|Appeared in||Ghost Rider|
- "This is the end of the trail for me. I got nothing left, I could only change one more time and I was saving it for this. God knows I made my share of mistakes. I've been trying to make them right ever since. All I can do is hope he sees fit to give me a second chance."
- ―Carter Slade [src]
Carter Slade was the Ghost Rider before Johnny Blaze. Carter Slade was once a Texas Ranger, but got greedy. Slade was sentenced to death, but then a stranger came to him offer a deal that would free him. Slade became the Ghost Rider. Mephistopheles then sent Slade to the town of San Venganza, where he collected a contract that worth 1,000 souls. Knowing that these evil souls would cause hell on earth, Slade did what no Ghost Rider had done before: outrun the devil. Thus for the next 150 years, Slade hid the contract. Slade became known as the caretaker at a chapel's cemetery. Slade made a fake grave for himself to throw Mephistopheles off. When the new Ghost Rider, Johnny Blaze, came to his Father's grave there. Slade took Blaze, told him of the ghost rider and the hidden, and treated his wounds. Slade also tells Blaze of the penance stare. The next day, Slade told Blaze of the grave belonging to him. Slade tells Blaze that the grave holds the contract of San Venganza and that it must not fall into the hands of Blackheart nor Mephistopheles. Later that night, Blaze comes back to dig up the grave. Slade then reveals to Blaze that the contract was in his shovel. Though Slade cautions Blaze to think about this, Blaze convinces Slade to let him go. Slade accepts this because Blaze isn't doing it for greed, but for love which puts god on his side. Slade decides to go with Blaze, thus revealing himself as a fellow ghost rider and Carter Slade. Slade rides with Blaze showing him the way to San Venganza. When they reach the outskirts of San Venganza, Slade gives Blaze his shotgun and tells him to stick to the shadows. Slade then rides away, telling Blaze that he only had enough power to change one more time. Slade hopes that God might give him a second chance. Blaze thanks Slade and Slade fades in the distance.
- Johnny Blaze/Ghost Rider - Disciple and ally.
- Mephistopheles - Enemy, former master.
- Zarathos - Former demon possessor, reluctant ally.
- Blackheart - Enemy.
- Canon (1 film)
Behind the scenes
- Caretaker, in the comics, is a member of The Blood.
- Carter Slade is a separate character in the comics.
- Carter is also known as the 'Phantom Rider'. As he is seen with a cowboy hat, and rides a horse instead of a bike.
- When the Caretaker was created in comics, he was based off the actor Sam Elliott.
- Sam Elliott previously portrayed General Ross in Hulk.