The Howling Commandos is a World War II military commando unit led by Captain America.
The men that formed the Howling Commandos were originally a prisoners of war that were held captive by HYDRA. They were liberated by Captain America on his first mission and selected by him to become a task force for the Strategic Scientific Reserve; that they would be recruited into a special elite squad under his command. Together they destroyed many HYDRA bases and kidnapped HYDRA's top scientist Arnim Zola. Then they rescued Captain America from the Red Skull and helped him to end HYDRA.
To be added
Barnes, along with the rest of the Howling Commandos; were alluded to when Rogers states he knew men with none of Tony Stark's privelage that were ten times his worth. While working out in the gym in the present, Steve Rogers thinks back to his war adventures in which footage of Dugan could be seen. In a deleted scene Steve can be seen viewing files on Morita and Falsworth which both label "deceased".
The team was mentioned in the narration at the Smithsonian exhibit dedicated to Captain America's War World II exploits with various memorabilia, a mural featuring Cap and the Commandos and a display set of mannequins with their uniforms exhibited.
Agent Antoine Triplett is mentioned as being the grandson of one of the Howling Commandos presumably Gabriel Jones, supplying Agent Coulson's team with a suitcase full of gadgets from his grandfather.
- Captain America (leader)
- Bucky Barnes
- Dum Dum Dugan
- Jim Morita
- Montgomery Falsworth
- Gabriel Jones
- Jacques Dernier
Behind the scenes
To be added
- In the comics, the original Howling Commandos were an US army rangers squad under the comand of Sgt. Nick Fury and Capt. Sam Sawyer. They fought with Captain America during the WWII and their main antagonist was the Nazi commander Wolfgang von Strucker. In the film the only original commandos are Cpl. Dum Dum Dugan and Pvt. Gabriel Jones.
- The team members were hand picked by Captain America from the group of soldiers he rescued from HYDRA to become a special unit the Howling Commandos.
- As a Lieutenant, James Falsworth would be second in command; over Bucky whose rank was only that of Sergeant.
- In Captain America: Super Soldier, they are mistakenly identified as the Invaders. In the comics; the Invaders were a team of superheroes in World War II consisting of Captain America, Bucky, the Human Torch (Jim Hammond), Namor the Submariner, Spitfire, and Union Jack.
- In the comics, the Commandos were lead by Nick Fury, and not officially assigned under Steve Rogers command (they did team up on occasion).
- Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes carries over the roster of the team and their allegiance towards Captain America; adding Nick Fury's father Jack and James Howlett (the future Wolverine) as members.
- One of the Howling Commandos is the grandfather of Antoine Triplett.