Read on only if you don't mind reading spoilers for the film.
|Writer(s):|| Rhett Reese|
|Expected Release:||Feburary 12, 2016|
Deadpool is an upcoming film that will be part of the X-Men franchise.
Based upon Marvel Comics’ most unconventional anti-hero, Deadpool tells the origin story of former Special Forces operative turned mercenary Wade Wilson, who after being subjected to a rogue experiment that leaves him with accelerated healing powers, adopts the alter ego Deadpool. Armed with his new abilities and a dark, twisted sense of humor, Deadpool hunts down the man who nearly destroyed his life.
- Ryan Reynolds as Wade Wilson/Deadpool
- Morena Baccarin as Vanessa Carlysle/Copycat
- Gina Carano as Christine/Angel Dust
- T.J. Miller as Jack Hammer/Weasel
- Ed Skrein as Francis/Ajax
- Andre Tricoteux as Peter Rasputin/Colossus
- Brianna Hildebrand as Ellie Phimister/Negasonic Teenage Warhead
- Leslie Uggams as Blind Al
- Jed Rees as The Recruiter
In February 2004, New Line Cinema attempted to produce a Deadpool film with writer/director David S. Goyer working on the spin-off and actor Ryan Reynolds in the title role. However, by August, Goyer lost interest in favor of other projects. In March 2005, 20th Century Fox became interested in moving forward on production for Deadpool after New Line Cinema put the project in turnaround.
The studio considered the Deadpool spin-off early in the development of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, with Reynolds being cast for the role. After the opening weekend success of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, the studio announced that it was lending Deadpool out to writers with Donner acting as a producer. Donner said that she wants the film to ignore the Deadpool of X-Men Origins: Wolverine and reboot the character. She also stated that Deadpool will have the attributes that the character has in the comics, such as breaking the fourth wall.
Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick were hired to write the script in January 2010. Robert Rodriguez was sent an early draft of the screenplay in June 2010, but negotiations broke down and Adam Berg as the top contender to direct.
In April 2011, visual effects specialist Tim Miller was hired as director.
On July 28, 2014, visual effects test footage for the film was leaked on the internet through social news sites and movie blogs. The test footage features the motion capture work and the voice of Ryan Reynolds, and was produced in 2012. On July 29, the test footage was officially released online by Blur Studio, the company who created the test footage. Fan reaction to the test footage was overwhelmingly positive.
On September 18, 2014, the film was officially announced with a release date of February 6, 2016 with Tim Miller set as the director.
On October 4, 2014, ComicBook.com stated that producer Simon Kinberg confirmed that the film would be set in the same shared cinematic universe with the other X-Men films. On October 16, Kinberg told ComicBook.com, "There's definitely a sort of overall plan that we've all been talking about for the X-Men universe now, and Deadpool obviously fits into that. So yeah, I guess I would say it's part of certainly an overall timeline and thought process that goes into these films."
On January 6, 2015, The Wrap reported that T.J. Miller and Ed Skrein are being eyed for roles in the film. Specifically, Miller is reportly in talks to portray a character who "serves as an additional comic voice to compliment Deadpool, who often breaks the fourth wall and speaks directly to the audience." while Skrein is being eyed as a villian for the film.
In February 2015, six actresses were announced to be on the shortlist for the lead female role. That list includes Sarah Greene, Jessica De Gouw, Morena Baccarin, Taylor Schilling, Crystal Reed, and Rebecca Rittenhouse. Also in February, the working title for the film was revealed to be WHAM! after the band of the same name. On February 13, 2015, T.J. Miller was cast in an unspecifed role, Gina Carano was cast as Angel Dust, and Colossus is slated to appear, though it's not yet known if Daniel Cudmore will reprise the role from previous X-Men films, or if a new actor will be playing the part. On February 17, 2015, Cudmore confirmed via Twitter that he will not be reprising the role of Colossus and that the part is being recast. The next day, Baccarin, one of the six circling actresses, was cast as the female lead in an unspecified role. In March 2015, Miller revealed that he is playing Weasel, and Baccarin revealed that she is playing Vanessa. and Brianna Hildebrand joined the cast as Negasonic Teenage Warhead.
Principal photography commenced in March 23, 2015 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Filming is also scheduled to take place on the Georgia Viaduct in Vancouver on April 6, 2015. On May 29, 2015, Reynolds revealed that filming has been completed.
Continuty and References to Earth-10005
- Wade Wilson/Deadpool appears.
- The Weapon X Program appears.
- Vanessa Carlysle/Copycat is introduced
- Christine/Angel Dust is introduced.
- Jack Hammer/Weasel is introduced.
- Francis/Ajax is introduced.
- Peter Rasputin/Colossus appears.
- Ellie Phimister/Negasonic Teenage Warhead is introduced.
- Blind Al is introduced.
- The Recruiter is introduced.
- The X-Men Logo appears.
- A 3 minute test reel was shot in January 2012 in an attempt to convince the heads of the studio to move forward with the movie. On August 1st 2014, the footage was released to the public, and based on the overwhelmingly positive response from fans the film was put into production.
- This movie is the second X-Men spinoff that does not revolve around Wolverine. The first being X-Men: First Class, in which Hugh Jackman has a cameo appearence, and Gambit, which will focus on the title character.
- Ryan Reynolds has confirmed that this Deadpool will have no connection to the 'Weapon XI' Deadpool seen in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
- This is Ryan Reynolds fifth time in a comic book movie. He was previously Marvel's Hannibal in Blade: Trinity (2004), Wade Wilson in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. He was in Dark Horse's R.I.P.D. and in DC's Green Lantern.
- With the release of this film, Ryan Reynolds will become the second actor to play a title role in a DC Comics movie (Green Lantern) and Marvel Comics movie. The first was Halle Berry (Catwoman for DC and Storm for Marvel) and third is Ben Affleck. (Batman for DC and Daredevil for Marvel).
- Daniel Cudmore who portrayed Colossus announced that he wasn't reprising his role in the film.
- Reynolds revealed that Deadpool breaks the fourth wall and is a character that's aware he's in a film.
- Speculation as to weither or not the official image of Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool was CGI had been debated by fans, but writer Rhett Reese confirmed that it was Reynolds in the costume.
- The official costume image is based off of Burt Reynold's 1972 Cosmopolitan centerfold.
- In the leaked script for the film, comic book characters Garrison Kane, Sluggo and Wyre are all featured. X-Men Origins: Wolverine is referenced as well as Hugh Jackman's Wolverine.
- In the image of Deadpool sitting on the toilet, Reynolds as Deadpool can be seen reading a Deadpool comic. This particular comic is Deadpool #250, where Deadpool gets killed off.
- Ryan Reynolds took the Deadpool suit from set.
- Deadpool is in some hand-to-hand combat with a guy from his past, someone named "Bob." He is never identified as "Bob, Agent of Hydra", but Deadpool knows him and has a friendly chat as the two square off.
Promotion, Filming, and Concept art
Promotion and Clips
- ↑ DEADPOOL Movie Logo & Synopsis Revealed
- ↑ Deadpool And Gambit: The Long Road To 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'... And Beyond?
- ↑ Goyer Confirms Deadpool
- ↑ Goyer Nixes Deadpool
- ↑ The Latest on The Flash & Deadpool
- ↑ 'Deadpool' spinoff in works at Fox
- ↑ The Future of the X-Men Franchise: Deadpool
- ↑ Fox taps Deadpool writers
- ↑ Comic-Con: Robert Rodriguez Has Read 'Deadpool' Script, Doesn't Know If He'll Direct
- ↑ A New Entrant Into The 'Deadpool'
- ↑ Fox Sets Tim Miller to Direct 'Deadpool'
- ↑ Leaked! VFX Test Footage From DEADPOOL Movie!
- ↑ Deadpool Test Footage by Blur Studios
- ↑ Ryan Reynolds Talks Reaction To Leaked Deadpool Footage
- ↑ X-Men Spinoff ‘Deadpool’ to Hit Theaters Feb. 12, 2016
- ↑ Simon Kinberg Confirms Deadpool Movie Is Part Of Shared X-Men Cinematic Universe
- ↑ Simon Kinberg Talks X-Men, Fantastic Four, And Deadpool
- ↑ Uh... It's Chimichanga Time. pic.twitter.com/ZlknW4HOtj
- ↑ Ryan Reynolds In 'Deadpool' Deal
- ↑ Ryan Reynolds Announces His Return as Deadpool on Twitter
- ↑ Ryan Reynolds’ ‘Deadpool’ Eyes ‘Silicon Valley’s’ T.J. Miller, ‘Transporter Legacy’s’ Ed Skrein (Exclusive)
- ↑ ‘Deadpool’ Recruits T.J. Miller and Ed Skrein
- ↑ @VancityReynolds: Can't wait for us all to snap our fingers menacingly to the Cats Soundtrack. @missmorenab @nottjmiller @ginacarano @edskrein #deadpool
- ↑ Homeland’s Morena Baccarin, ‘Orange Is The New Black’s Taylor Schilling On ‘Deadpool’ Female Lead Short List
- ↑ Working Title For DEADPOOL Is His Old Favorite Band
- ↑ GINA CARANO, T.J. MILLER JOIN "DEADPOOL" CAST, COLOSSUS EXPECTED TO APPEAR
- ↑ Gina Carano Joins Ryan Reynolds in Fox's 'Deadpool' (Exclusive)
- ↑ @danielcudmore: Thanks everyone for all the support for me 2 reprise the role of #Colossus in #Deadpool but unfortunately it won't be happening for me
- ↑ Morena Baccarin Nabs Female Lead in 'Deadpool' (Exclusive)
- ↑ T.J. Miller on TWITTER: @notTJMiller: Yes yes y'all. Weasel in the house. #Vancouver
- ↑ Morena Baccarin on TWITTER: @MissMorenaB: Let's do this.
- ↑ 'Deadpool' Casts Newcomer as Negasonic Teenage Warhead (Exclusive)
- ↑ VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds CONFIRMS That DEADPOOL Will Be Rated-R...In Costume!
- ↑ DEADPOOL: Ed Skrein Confirms He'll Play 'Ajax' In The Movie
- ↑ Leslie Uggama Joins Cast of Deadpool
- ↑ Director Tim Miller Breaks Down The DEADPOOL Trailer & Teases A Possible Sequel
- ↑ ‘Deadpool’ begins filming in Vancouver; will close Georgia viaduct on April 6
- ↑ @VancityReynolds: #Deadpool has been a privilege to make. And we got to make this film because of you. Gonna eat a samich now. #wrapped
- ↑ Ed Skrein Reveals New Details About His Take On 'Ajax' In DEADPOOL; Confirms 'Weapon X'
- ↑ Ryan Reynolds talks 'cussing legend' Helen Mirren and his excitement for Deadpool
- ↑ Rhett Reese on TWITTER: @RhettReese: There’s been some online debate, but that *is* Ryan Reynolds in the actual costume.
- ↑ Ryan Reynolds Spoofs Burt Reynolds In First 'Deadpool' Photo
- ↑ Deadpool Script Review (With Excerpts)
- ↑ Ryan Reynolds on TWITTER: @VancityReynolds: Sepia tone disguises the fact the mask is ballerina pink. It's early. 365 sleeps early. #deadpool #prototypes pic.twitter.com/PekFa2KS7S
|Films|| X-Men | X2 | X-Men: The Last Stand | X-Men Origins: Wolverine | X-Men: First Class | The Wolverine|
X-Men: Days of Future Past
|Development||Deadpool | X-Men: Apocalypse | Gambit | Wolverine | X-Force | Other|
|Released||X-Men | X2 | The Last Stand | First Class | Days of Future Past|
|Development||Apocalypse | X-Force | Other|