- This article is about the The Amazing Spider-Man character. For the character from the Raimi series, see Curtis Connors (Raimi series).
|Alias(es)|| Curt Connors|
|Appeared in||The Amazing Spider-Man|
- "I spent my life as scientist trying to create a world without weakness, without outcasts. I sought to create a stronger human being but there's no such thing, human beings are weak, pathetic, feeble minded creatures. Why be human at all when we can be so much more? Faster, stronger, smarter, this is my gift to you!"
- ―Curt Connors [src]
Dr. Curtis "Curt" Connors is the mentor of Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy. He attempts to grow his lost arm back with a regeneration serum, but instead turns into the Lizard. He is a former scientist at Oscorp.
One of the leading scientific minds, Dr. Connors attempts to engineer a revolutionary regeneration serum to help re-grow limbs and human tissue. He worked with Richard Parker on the cross-species genetics theory, but when Richard disappeared, all seemed lost until Connors met Peter Parker, Richard's son.
Peter gave Connors the equation that would prove to be correct, and the Doctor started work on mouse subjects, but Dr. Ratha forced him to begin the human trials. When Connors refused, Ratha fired him. Connors instead did the test on himself, and while he did regrow his arm the serum had an unfortunate side-effect which resulted in him becoming turning into a man - lizard hybrid.
The Lizard fought Spider-Man, Peter's alter ego, on a bridge in which he tried to kill Ratha , in the sewers, and in Midtown Science High School, before Spider-Man tried to make an antidote for the Lizard Serum. Lizard's ideas became more dangerous, as he tried to infect all of Manhattan with the Lizard Serum.
Spider-Man fought The Lizard on Oscorp Tower, where Lizard had wanted to release the Serum, Spidey, along with Captain Stacy, tried to stop him, resulting in Lizard murdering Stacy. Spider-Man, at the last second, switched out the Lizard Serum and the Antidote with each other, so that the Antidote would spread over New York, saving all previously infected. Peter began to fall from the tower, and would've died, but Dr. Connors, free of the Lizard, took his hand and saved him. Connors, sadly, was then taken into custody.
Later, in his cell in a psychiatric hospital, Connors is visited by a mysterious man, who asks him if Peter knew the "truth" about his father. Connors replied no, but that the man should not harm Peter. The man then vanishes.
One of Oscorp's leading scientific minds, Dr. Connors attempts to engineer a revolutionary regeneration serum to help re-grow limbs and human tissue. Deep down Connors is a good man who simply "wanted to change the lives of millions, including his". However, when pressured to come up with results, he elects to become the first human test subject. While initially it works, however, it quickly changes and he mutates into a powerful man-lizard creature.
As the Lizard, he seems to displays traits similar to a certain type of being known; Although he displays an animalistic cunning and viciousness, however, he still displays Connors' intelligence, albeit somewhat twisted, to create a new breed of beings to inherit the world. As the Lizard, Connors displays superhuman abilities rivalling, if not surpassing Spider-Man's, such as superhuman strength, speed, agility, an ability to walk on walls, remarkable regenerative capabilties and utilizing his claws and tail to an effective degree to make him a lethal and powerful opponent to Spider-Man.
Powers and Abilities
Due to the serum he uses to regenerate missing body parts, it also had an unintended side effect. While transformed into the Lizard, Connors possesses a variety of superhuman attributes.
- Superhuman Strength: Connors himself has the normal physical strength of a human male of his age, height, and build that engages in little regular exercise. While transformed, he possesses sufficient superhuman strength. He can overpower normal humans, turn over standard vehicles such as cars and vans and even Spider-Man who himself is stronger than normal humans as well. His physical strength has extended into the muscles of his legs allowing him to leap great distances.
- Superhuman Speed: While transformed, Connors can run and move at speeds greater than that of the finest human athlete and can reach a top speed of about 45 miles per hour. He is shown to be slightly faster than Spider-Man himself.
- Superhuman Stamina: While transformed, Connors' advanced musculature produces considerably less fatigue toxins during physical activity than the musculature of an ordinary human. He can physically exert himself at peak capacity for about 24 hours before fatigue begins to impair him.
- Superhuman Durability: While transformed, Connors' scaly skin and superhumanly enhanced bodily tissues provide him much greater resistance to physical injury than an ordinary human. He can withstand great impact forces, falls from great heights, and small caliber bullets without sustaining injury.
- Superhuman Agility: In his transformed state, Connors' agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of even the finest human athlete. His agility rivals Spider-Man.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Connors' reflexes are similarly enhanced while transformed and are superior to those of the finest human athlete.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Despite the Lizard's physical durability, he can sustain physical injury. However, if injured, his body is able to rapidly regenerate damaged or destroyed tissue with much greater speed and efficiency than an ordinary human. While transformed, Connors' healing powers are developed to the point where he can fully regenerate missing limbs, just like many known reptile species.
- Tail: While transformed, Connors has a long, reptilian-like tail that he can use to help balance himself or as an offensive weapon. He is capable of whipping his tail at speeds of at least 70 miles per hour. Considering his strength and physical toughness, he can generate enough force to shatter concrete. He can also use it to strangle people with it. He was also seen actually detaching his tail in order to get Spider-Man off him; however with his regenerative capabilities; he grew a new one afterwards.
- Fangs & Claws: While transformed, Connors' fingers and toes are each tipped with razor sharp claws that, combined with his natural strength, are able to cut most conventional materials including flesh, bone, wood, stone, and some types of metals. He can punch through the roof of a car and can tear through metal objects like lockers and other stuff. His mouth is also filled with rows of razor sharp teeth that he can use as offensive weapons in close combat situations.
- Psionics: Connors as the Lizard, has a limited ability to command or attract reptlies to him. It is unknown if he is able to control it or not. This could also be the result of a kind of pheromone the Lizard may produce.
Connors has a genius-level intelligence and is an expert in reptiles as well. Although he has had no formal combat training, his powers alone coupled with his natural savagery in his transformed state make him a formidable combatant. In this form, he can talk and is still intelligent albeit twisted.
- Peter Parker/Spider-Man - Ally turned enemy.
- Gwen Stacy - Intern turned enemy; deceased.
- George Stacy - Victim; deceased.
- Rajit Ratha - Partner turned enemy; deceased.
- Richard Parker - Former partner.
- Norman Osborn - Employer; deceased.
- Canon (2 films)
Behind the scenes
- Ifans wore a green sleeve so his arm could be digitally removed in editing.
- This film marks the first time Dr. Curt Connors becomes The Lizard on film, played by Rhys Ifans. Although the character of Dr. Curt Connors appeared in the original Sam Raimi Spider-Man films, played by Dylan Baker, the character never became The Lizard in the films despite being hinted strongly too (orignally, the Lizard would be planned to appear in the scrapepd Spider-Man 4).
- Before Rhys Ifans was cast as Curt Connors, Michael Fassbender was originally considered for the role; he eventually went on to play Magneto in X-Men: First Class instead.
- In The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Connors didn't appear, but was mentioned by Harry Osborn in the Oscorp meeting scene.
- In the scrapped sequel of The Amazing Spider-Man 2, that was named The Amazing Spider-Man 3, the Lizard would be planned to reappear as a anti-hero, that was going to help Spider-Man to fight the Sinister Six. Is completely unknown if he would be died or survived in the film.
- The Lizard in The Amazing Spider-Man is missing several key features that he usually has in the comics, such as a snout and torn clothes (usually a white lab coat and purple pants). Marc Webb has stated that Lizard lacks a snout because Rhys Ifans is using motion-capture to play the character, and he belives that Ifan's emotions would have been lost if a snout was present. The clothes were also removed to give the character a more realistic look. Though he is seen wearing a labcoat a few of times, it's removed soon afterwords.
- The Daily Bugle viral site confirms that Connors was found guilty.