Read on only if you don't mind reading spoilers for the film.
|Writer(s):|| Rhett Reese|
|Expected Release:||Feburary 12, 2016|
Deadpool is an upcoming film now in development as part of the X-Men franchise.
To be added
- Ryan Reynolds as Wade Wilson/Deadpool
- Gina Carano as Angel Dust
- T.J. Miller as a to-be-confirmed character
- Ed Skrein as a to-be-confirmed character
- To-be-confirmed actor as Peter Rasputin/Colossus
- Morena Baccarin as a to-be-confirmed character
In February 2004, New Line Cinema attempted to produce a Deadpool film with writer/director David S. Goyer working on the spin-off and actor Ryan Reynolds in the title role. However, by August, Goyer lost interest in favor of other projects. In March 2005, 20th Century Fox became interested in moving forward on production for Deadpool after New Line Cinema put the project in turnaround.
The studio considered the Deadpool spin-off early in the development of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, with Reynolds being cast for the role. After the opening weekend success of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, the studio announced that it was lending Deadpool out to writers with Donner acting as a producer. Donner said that she wants the film to ignore the Deadpool of X-Men Origins: Wolverine and reboot the character. She also stated that Deadpool will have the attributes that the character has in the comics, such as breaking the fourth wall.
Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick were hired to write the script in January 2010. Robert Rodriguez was sent an early draft of the screenplay in June 2010, but negotiations broke down and Adam Berg as the top contender to direct.
In April 2011, visual effects specialist Tim Miller was hired as director.
On July 28, 2014, visual effects test footage for the film was leaked on the internet through social news sites and movie blogs. The test footage features the motion capture work and the voice of Ryan Reynolds, and was produced in 2012. On July 29, the test footage was officially released online by Blur Studio, the company who created the test footage. Fan reaction to the test footage was overwhelmingly positive.
On September 18, 2014, the film was officially announced with a release date of February 6, 2016 with Tim Miller set as the director.
On October 4, 2014, ComicBook.com stated that producer Simon Kinberg confirmed that the film would be set in the same shared cinematic universe with the other X-Men films. On October 16, Kinberg told ComicBook.com, "There's definitely a sort of overall plan that we've all been talking about for the X-Men universe now, and Deadpool obviously fits into that. So yeah, I guess I would say it's part of certainly an overall timeline and thought process that goes into these films."
On January 6, 2015, The Wrap reported that T.J. Miller and Ed Skrein are being eyed for roles in the film. Specifically, Miller is reportly in talks to portray a character who "serves as an additional comic voice to compliment Deadpool, who often breaks the fourth wall and speaks directly to the audience." while Skrein is being eyed as a villian for the film.
In February 2015, six actresses were announced to be on the shortlist for the lead female role. That list includes Sarah Greene, Jessica De Gouw, Morena Baccarin, Taylor Schilling, Crystal Reed, and Rebecca Rittenhouse. Also in February, the working title for the film was revealed to be WHAM! after the band of the same name. On February 13, 2015, T.J. Miller was cast in an unspecifed role, Gina Carano was cast as Angel Dust, and Colossus is slated to appear, though it's not yet known if Daniel Cudmore will reprise the role from previous X-Men films, or if a new actor will be playing the part. On February 17, 2015, Cudmore confirmed via Twitter that he will not be reprising the role of Colossus and that the part is being recast. The next day, Baccarin, one of the six circling actresses, was cast as the female lead in an unspecified role.
- A 3 minute test reel was shot in January 2012 in an attempt to convince the heads of the studio to move forward with the movie. On August 1st 2014, the footage was released to the public, and based on the overwhelmingly positive response from fans, the film's chances of being made are higher than ever.
- This movie is the second X-Men spinoff that does not revolve around Wolverine. The first being X-Men: First Class, in which Hugh Jackman has a cameo appearence, and Gambit, which will focus on the title character.
Promotional, Filming, and Concept art
- ↑ Deadpool And Gambit: The Long Road To 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'... And Beyond?
- ↑ Goyer Confirms Deadpool
- ↑ Goyer Nixes Deadpool
- ↑ The Latest on The Flash & Deadpool
- ↑ 'Deadpool' spinoff in works at Fox
- ↑ The Future of the X-Men Franchise: Deadpool
- ↑ Fox taps Deadpool writers
- ↑ Comic-Con: Robert Rodriguez Has Read 'Deadpool' Script, Doesn't Know If He'll Direct
- ↑ A New Entrant Into The 'Deadpool'
- ↑ Fox Sets Tim Miller to Direct 'Deadpool'
- ↑ Leaked! VFX Test Footage From DEADPOOL Movie!
- ↑ Deadpool Test Footage by Blur Studios
- ↑ Ryan Reynolds Talks Reaction To Leaked Deadpool Footage
- ↑ X-Men Spinoff ‘Deadpool’ to Hit Theaters Feb. 12, 2016
- ↑ Simon Kinberg Confirms Deadpool Movie Is Part Of Shared X-Men Cinematic Universe
- ↑ Simon Kinberg Talks X-Men, Fantastic Four, And Deadpool
- ↑ Uh... It's Chimichanga Time. pic.twitter.com/ZlknW4HOtj
- ↑ Ryan Reynolds In 'Deadpool' Deal
- ↑ Ryan Reynolds Announces His Return as Deadpool on Twitter
- ↑ Ryan Reynolds’ ‘Deadpool’ Eyes ‘Silicon Valley’s’ T.J. Miller, ‘Transporter Legacy’s’ Ed Skrein (Exclusive)
- ↑ ‘Deadpool’ Recruits T.J. Miller and Ed Skrein
- ↑ @VancityReynolds: Can't wait for us all to snap our fingers menacingly to the Cats Soundtrack. @missmorenab @nottjmiller @ginacarano @edskrein #deadpool
- ↑ Homeland’s Morena Baccarin, ‘Orange Is The New Black’s Taylor Schilling On ‘Deadpool’ Female Lead Short List
- ↑ Working Title For DEADPOOL Is His Old Favorite Band
- ↑ GINA CARANO, T.J. MILLER JOIN "DEADPOOL" CAST, COLOSSUS EXPECTED TO APPEAR
- ↑ Gina Carano Joins Ryan Reynolds in Fox's 'Deadpool' (Exclusive)
- ↑ @danielcudmore: Thanks everyone for all the support for me 2 reprise the role of #Colossus in #Deadpool but unfortunately it won't be happening for me
- ↑ Morena Baccarin Nabs Female Lead in 'Deadpool' (Exclusive)
- ↑ Deadpool Set to Begin Production in March as Ryan Reynolds Signs on to Return
- ↑ Ryan Reynolds to shoot 'Deadpool' in hometown Vancouver
- ↑ Ryan Reynolds on TWITTER: @VancityReynolds - Sepia tone disguises the fact the mask is ballerina pink. It's early. 365 sleeps early. #deadpool #prototypes pic.twitter.com/PekFa2KS7S
|Films|| X-Men | X2 | X-Men: The Last Stand | X-Men Origins: Wolverine | X-Men: First Class | The Wolverine|
X-Men: Days of Future Past
|Development||Deadpool | X-Men: Apocalypse | Wolverine 3 | X-Force | Gambit | Other|
|Released||X-Men | X2 | The Last Stand | First Class | Days of Future Past|
|Development||Apocalypse | X-Force | Other|