Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Appeared in||Ghost Rider|
- "This is the end of the trail for me. I got nothing left, I could only change one more time and I was saving it for this. God knows I made my share of mistakes. I've been trying to make them right ever since. All I can do is hope he sees fit to give me a second chance."
- ―Carter Slade [src]
Carter Slade was the Ghost Rider before Johnny Blaze. Carter Slade was once a Texas Ranger, but got greedy. Slade was sentenced to death, but then a stranger came to him offer a deal that would free him. Slade became the Ghost Rider. Mephistopheles then sent Slade to the town of San Venganza, where he collected a contract that worth 1,000 souls. Knowing that these evil souls would cause hell on earth, Slade did what no Ghost Rider had done before: outrun the devil. Thus for the next 150 years, Slade hid the contract. Slade became known as the caretaker at a chapel's cemetery. Slade made a fake grave for himself to throw Mephistopheles off. When the new Ghost Rider, Johnny Blaze, came to his Father's grave there. Slade took Blaze, told him of the ghost rider and the hidden, and treated his wounds. Slade also tells Blaze of the penance stare. The next day, Slade told Blaze of the grave belonging to him. Slade tells Blaze that the grave holds the contract of San Venganza and that it must not fall into the hands of Blackheart nor Mephistopheles. Later that night, Blaze comes back to dig up the grave. Slade then reveals to Blaze that the contract was in his shovel. Though Slade cautions Blaze to think about this, Blaze convinces Slade to let him go. Slade accepts this because Blaze isn't doing it for greed, but for love which puts god on his side. Slade decides to go with Blaze, thus revealing himself as a fellow ghost rider and Carter Slade. Slade rides with Blaze showing him the way to San Venganza. When they reach the outskirts of San Venganza, Slade gives Blaze his shotgun and tells him to stick to the shadows. Slade then rides away, telling Blaze that he only had enough power to change one more time. Slade hopes that God might give him a second chance. Blaze thanks Slade and Slade fades in the distance.
Powers and Abilities
- Pyrogenesis: Ghost Rider can generate powerful demonic flames from his own body.
- Hellfire Manipulation: Ghost Rider is a powerful pyrokinesis and possesses the ability to generate, control, and project heat and fire, or "hellfire" at will. Hellfire is an empyreal and supernatural flame that burns the soul of a person and can be used to burn their physical body. He can utilize this fire in various ways, including projecting it from his eyes, hands, mouth, or even channel it from his body into his weapons like his shotgun, and even transform a regular horse into a demonic horse, gaining vast increases in speed and invulnerability.
- Invulnerability: Ghost Rider is immune to physical trauma, with every injury always healing instantly.
- Immortality: Carter has lived for 150 years and cannot die by natural means or most supernatural means.
- Johnny Blaze/Ghost Rider - Successor and ally.
- Mephistopheles - Enemy and former master.
- Zarathos - Ally and former angel possessor.
- Blackheart - Enemy.
Behind the scenes
- Caretaker, in the comics, is a member of The Blood.
- Carter Slade is a separate character in the comics.
- Carter is also known as the "Phantom Rider". As he is seen with a cowboy hat, and rides a horse instead of a bike.
- When the Caretaker was created in comics, he was based off the actor Sam Elliott.
- Sam Elliott previously portrayed General Ross in Hulk.