable a Soviet missile, getting trapped in the Quantum Realm as a result.
Powers and Abilities
- Wasp suit: Via her Wasp suit; Janet possesses superhuman physical attributes, size manipulation and flight.
- Wasp suit: Allowed Janet to shrink in size.
- Howard Stark - Former S.H.I.E.L.D. superior; deceased.
- Hank Pym - Husband.
- Hope van Dyne - Daughter.
- Scott Lang - Friend and ally.
- Thanos - Killer.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (3 films)
- In the comics, Janet van Dyne was the original incarnation of Wasp and a founding member of the Avengers, and the template for Ultron to create Jocasta.
Behind the scenes
- Joss Whedon intended to use Wasp in The Avengers as one of the female leads when Scarlett Johansson's involvement was still unconfirmed. However, plans to use both Henry Pym and Janet van Dyne were ultimately scrapped.
- Evangeline Lilly had Michelle Pfeiffer on her wish list to played Janet van Dyne while Michael Douglas had expressed the desire to have his wife Catherine Zeta-Jones play Janet van Dyne.