- This article is about the The Amazing Spider-Man character. For the character from the Raimi series, see Gwen Stacy (Raimi series).
|Appeared in|| The Amazing Spider-Man|
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
- "It is easy to feel hopeful on a beautiful day like today, but there will be dark days ahead of us too. There will be days when you feel all alone, and that's when hope is needed most. No matter how bad it gets, or how lost you feel, you must promise me, that you will hold on to hope! Keep it alive. We have to be greater than what we suffer, My wish for you is to become hope, People need that. And even if we fail, what better way is there to live. As we look around here today, as we look at all of the people who helped make us who we are. I know it feels like we're saying 'goodbye', but we'll carry a piece of each other into everything that we do next, to remind us of who we are and if we were meant to be, I had a great 4 years with you. I'll miss you all very much."
- ―Gwen Stacy[src]
Gwen Stacy was a classmate and the girlfriend of Peter Parker. She was the daughter of the late Police Captain George Stacy. She died after being dropped by Green Goblin and unsuccessfully caught by Spider-Man.
Gwen Stacy once stopped high school bully Flash Thompson from beating up Peter Parker just because he wouldn't take a picture of Gordon getting bullied. Later, after various flirtatious encounters, Peter asked Gwen out.
When the Lizard planned to use reptilian DNA to turn the entirety of New York into humanoid lizards, Gwen helped Peter stop his plan by firstly, clearing out Oscorp when Lizard was on his way to get the serum he had made and then making a cure for the serum. Gwen hid in a small vent to prepare for the Lizard's arrival.
When the beast arrived, it sensed Gwen's presence and started searching for her. After finding her, Gwen jumped and, out of reaction, pulled out a small blowtorch and fired at the Lizard. He left, leaving Gwen unharmed, having already retrieved what he needed and left.
Soon, the Lizard took the life of Gwen's father, Captain George Stacy, whose dying wish to Peter was that the two remain apart for her own protection.
Gwen later confronted Peter about her father's wish for them to be apart, but Peter was unresponsive to everything she had to say. Despite this, Peter still chose to talk to Gwen claiming the best promises are the ones that are the hardest to keep.
A couple of months after the Lizard attacked the city Peter called Gwen remembering he promised he would study with her. Calling her Peter told Gwen about his job with the Daily Bugle. Gwen told him to change his costume to something more expressive. After Peter had stopped some criminals from stealing some technology he told her he was going to need that new suit and the two decided to work together to make one.
- "You're Spider-Man and I love that. But I love Peter Parker more."
- ―Gwen Stacy[src]
While Spider-Man was in pursuit of Russian gangsters, Gwen called him and told him that he was late. Gwen, as Valedictorian, made a speech to her fellow class-mates and their families. Afterwards, Peter met Gwen at their high school graduation ceremony where the two shared a kiss. Gwen and Peter talked and she invited him to dinner before she was called by her mother for a family photo. Later in the evening, Peter told Gwen about the visions he had been having and insisted that he needed to keep his promise to her father which as a result, Gwen broke up with Peter.
Gwen, while at work at Oscorp, met Max Dillion in an elevator and found out it was his birthday and that he was obsessed with Spider-Man. Peter later met Gwen in attempt to maintain a friendship and the couple established some 'ground rules'. Gwen told Peter that an opportunity for a scholarship at Oxford meant that she had to move to England. Before they could discuss it properly, Max accidentally shut off the power to Times Square whilst looking for electricity to charge himself. As Electro revealed himself as Max, Gwen recognized him and later tried to find his file at Oscorp, but the file had been erased. Gwen was chased by security for trying to find Max's file and ran into Peter who had just met up with Harry. As Gwen went to the elevator, Peter distracted the security guards and Gwen met Harry who told her that Peter was always complicated, but that is why he needed her.
Peter received a voicemail from Gwen, telling him that she got into Oxford University and was heading to the airport to fly there earlier than expected because of an earlier class. Peter managed to catch her and professed his love to her, and agreed to go to England with her. They were interrupted by a blackout caused by Electro. Peter took Gwen down to where the police were and Gwen helped him solve his web-shooter problem. Peter, as Spider-Man, went to fight Electro. As Electro had Spider-Man in the air and was electrocuting him, Gwen drove a police car into Electro, against Peter's demands. Gwen and Peter planned to defeat Electro by overloading his electricity supply.
Just after they successfully stopped Electro, Harry flew past, now as the Green Goblin, and figured out Spider-Man’s identity. He wanted revenge for being refused the life saving blood transfusion. Goblin took Gwen and dropped her, Spider-Man caught her and left her on a gear. Spider-Man and Goblin fought at the top of the clock tower, and Spider-Man managed to subdue the Goblin. However, during the fight, Gwen fell and was left dangling from a web connected to one of the gears. The gears turned and cut the web, and Gwen fell once again. Peter tried to save Gwen, diving after her and using his web to catch her. As the web made contact with Gwen, her head hit the floor dying instantly from fatal internal trauma in the impact.
Five months passed and Spider-Man was nowhere to be seen in New York, as Peter was spending every day at Gwen's grave. Peter was inspired by a recording of Gwen's graduation speech and made his return as Spider-Man to fight the Rhino.
To be added
- Peter Parker - Boyfriend.
- George Stacy - Father; deceased.
- Helen Stacy - Mother.
- Howard Stacy - Brother.
- Philip Stacy - Brother.
- Simon Stacy - Brother.
- Flash Thompson - Former classmate.
- Curt Connors - Superior and enemy.
- Norman Osborn - Former employer; deceased.
- Maxwell Dillon - Co-worker and enemy.
- Harry Osborn - Employer turned enemy and killer.
- Canon (2 films)
- Canon (1 comics)
Behind the scenes
- Actress Emma Stone is a natural Blond, she had dyed her hair red and returned to her natural hair color for the role in both films.
- Before Emma Stone was cast as Gwen Stacy, Mia Wasikowska, Teresa Palmer, Dianna Agron, Imogen Poots, Emma Roberts, Lindsay Lohan, Lily Collins, Ophelia Lovibond, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Georgina Haig, Hilary Duff and Dominique McElligott were considered for the lead female role. Lovibond would later be cast in Guardians of the Galaxy.
- In the comics, Betty Brant was Peter's first love.
- Gwen knowing about Peter as Spider-Man came from the Ultimate version of Gwen Stacy.
- Bryce Dallas Howard played Gwen Stacy in Spider-Man 3. Emma Stone co-starred with Howard in the 2011 Oscar nominated film The Help.
- Gwen's death was inspired by the comic, "The Night Gwen Stacy Died".
- The differences from the comic is that besides on the Brooklyn Bridge, her death takes place in a clock tower next to the bridge.
- Instead of Norman Osborn killing her, it is Harry Osborn, his son. Both still are the Green Goblin persona.
- Towards the end of the second film, Gwen Stacy wears a mint colored coat and a purple skirt, this is a reference to the controversial "Night That Gwen Stacy Died" story arc in the comics where she wore a very similar outfit.