Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Read on only if you don't mind reading spoilers for the film.
|Writer(s):|| Story by:|
C. Robert Cargill
C. Robert Cargill
|Expected Release:||November 4, 2016|
Doctor Strange is an upcoming film that will be part of Phase 3 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It is set to be released on November 4, 2016.
Marvel’s Doctor Strange follows the story of the talented neurosurgeon Doctor Stephen Strange who, after a tragic car accident, must put ego aside and learn the secrets of a hidden world of mysticism and alternate dimensions. Based in New York City’s Greenwich Village, Doctor Strange must act as an intermediary between the real world and what lies beyond, utilising a vast array of metaphysical abilities and artifacts to protect the Marvel cinematic universe.
- Benedict Cumberbatch as Stephen Strange/Doctor Strange
- Chiwetel Ejiofor as Baron Karl Mordo
- Rachel McAdams as Christine Palmer
- Benedict Wong as Wong
- Mads Mikkelsen as Kaecilius
- Tilda Swinton as The Ancient One
- Michael Stuhlbarg as Nicodemus West
- Benjamin Bratt as Jonathan Pangborn
- Scott Adkins as Lucian
- Amy Landecker as Dr. Bruner
- Zara Phythian as Brunette Zealot
- Alaa Safi as Tall Zealot
- Katrina Durden as Blonde Zealot
- Linda Louise Duan as Tina Minoru
- Mark Anthony Brighton as Daniel Drumm
- Stan Lee as Bus Passenger
- Chris Hemsworth as Thor Odinson
Continuity and References to the Marvel Cinematic Universe
- Stephen Strange is introduced.
- The Ancient One is introduced.
- Karl Mordo is introduced.
- Kaecilius is introduced.
- Christine Palmer is introduced.
- Nicodemus West is introduced.
- Wong is introduced.
- Dormammu is introduced.
- Jonathan Pangborn is introduced.
- Daniel Drumm is introduced.
- Tina Minoru is introduced.
- The Sanctum Sanctorum is introduced.
- Kamar-Taj is introduced.
- The Masters of the Mystic Arts are introduced.
- The Zealots are introduced.
- The Chamber of Relics is introduced.
- The Eye of Agamotto is introduced.
- The Infinity Stones Time gem is introduced.
- The Cloak of Levitation is introduced.
- The Book of the Vishanti is introduced.
- The Sling Ring is introduced.
- The Wand of Watoomb is introduced.
- The Staff of One is introduced.
- Scythe Daggers are introduced.
- The Zealots are introduced.
- The Quarterstaff is introduced.
- The Dark Dimension is introduced.
- Darkforce appears.
- Avengers Tower can be seen.
- The Avengers are mentioned.
- James Rhodes is mentioned.
- Thor Odinson appears.
- Odin Borson is mentioned.
- Loki Laufeyson is mentioned.
Kevin Feige had this to say about Doctor Strange "I think 'Dr. Strange' would kick ass. I think we've done very well at the superhero genre, if you will, this street level superhero aspect of the Marvel Universe. I think with Thor you'll see us cracking into the cosmic side of the Marvel Universe in a very good way that's never been done before in our movies and I'd love to get into that supernatural element. I think that Dr. Strange could be a good way of being the lynchpin to that universe with Werewolf By Night, with Blade again someday – that side of the Marvel Universe."
Stephen Strange's existence in the Marvel Cinematic Universe was confirmed by a line in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, in which Jasper Sitwell mentions that he is one of the targets of Project Insight.
On June 3, 2014, Scott Derrickson was confirmed to direct the film. Also in June, it was revealed that Marvel was looking at Tom Hardy and Benedict Cumberbatch for leads in the film and that Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer were still attached (since 2010) to write the screenplay. In Mid-June, it was announced that Jared Leto is also in the running to portray Stephen Strange, and that screenwriter Jon Spaihts will write the screenplay for the film.
On August 29, 2014, it was announced that Phoenix entered final negotiations.
On October 1, 2014, it was announced that talks with Phoenix have ended and the studio is actively searching for their lead actor. In December 2014, Deadline reported that Phoenix never had a deal with Marvel Studios. On October 27, 2014, it was revealed that Benedict Cumberbatch was in final negotiations to play Doctor Strange. At the end of October, it was announced on the Marvel Event Liveblog it will be released on November 4, 2016.
On December 4, 2014, Marvel finalized it's deal with Benedict Cumberbatch to portray Stephen Strange.
In June 2015, Chitwetel Ejiofor was cast as Baron Mordo.Also in June, Scott Derrickson stated that he's making his move to London to start production on the film. Later in the month, Feige confirmed that Strange's Sanctorum would appear in the film and be located on Bleecker Street in New York City's Greenwich Village, as in the comics.
In July 2015, Tilda Swinton confirmed she will be portraying The Ancient One in the film. By the end of the month, it was reported that Rachel McAdams was being considered for the female lead in the film, but McAdams cautioned that "it's still super-early, and I don't know where that's gonna go, if it's gonna go anywhere at all.".
In August 2015, Mads Mikkelsen was being eyed to play the films villain.
In November 2015, actor Michael Stuhlbarg was cast as Nicodemus West while THR confirmed Mikkelsen was signed on.
The film was shot at Pinewood-Shepperton in the UK, with crews being assembled for a move into Shepperton Studios in late 2014/early 2015. Filming began in November 2015 and wrapped in April 2016.
- The film has been in development since 1986.
- According to Kevin Feige, the concept of magic in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is inspired by The Matrix (1999) and the fantasy works of Stanley Kubrick and Hayao Miyazaki: "Have you watched the Cosmos (1980) series? That's magic, the quantum physics. If somebody knew how to tap into that stuff, what's the difference between that and magic? You don't get into it in Harry Potter, but if a scientist went to Hogwarts he'd find out how some of that stuff is happening! We're not going to spend a lot of time on it, but there will be some of that, particularly for a character like Dr Strange, who goes from a man of science to a man of faith and who traverses both worlds. And sometimes there won't be an answer! Sometimes he'll want an answer - 'How is this happening?' - and nothing."
- Comic book writers Stan Lee and Steve Ditko based Dr Strange on Hollywood actor Vincent Price. He even bears the middle name of Vincent.
- Wes Craven was set to direct in 1992. Later in 2001, David S. Goyer was going to write and direct. In 2008, Guillermo del Toro was brought on as director. In 2014, Mark Andrews, Jonathan Levine, Nikolaj Arcel, Scott Derrickson and Dean Israelite were on the shortlist to direct.
- Scott Derrickson was appointed as director, beating Jonathan Levine and Mark Andrews.
- Johnny Depp was rumored for the main role.
- Joaquin Phoenix was the studio's second choice for the role of Stephen Strange but after a few months of deliberation, he eventually turned down the offer due his reluctance to do a multi-picture deal that was required by the studio if he signed on.
- The origins of Doctor Stephen Strange will mirror the comics.
- Colin Farrell, Jake Gyllenhaal, Tom Hardy, Ethan Hawke Jack Huston, Oscar Isaac, Jared Leto, Matthew McConaughey, Ewan McGregor, Keanu Reeves, Justin Theroux, Jon Hamm, Johnny Depp, & Joseph Gordon-Levitt were all considered or rumored for the role of Stephen Strange.
- Patrick Dempsey publicly expressed an interest in playing Stephen Strange.
- Benedict Cumberbatch is the 10th actor from The J.R.R Tolkien films to enter the Marvel universe. Martin Freeman portrayed Everett Ross in Captain America: Civil War, Billy Boyd portrayed Guitar Player in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Evangeline Lilly portrayed Hope van Dyne in Ant-Man, Andy Serkis portrayed Ulysses Klaue in Avengers: Age of Ultron, Lee Pace portrayed Ronan the Accuser in Guardians of the Galaxy, Brad Dourif portrayed Thomas Nash in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Richard Armitage portrayed Heinz Kruger in Captain America: The First Avenger, Hugo Weaving portrayed Red Skull in Captain America: The First Avenger and Liv Tyler portrayed Elizabeth Ross in The Incredible Hulk.
- Derrickson's writing parter on such films as Sinister, among others was brought on to rewrite Spaihts script for over a year.
- This is the second collaboration between Benedict Cumberbatch and Chiwetel Ejiofor, the first being 12 Years A Slave (2013)
- Community and Rick and Morty creator Dan Harmon wrote additional scenes for the film.
- Working title for the film was Checkmate.
Promotion, Filming and Concept art
- ↑ Marvel’s ‘Doctor Strange’ and ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2’ Synopses Released
- ↑ Will Dr. Strange Be Marvel’s First Superhero To Fly Under the Disney Banner?
- ↑ ‘Sinister’s Scott Derrickson To Direct ‘Doctor Strange’ For Marvel
- ↑ Marvel Starts ‘Doctor Strange’ Search: Tom Hardy, Benedict Cumberbatch Early Wish-Listers
- ↑ Marvel Setting Jon Spaihts To Script ‘Doctor Strange'
- ↑ Joaquin Phoenix Eyed to Star in Marvel's ‘Doctor Strange’ (Exclusive)
- ↑ Exclusive: Joaquin Phoenix in Final Talks to Lead DOCTOR STRANGE
- ↑ Joaquin Phoenix ‘Doctor Strange’ Talks End; Back To Square One
- ↑ Benedict Cumberbatch ‘Doctor Strange’ Deal Closes At Marvel
- ↑ Benedict Cumberbatch To Play ‘Doctor Strange’
- ↑ Marvel Studios Event Liveblog
- ↑ Benedict Cumberbatch to Play Doctor Strange
- ↑ Marvel Courting Chiwetel Ejiofor for Leading Role in 'Doctor Strange' (Exclusive)
- ↑ Tilda Swinton in Talks to Join Benedict Cumberbatch in Marvel's 'Doctor Strange' (Exclusive)
- ↑ Chiwetel Ejiofor’s ‘Doctor Strange’ Character Revealed: He’ll Play Baron Mordo
- ↑ @scottderrickson Leaving now for London to make Doctor Strange.
- ↑ Expect “Mind-Bending Weirdness” From Doctor Strange, Says Kevin Feige
- ↑ Tilda Swinton Explains Why She’s “Really, Really, Really Excited” to Star in Marvel’s ‘Doctor Strange’
- ↑ Rachel McAdams Eyed for Female Lead in Marvel’s ‘Doctor Strange’
- ↑ Rachel McAdams Does Fame Her Way
- ↑ @AmyKinLA: In case you were wondering, here was McAdams' full response to the "Doctor Strange" thang: http://i.imgur.com/f5YT0sF.png
- ↑ ‘Doctor Strange’ Eyes ‘Hannibal’ Star Mads Mikkelsen to Play Villain (EXCLUSIVE)
- ↑ Michael Stuhlbarg in Talks to Join 'Doctor Strange' (Exclusive)
- ↑ 'Doctor Strange': Filming location and possible release date revealed
- ↑ Marvel's 'Doctor Strange' Heading to U.K.'s Pinewood Studios
- ↑ Benedict Cumberbatch's Doctor Strange Starts Filming In November
- ↑ SINISTER'S C. Robert Cargill Revealed as DOCTOR STRANGE Writer
|Marvel Cinematic Universe|
|Phase 1||Iron Man | The Incredible Hulk | Iron Man 2 | Thor | Captain America: The First Avenger | The Avengers|
|Phase 2|| Iron Man 3 | Thor: The Dark World | Captain America: The Winter Soldier | Guardians of the Galaxy|
Avengers: Age of Ultron | Ant-Man
|Phase 3|| Captain America: Civil War | Doctor Strange | Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 | Spider-Man: Homecoming |
Thor: Ragnarok | Black Panther | Avengers: Infinity War | Captain Marvel | Avengers 4
|One-Shots|| The Consultant | A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor’s Hammer | Item 47 | Agent Carter |
All Hail the King
|TV Shows||Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter|
|Netflix Series||Daredevil | Jessica Jones | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | The Defenders | The Punisher|