|Appeared in||Captain America: Civil War|
- "When S.H.I.E.L.D. fell, Black Widow released HYDRA files to the public, millions of pages, much of it incripted. Not easy to decipher, but I have experience and patience. A man can do anything if he has those."
- ―Helmut Zemo[src]
Colonel Helmut Zemo is a Sokovian soldier who lost his family during Ultron's attack upon Sokovia.
Zemo was a man who lost his family during Ultron's attack in Sokovia. He wants revenge on the Avengers by making them go to war with each other.
Although Zemo was a member of a death squad of the Sokovian Armed Forces, he was a good-hearted individual, as he loved his family very much, however, after his entire family was indirectly killed in the battle between the Avengers and Ultron, despite the fact that Ultron was responsible for his family's death, he blamed the Avengers just as much as the former, Zemo's anger and hatred towards the Avengers, consumed him to the point where he became vengeful, ruthless and slightly unstable.
However, despite his relentless attempts at trying to destroy the Avengers, Zemo is ultimately not without a conscience, he tries to use more peaceful means to get what he wants, as he first tried to interrogate a HYDRA officer, the location of the other Winter Soldiers (to kill them as they were a threat to the entire world and to play security video from 1991, which revealed Bucky as the assassin who murdered Tony's parents) if Zemo doesn't get what he needs he would resort to more violent means, although he doesn't enjoy using said means.
Zemo also sincerely apologized to T'Challa for accidentally killing his father T'Chaka, this shows that he has guilt, shame and remorse for his actions, ultimately Zemo's goal was to never kill the Avengers, as he stated to T'Challa that more powerful individuals than himself have tried and failed, as his goal was to have the Avengers disbanded, which he ultimately succeeded at; he knew the moment that he revealed to Tony Stark that Bucky Barnes was responsible for his parents death, Tony would tried to kill him (regardless of the fact that he was under the influence of HYDRA at the time and was not in control of his actions) as he was aware of the latter's arrogance and massive ego, as he use it against him, he also (correctly) knew that Steve Rogers, who is a far more moral, just and honorable individual then Tony, would not allow him to kill an innocent man; as this attempt on Bucky's life, not only ended their friendship, but the Avengers as well.
After Zemo avenged his family's death, having little else to live for, he attempts to commit suicide, only to be stopped by T'Challa, he also kept a voice message of his late wife on his phone as one of the last connections from his former life that he held onto, which he often played over. Yet after he was content with his revenge and was about to commit suicide, he deleted the message.
- Unnamed father; deceased.
- Unnamed wife; deceased.
- Unnamed son; deceased.
- Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier - Pawn and enemy.
- T'Challa/Black Panther - Enemy.
- Everett Ross - Enemy.
- Vasily Karpov - Victim.
- T'Chaka - Accidental victim.
- Theo Broussard - Victim.
- Winter Soldier Programme - Victims.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (1 film)
Behind the scenes
To be added
- In the comics, Baron Helmut Zemo is a German nobleman in a long line of Zemo's stretching far back in history.
- In the comics, Zemo is traditionally seen wearing an iconic purple mask.
- In the comics, James Barnes is assumed dead after pursuing the first Baron Heinrich Zemo as opposed to Arnim Zola. Much like the film; Heinrich's son Helmet Zemo later outs Barnes as the Winter Soldier to the press, sparking debate over whether Barnes is accountable for his actions under his brainwashing or if he was an unwilling victim/patsy.